Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of making my own custom gut hook. I was hoping for a bit of inspiration before I just start grinding away. What designs have you used and what seems to work best for you. Pictures or links are kind of imperative in the request though. :cheers:

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've made a few knives but only one of them had a gut hook so I'm no expert. I used a knife with a gut hook many moons ago and I found that the gut hook feature was not of any real benefit. I made the one knife with a gut hook because I felt like doing something different.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I dunno Sqauaw, that's one of the prettiest gut knives I've ever seen... Maybe you should make some more! lol

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice Squawsach thanks for showing.
I'm thinking of making the standalone gut hook. I've always just used a straight edge my self but a friend of mine said it saved him a lot of time and hassle when unzipping his elk and so, if you know me that means I'm off to the shop.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I have not made many either, a few. I like the top part to be flat and dull and just have the cutting edge in the back of the hook. Not the expert either.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK here is my first attempt at it. Thanks for your help guys.

The Blade is some knife grade steel a friend of mine gave me it will need to be heat treated yet and I have a little finishing on it before I send it to be treated but I think you'll get the idea.
Also I need to know what size are the pins that most handles have in them. I was thinking 3/16" but I really am generally clueless so a little help would be appreciated. Oh and my other assumption is that they are brass am I correct in that assumption? The handle is the second buck I ever killed it was a small 6 point and the antlers had broken apart some where along the line so I figured they were a good candidate. I couldn't bring my self to cut up the first buck it was a real nice 8 point.

Attachments

·
Team #12 - 2009 Winners!!
10,149 Posts
OK here is my first attempt at it. Thanks for your help guys.

The Blade is some knife grade steel a friend of mine gave me it will need to be heat treated yet and I have a little finishing on it before I send it to be treated but I think you'll get the idea.
Also I need to know what size are the pins that most handles have in them. I was thinking 3/16" but I really am generally clueless so a little help would be appreciated. Oh and my other assumption is that they are brass am I correct in that assumption? The handle is the second buck I ever killed it was a small 6 point and the antlers had broken apart some where along the line so I figured they were a good candidate. I couldn't bring my self to cut up the first buck it was a real nice 8 point.
best gut hook I have seen!

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I believe this is my first and likely last foray into the knife building realm. It's a lot of work. I've finished the hook that I posted above. I had to weight for the blade to be heat treated and and then I had to epoxy the blade in place and pin it. Not exactly sophisticated but I like the rustic look. I'm not sure what the cord on the end does I assume it makes it easier to hold and or pickup. What ever I think it looks cool. Now the only questions left will be does it hold the edge and does it even work.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts