Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted my take on a new book, but more importantly I have posted a professional caliber book review by Beijing Medalist and long-time Best-Method acolyte Lindsey Carmichael.

At this point I would like to hear some feedback, good and bad, about this new book.

Please note that I am to blame for the name of the method.(And Coach Lee MAY be upset with me on this :D ) The book no longer uses the term "BEST METHOD". Why? because this has grown far more than that.
This book contains such careful and precise consideration of *every* aspect of what the archer must do that I found it to be identical (if not superior) to the studies I have done in my life as a Judo player and as a TaeKwanDo expert.

Please check out the reviews, and fire away with your questions. The book itself is in pre-order, on the way to the printers now as a limited edition, and the link I am posting should be of help.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Its no longer called the BEST method?!?

I think thats a good move. I feel that the name of the method has much to do with its resistance here.

Deep down, I think many long time American archers are pissed off because this Asian guy comes here and calls his method the best method!? That means the method that are using must be the worst then!

·
Registered
38,292 Posts
Please note that I am to blame for the name of the method.(And Coach Lee MAY be upset with me on this :D ) The book no longer uses the term "BEST METHOD". Why? because this has grown far more than that.
I was under the impression that the term BEST Method was a marketing name created by USA Archery for the system that KSL had already developed before he brought in as Head Coach for USA Archery, to differentiate Lee's work in the US from Lee's previous coaching roles, regardless of whether the system was different or not. I think USA Archery under estimated the backlash that would result from the cutesey and presumptive framing device they attempted to use by creating the "BEST" acronym. I'm not in the OTC loop, but AFIK Lee only made limited use of the term on his own extensive website, and none in his previous book Total Archery. So I don't see the non use of "BEST Method" in the book to be much more than a continuation of the "Total Archery" franchise and more or less the status quo for Lee's private projects.

The book looks like it will be gorgeous and informative, and it looks like it may well be an impressive debut for novice co-author, and long time Lee student, Tyler Benner. However, to people who are not getting free advance review copies, it will also be one of the most expensive archery books available, at $65 a copy. Frankly, I think the price is a bit steep for a 270 page archery book, even if it reflects the teachings one of the top archery coaches. But, the market for archery books is limited and in the context of what a private coach charges on hourly basis, the value proposition may actually be very good.

I'll be interested to hear what people think about it. I've already spent way too much money on archery books and not enough time reading them, so I'm wary off adding to my collection just to have the latest and greatest, but I'm also very interested in just what the book has to say.

As to the name, I can see the reasoning behind your tentative neologism, Kisikdo, however I think to outsiders that calling the USA Archery Olympic coaching and training system "Kisikdo" only emphasizes the current utter dependence of the the system on Coach Lee and further accidently implies a sort of cult-like reverence to coach Lee, so the name has some disadvantages.

On a side note, I wonder how contracts for coaches work. If Lee worked for a major corporation, all of his work on archery would be property of that corporation, even if he invented something on his own time. Such contracts are to keep someone from inventing something at work, keeping it to them selves and then exploiting it for their own direct profit. Coach Lee develops BEST, or whatever it shall be called, for USA Archery. By the fact that he can publish his own books and websites without, I assume, involving USA Archery, it seems pretty clear that Coach Lee does not have such an agreement. I would say that is for the best. Imagine if all his work in Korea, and in Australia, was somehow the Intellectual Property of those countries, how that would hamper our ability to hire him and learn from him. Yet I also wonder to what degree USA Archery should be producing educational material for USA Archery, rather than relying on Coach Lee to create materials on his own. I suppose it may make more sense for USA Archery to do the latter, since they don't have to pay Lee to do it, he risks his own money and he gets to skip the bureaucratic issues of producing material for an organization rather than for himself. In the end, having coach Lee make his own books results in a book the US archers can learn from. So that may be win/win. But it still seems odd that US archers will most likely be learning from a self published book rather than official training materials produced by the Head Coach and USA Archery. I'm not sure what to think about it.

·
Registered
195 Posts

I think thats a good move. I feel that the name of the method has much to do with its resistance here.

Deep down, I think many long time American archers are pissed off because this Asian guy comes here and calls his method the best method!? That means the method that are using must be the worst then!
Actually, Lee's method is called the KSL Shot Cycle if I remember correctly.

BEST was coined by some coaches in the US.

See this link for some background "http://usaajdt.com/best/best-introduction-background/"

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've posted my take on a new book, but more importantly I have posted a professional caliber book review by Beijing Medalist and long-time Best-Method acolyte Lindsey Carmichael.

At this point I would like to hear some feedback, good and bad, about this new book.

This book contains such careful and precise consideration of *every* aspect of what the archer must do that I found it to be identical (if not superior) to the studies I have done in my life as a Judo player and as a TaeKwanDo expert.

Please check out the reviews, and fire away with your questions. The book itself is in pre-order, on the way to the printers now as a limited edition, and the link I am posting should be of help.
I would love to get my hands on a copy. Any word on when it is due to ship?

·
Registered
38,292 Posts
I would love to get my hands on a copy. Any word on when it is due to ship?
Total Archery*: Inside the Archer should ship in July and will be available through:
http://www.astraarchery.com/

and, of course, from Lancaster. See the link for details.

*I guess the first book wasn't actually "Total" or there wouldn't be more than one book :)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Your opinion is valid and there is something to your observations!

It was obvious o many that there was a huge inertial resistance caused by the nature of our organization.

Devising a special name to help set the stage for radical change was neccesary - it was TOTALLY AMERICAN. We name things, particulary with acronyms. Right?

the driving forces: Tom Parrish, Don Rabska, Tom Barker, and the others that were in the circle realized what a huge mountain they were looking at trying to budge. To quote Tom b the view was worth the climb. And no one ever said that the non-best methods were bad. The BEST method was simply a much better way to create a standard of excellence that could be taught to all age archers and could be UNIFORM between coaches from all over the US.
you ain't seen nuthin' yet. :D

As one of many regional high performance coaches, with more than a dozen seminars and training session under my belt, I can see that we are poised to move beyond the label "BEST" method. But I cain't stand not having a label for the purpose of discussing (and cussing). i'm open to alternatives, but from my backround and pentchant for chop-socky, and eastern philosophies, Kisikdo just makes sense.
Once you read this book, you the archer can adopt each tiny portion that makes sense to you, and leave the rest. ou will be a better and happier, more succesful archer as a result.
At least, that is my take after reading the drafts.

i gues we could call it the Total Archer Unified Theory. (TAUT). :) Bravo Coach Lee.

·
Registered
38,292 Posts
Devising a special name to help set the stage for radical change was neccesary - it was TOTALLY AMERICAN. We name things, particulary with acronyms. Right?...

But I cain't stand not having a label for the purpose of discussing (and cussing). i'm open to alternatives, but from my backround and pentchant for chop-socky, and eastern philosophies, Kisikdo just makes sense.
Again, I can see the reasoning behind your proposal, and who knows, the name might catch on, but if the goal is to sound American, I'd say that using an Eastern martial arts naming convention might not be the way to go, and I don't mean that as a slight to martial arts, which I am a fan and student of. And as much as the US System is dependent on coach lee, the name probably should not be. Coach Lee is clearly awesome, but we already know for a fact that he is perfectly willing to work for different countries and may move on--I don't know what his contract is like--so we might not want to make the name of the US system dependent on the developer, otherwise we'd just call it the KSL Shot Cycle, or some such. It is hard to know what to call it since it is so much the product of Coach Lee...

·
Registered
611 Posts
On order.

Well call me a sucker or an early adopter but I have already ordered my copy. Can't wait to see it and read it on the long trip home to Canada this summer.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are NOT a sucker. You WILL be amazed at the precision and in-depth nature of every point in this book. there is nothing, absoutley nothing, that is as indepth and conicise as Inside the Archer.

·
Truth is often ignored.
996 Posts
Trying to skim through it is like trying to drink from a fire hose. I'd encourage anyone to adjust their reading technique if you're going to get the most benefit.

Read each chapter carefully. Have a think about the information therein and then progress to the next only when you've got a good grounding about what is being said. Each chapter is building foundation knowledge to get to the next.

If you've got past the basics of archery, this is a book that you'll find yourself going back to many times. I have a sneaking suspicion that this will become a classic archery textbook.

Considering how expensive 12 decent arrows are, which are expendable, it seems rather cheap to buy a $65 book that will help you shoot them better and may last several lifetimes.

How much is knowledge worth to you, to be better at what you love doing?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
People won't bat an eye at spending 6 dollars (or more) for a Starbucks cup of joe, each and every day. A movie starts at around 8 bucks, popcorn and a drink easily add 10 bucks.
A book that can transform your outlook on archery and your level of happiness with how you shoot, well, priceless.
The cost of the is not inconsequential but the question is where your priorities are....

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Can you tell me...

...what is written regarding "Stance". I think he was going away from the wide open stance and moving towards a square stance. So what is written in this new book? Specifically what is written regarding the shoulders following the hips following the feet.

BEST Regards,

Tom

·
Registered
426 Posts
BEST and Stance

...what is written regarding "Stance". I think he was going away from the wide open stance and moving towards a square stance. So what is written in this new book? Specifically what is written regarding the shoulders following the hips following the feet.

BEST Regards,

Tom
The name BEST has not gone away. The book teaches the KSL Shot Cycle. In the USIt is still called BEST.

As for the stance, it is still open and was never moving toward square. The hips follow the feet as much as possible and shoulders are still rotated toward the target from the waist up.

Terry

·
Registered
611 Posts
shipped?

Has the new book shipped yet ?
I'm waiting for mine and hope to get it too study on my holidays
Anyone recieve they're copy yet?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts