Archery Talk Forum banner

Kisser Button Placement

6K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  Dekado 
#1 ·
Lately I have been shooting using my nose on the string but I feel like I cannot get a consistent anchor. I am considering using a kisser in an attempt to help the situation. I have used one in the past some with success, however my DL was way too long( I believe this has been corrected) Currently the bottom of the kisser is 1/8" above the top knot of my d-loop, the actual kisser is 3/8" above, and this feels pretty good after only a few shots. Does this seem similar to where others who have correct draw length are placing theirs or is it more a matter of personal preference?

#6 ·
Set proper DL. Anchor in comfortable and repeatable position. Set peep height and sight for type and distance. Then set kisser position. In that order. There is no 'standard' height for kisser placement. It is determined by bow geometry, personal physical attributes, anchor position and peep height.

#7 ·
cjohson-LOL, sounds like something I might do. thanks for looking
rolo- Did all of that. Was just wondering if that was close to what others were shooting. Thought body shape and personal pref would play a role in it though. thanks for the reply

#8 ·
mine is set at 1 1/2 inches from the center of the loop. For what it's worth, the shop I go to set all their peeps at 1 1/4".

#11 ·
A kisser button is not a crutch. It's a tool to help you, same as a peep or your consistent anchor point.

I put mine an inch and 3/8 above the top knot on the d-loop.

#15 ·
carlielos- with that crutch I used to get robinhoods on a regular basis so im trying to get back to that, just thought I would try the nose/string thing when I got my DL corrected
drumdude- sounds like a good idea. do you just use a piece of serving to tie the knot with?

Thanks for all the replies everyone

#19 ·
If somehow you feel you couldn't shoot that well with out a kisser button then you have confidence issues and other things Im not qualified to comment on!
I don't nor ever have used a crutch I mean kisser and if I were dumb enough to shoot all my arrows at the same spot id have more of those "robin hood's" I can stand financially!
At least recognize what it is, its a crutch, same as any, some may say a Peep or a release is a crutch so if it bothers you then so be it!

#16 ·
Mine is 1" from top knot of my dloop.

#17 ·
I made myself a nose kisser, I just put a brass nock on the string so that it touches the top of my nose and the string still touches the tip of my nose. I really like it, I don't have the string dug into my face and it only touches the tip of my nose so using a normal kisser would have forced me to change my anchor and press the string closer to my face.

#18 ·
I have "nose pickers" on all my bow strings.

Yes, just tie a knot by wrapping serving around a few times. I like to tie the knot so it actually "picks" at my nose so I can easily feel it. Even if my nose is very cold.

#23 ·
I honestly cant tell if my accuracy improved once I started using one but I do notice that I get settled in quicker and don't waste time getting my peep lined up with the sight ring because once I get to anchor and the nose peep hits its spot it is perfect. To me not wasting time getting settled in is worth having one.

#25 ·
I use a brass nock as a quasi kisser button in that I don't feel it unless my form is off and it is out of position. When my form is correct it sits just inside the very corner of my mouth and I can't even tell that it's there. I tried standard kisser buttons, but found them too cumbersome, and got annoyed at constantly having to re-tie the thread version while adjusting/getting everything settled in on my bow. I have a very long face and, as a result, my button is 1 3/4" up from the center of my nocking point - as others have said, experiment and find what works best for you.

#26 ·
well then, i'm an A-hole too, because I have to agree 110% with carlielos. funny thing is I know i'm not.
I never had much use for a kisser button, you mouth is way to flexible to be used as a index for your anchor. you can put the kisser in the corner of your mouth and then simply pull the corner of your mouth up or down to align your peep, without feeling or noticing the movement.....now which is actually doing the aligning?.
a god solid anchor point and a well adjusted peep, are the best two anchor point indexes, you can have.

the crutch is in the thought that a kisser actually helps.

#27 ·
A kisser button isn't a crutch. It's another reference point to bring consistency to an archers anchor position. People suggesting the opposite are ignorant.
For what it's worth, I don't even use one. But, Reo Wilde gets along pretty good on those crutches...

#29 ·
I am personally still getting better, just two years ago I was average at best punching my way around the local 3d courses. I ran into some guys who were pro quality shooters in my area and I witnessed what it means to be a good shooter and since then I have been trying to catch up and become one of them. I am now beating them in local shoots and league nights from time to time and this year I am better than I was last year so my goals are getting higher.

The minute you refuse to try something new because you think you are your best you have lost the battle and will never reach any new levels of shooting, I refuse to fall into this category.

#30 ·
I'm not opposed to kisser button but took mine off years ago. They aren't a crutch anymore then a bubble, or peep. I found that matching the peep to the diameter of the site made the biggest improvment for me. Logic might not be true but it seems to me that it forces me into the correct position every time. If I'm off somewhere the sight ring won't match the peep diameter.

#31 ·
Im one of those that uses a kisser as well. For the past few years I had gotten away from using a conventional kisser button attached with metal nocks and opted to use a a knot of serving tied in at were the kisser used to be. last year I started using a hinge release and that has taken some time to get used to, this year I raised my anchor point and this is taking some getting used to as well. One thing I found out quick was that I wasnt getting the feel of my make shift kisser button with my new anchor. I went back to the conventional kisser and all is well. Im 52 years old and new tricks dont come so easy, if using a kisser helps me to shoot better Im all over it!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.