Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, going in on Wednesday to have torn cartilage removed. Gonna miss the opening of bow season here in Maryland on Friday. :cry: Just wondering who else has had this done and how long before you were up and running. I'm hoping things will go well and I won't miss the best part of the season in late October to early November.

·
Registered
39 Posts
plan on 8 weeks I had the same surgery 5 weeks ago getting better but not good yet
do the exercises the doctor tells you and you should be in great shape for the "prime time season"

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Yep...

8 weeks to fully recover....

·
Registered
560 Posts
Knee surgery recovery

I am having the same operation on Thursday. My doctor told me 5-7 weeks to fully recover. I have a hunting trip planned for October 12-16 in Pike County Illinois, so I hope I will be ready to go. My doctor was not very excited about me going. Hope your surgery goes well.

·
Remember.. Archery is fun
3,323 Posts
Four weeks from having cartilage removed from the inside of my knee .... I was playing in a state softball tournament. :wink: Of course I was only 21 years old at the time, and I would have to ice it everytime I stress it also.

Good luck,
Nick

·
Registered
271 Posts
I had 2 knee surgeries, and I agree anywhere from 6 to 10 weeks of recovery and therapy. Make sure you get into taking supplements, like a combo supplement of MSM, Chondrotin, Glucosamine, Calcium, Magnesium, Shark Cartilage, and Iron. It help rebuild cartilage and joints, and it definitely helps. I went through back surgery as well, which put me out other physical things now because of mobility, nerve damage etc, but that combo supplements help rebuild the back to a certain extent. Good luck with your recovery, and you will be shooting in no time at all.:wink:

·
Lou & Jode
10,776 Posts
I had three mico surgeries on my left and one on the right knee all torn cartiage,the last one I was back to work in two weeks,that's on your feet work,if everything goes well it's really not that big a deal.But,with the second surgery on my left knee I got a staph infection,not such a small deal,it just about killed me,that was a long recovery.You should be more than good to go for the rut.God bless.

·
Registered
143 Posts
9 days

I had arthroscopic on my left knee in April. I was on the golf course after 9 days with very minimal discomfort. Asked the Dr., and he said activity as tolerated for pain.

Keep one thing in mind...everyone is different.

May all your arrows be true,
QuickStix

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've had five scopes done for torn medial meniscus & clean-up.
The first was done at 14, my latest was done at 43. I walked out of the Hospital without crutches.
With aggresive re-hab and lots of ice, I was back to about 90% in 1 1/2 weeks, 100% by 2 weeks.
Keeping the swelling down allows for a quick return to full range of motion and speedy recovery.
Find a good PT and let them know what your goal is. If you're in good shape to start with, it's easier to recover.

·
Registered
792 Posts
loujo61 said:
I had three mico surgeries on my left and one on the right knee all torn cartiage,the last one I was back to work in two weeks,that's on your feet work,if everything goes well it's really not that big a deal.But,with the second surgery on my left knee I got a staph infection,not such a small deal,it just about killed me,that was a long recovery.You should be more than good to go for the rut.God bless.
I feel for you too, I have the same operation above and got a major Staff infection some 6 years ago and since then I have had 3 other operations to try fix the infected knee without much success, and I have lost most of the cartilage from the left side of my left knee and I go under the knife this Friday for the biggest operation of my life, its called an OSTEOTOMY WEDGE IMPLANTATION and I’m peaking hard, about it.

Not trying to put you off but I would ask you doctor to give you a course of anti-biotic’s before and for at least 10 days after this is what they do in all hospitals in Australia lease days to help cope with the large problem with staff in this country hospitals.

·
Registered
903 Posts
knee surgery

Had my right knee scoped august 18 on the 20th I did a 3d shoot with minimual pain. Back to work without restrictions 1 week later and yes I use and abuse my knees alot as I am a tire technician. Constantly standing and knealling. If you have a good doctor you should be ok. Mine puts hockey playersa back on the ice in three days. Good luck

·
Registered
68 Posts
scope is the way too go

had 3 of them over the years, 2 weeks it about right, ice ice baby last one they wrapped the knee in a bladder hooked to a cooler filled with ice and circulated cold water on it all the time, just needed to add ice every few hours, walked out of the office, rode the wave runner that weekend,

·
Registered
618 Posts
When I in college in 1991 had my ACL and MCL removed. My ACl was still attach to a miss of bone in my knee but the bone splitered off. My mcl was torn into. I didnt back to playing basketball again for over 6 months. I have to wear a brace to support my knee in any sport now. Because my knee is unstable. I was told my the doctor to use frozen peas for my ice bag. Because they can me refrozen. Just listen to the Dr..

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well everyone, thanks for the words of encouragement and advice. I haven't had any major medical procedures performed since I had my tonsils out 43 years ago! So, I'm not quite sure what to expect.

Rossman, good luck on Thursday!

Thanks again everybody............

·
Registered
16 Posts
It depends on whether it is a meniscal repair or removal. If it is a repair, recovery will be 6-8 weeks. You will be limited on range of motion and will be non-weight bearing for 1-2 weeks. When they tack down the tear, you can't bend your knee because you may rub across the surface of the tacks and cause irritation or even back them out before they have scarred in. After that, it is all about ROM and regaining strength. If you have the damaged portion of your meniscus removed, it will only take you 10 days-2 weeks before you are able to do most activities. You will only have to use crutches if you feel like you need to. And everyone has their own opinions about Glucosamine, but there is only a little statistical evidence to show it helps. Some people swear it does help, so go for it. As far as Shark cartilege, don't waste your money. There is no significant evidence that it is beneficial, no more so than placebo. And NOTHING regrows cartilege. Once it's gone, it's gone. If you buy into the marketing hype, they'll tell you anything. Do some research before you start taking supplements. They aren't without their own side-effects. If you want to look at evidence, make sure it is done by independent parties. Good luck with your surgery. Push your rehab as hard as they let you, and you'll be back to 100% in no time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts