Archery Talk Forum banner

Knife Question

509 8
I am looking to purchase a quality knife for skinning and all around outdoor use. What are the main characteristics to look for ( blade composition/ folding or fixed)? thank you for the help:teeth::teeth::teeth:
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,014 Posts

· Registered
6,045 Posts
Here's another link for you www.smkw.com
Smokey Mountain Knife Works sells almost all of the best commercial brands of knives. An outstanding selection.
If you're looking for a good, strong all purpose utility knife I would go with a fixed blade with a full tang and a drop point.
Polarbear06 mentioned the S30V steel and it is the latest and greatest in knife steel.
The quality of knife you get depends a lot on how much you're willing to spend.

· R.I.P.
29,187 Posts
You might find a lot of useful info in the DIY thread. RancidCrabtree, JWTjr, stknives, could all give you a lot of valuable info on what makes a good knife. They might even give you the bug to make one...

· Registered
27,090 Posts
It is best to have a few knives devoted just to skinning and spend the most money that you can afford because you get what you pay for.

For everyday use I use a Kershaw Scallion. I love that little thing but it is very sharp and have cut my self multiple times ;). I really like the spring action for one hand opening, it is lignting fast (pretty much a switchblade).

· R.I.P.
29,187 Posts
One last detail. While the alloy used is very important, there are other variables which are just as important, if not more : A good heat treat, and blade geometry. Better an average steel with optimum heat treat than the latest fad with a lousy one.

As for blade geometry, a full grind all the way up to the back of the blade, preferrably flat or slightly convex will yield great results for skinning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.