Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
RJ
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell us a knife story. First knife, lost knife, best loved knife, shouldn't of sold that one, best trapping, field dressing, etc..... knife. You get the gist. Everybody has a knife story or three. ;)

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
I was antelope hunting in Wyoming 20 plus years ago. Shot a P&Y antelope the first day. Shot was off a windmill tower at nine yards. The antelope ran 200 yards at warp speed after the shot and died at full speed. The crash was spectacular.
I climbed down and gutted it with a Gerber Magnum folding hunter.
Then I had to walk down a road a half mile to my truck. On that walk a truck stopped and asked if I wanted a lift. I hopped in and the driver happened to be Fred Wallace of Bowhunter magazine.
When I got back to camp with my antelope, I realized that my knife was gone. So I went back to the gut pile and looked for a long time. No knife and this was my favorite knife.
A few years later I posted on another hunting forum that I wanted to buy a Gerber Magnum Folding Hunter. I got an offer from a collector that had a new one. I bought it at a very reasonable price.
I still use that knife often and every time I do, I remember that antelope hunt and all the idiosyncrasies and wonder where my knife went.
And Fred Wallace asked that send a pic of that antelope and he would put it in Bowhunter magazine. I did and he did.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,263 Posts
I have skinned and processed somewhere between 300-400 wild game animals without an issue by just following safe procedures....in the field anyway- grin. Lets just title this one, 'What a dumb azz"

I have a really nice clip on folder....BG 42 blade. It could be the best steel I've seen. So since I'm a lefty, I swapped the clip to the other side. What I didn't realize is that puts the pointed blade down in your pocket vs up for a righty. So one day I come in the house in a bit of a rush to use the bathroom. I quickly drop my pants and sit on the can. A short time later I feel my left foot getting warm....looking down I can see blood spilling over the edge of my tennis shoe? WTH? I'm thinking how did that get there thinking I maybe had some weird digestive issue....but how did it get in my shoe?

Reaching down I found my incredibly sharp knife plunged 4" into my calf muscle...bleeding like a stuck pig. I never felt it.....must have been like some of the animals we shoot. Anyway, I pull the thing out still inside my pants and apply pressure through my pant leg.

One big problem.....I wasn't finished. "Netters! I yelled, [my wife] "Can you come in here for a minute?!" She kneeled on the bathroom floor until I could finish my bidness and then off to the ED for 25 stitches. The blade had opened slightly as I had it set light so I can swing it open.....and when I pulled my pants down quickly it scissored open about 60 degrees and plunged into my leg.

Funny that the ED doc separated us to secretly ask me if I was in any danger from my wife, " Ha, No doc, I'm just a dumb azz"

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
One time, my wife stabbed me while I was taking a.... oh, wait. ;)

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
I was scouting for an antelope spot back in the mid 80s'. Just driving Wyoming back roads, my brother along for the ride... looking at some public ground and also asking permission on private when we'd see a place from the road.
Out of nowhere, this pickup comes sceaming up from behind us with police-type lights flashing. I pulled over and this cowboy-looking rancher walks up yelling about us poaching an antelope! It took some yelling back and forth, but we finally convinced him that it couldn't have been us... we didn't even have a gun!
About then, the game warden showed up and we all went to the poached antelope. Really young buck that someone had shot in the heart. They must have either gotten spooked off it before they could load it in a pickup... or, they just really hated pronghorns.
The warden goes to gut it... he whips out the weirdest looking thing... some kind of knife. I've never seen a faster, cleaner, easier job of gutting anything in my life!
I asked him what it was. I bought a Wyoming Knife right after that.
And, on a side note... the cowboy-rancher guy offered to let me hunt his place if I'd run off trespassers for him.
Of course, I quickly agreed.
I probably got the better deal, though... I tagged out on a nice 14" buck the first hour of opening day.
I never did figure out why that ranchers truck had police lights...

Attachments

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,263 Posts
There was one story ....Oh, maybe 20 years ago in Bowhunter mag about a guy that was on a Caribou hunt in Northern Canada. His guide got on top of the bow straddling it and when pulling the knife toward him [bad idea- eh?] the knife slipped and plunged into his femoral artery.

I'm thinking the guides a goner....but the hunter was savy enough to quickly apply pressure [pretty sure you can bleed out in as little as 30 seconds with a fem artery cut] Turns out there was some remote military base something like 40 miles away, Sat phoned them and they choppered the guide out and saved him.

·
Registered
86 Posts
One year while doing muzzleloader drives on a huge piece of public in Wisconsin, a family member wounded a deer with a shot to the upper leg. The deer was Running on 3 legs through the snow eventually in the middle of the section over a 2 miles away from any logging roads or trails me and 2 uncles caught up to it and finally finished it. Being the young one I had to gut it, and and drag it so I hooked up and went. Didn’t realize I left my knife until 3 days later.
My dad and I went up turkey hunting 7 months later and I said I was going to take him in and get my knife, he said yeah right...I managed cut a straight line to my knife without any trails or ridges to follow in the whole section. My dad was proud of that one... I was 15 at the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,817 Posts
Nothing crazy here, however I had a guy this spring say hey is this your knife? It was a havalon identical to mine and was all muddy and rusty, I said yes and I had no idea I had lost it:confused:

Fast forward to last week and i grab the sheath expecting to grab some extra blades and my knife is in there, I can not remember who the heck gave me the other one either, but what the heck are the chances of that?

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,263 Posts
Oh cmon....so none of you guys have cut yourself while processing an animal? Thats a crock. Too embarrassed to tell, eh?

Heck, guys like Zane, RJ and 5Miles have killed so many animals they are probably lucky if they still have 10 fingers- grin

When I first started hog hunting with dogs, a friend Tony Fernandez showed me how to gut a hog in one minute. I've since showed a few guys that technique...and 2 went on to cut themselves pretty good trying to go too fast. Fast and animal processing [not the best idea]....someone has done it.

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
Oh cmon....so none of you guys have cut yourself while processing an animal? Thats a crock. Too embarrassed to tell, eh?

Heck, guys like Zane, RJ and 5Miles have killed so many animals they are probably lucky if they still have 10 fingers- grin

When I first started hog hunting with dogs, a friend Tony Fernandez showed me how to gut a hog in one minute. I've since showed a few guys that technique...and 2 went on to cut themselves pretty good trying to go too fast. Fast and animal processing [not the best idea]....someone has done it.
Oh, I've cut myself a bunch! Just did it on that Alaskan moose hunt... and, all I was trying to do was clean the blade after we were all done with one of those bulls. But, it wasn't serious. Just an irritating slice on the tip of my thumb that bugged me for a few days.

That's the thing... I've never cut myself seriously while butchering. My dad slipped up one time, though. Pulling towards himself doing a Wyoming elk... knife tip went about 2" into the top of his thigh. Nothing life threatening, but it hurt like hell.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
I honestly can't recall cutting myself while either field-dressing, skinning or cutting up an animal, (other than small nicks which seem to be caused by contact with shattered bone more often than knife steel.)

But part of that may be due to how I've always chosen my hunting knives.
The handle must be large enough to grip without cramping, and of oval (or even slightly square), in cross-section to prevent twisting in the hand.

Drop point in line with the centerline of the grip, and a small hilt or at least a projection on the grip to keep the hand from sliding onto the blade.

I know it's considered kind of the sign of a greenhorn, but I've always liked the somewhat longer/larger blades.
I have used the little "bird and trout" knives on big game; you can keep them.

A few years ago I bought my oldest son a Buck Pathfinder (?) for his first real knife as a special Father-to-Son Christmas gift, (just as my Dad had for me forty years earlier.)
It was factory wicked sharp and he gashed his hand goofing around with it before all the other gifts had been opened.

Christmas Eve in the Urgent Care Center; twelve stitches!
Before arriving at the doors, we decided it perhaps best to "white lie" and just tell the staff that it happened with the chef's knife as he was helping carve the dinner roast.

They actually pressed us both for "incident" details in separate rooms, as I suspected they might. (And understandably so, I guess...)

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
I have nicked my non knife hand a few times. But nothing serious at all. I like short blade3” or less and drop points.

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
I had a havalon slip out of my hands and stick into my thigh while breaking down an elk. Feel very fortunate it didn’t turn worse. Had potential for problems.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,263 Posts
I honestly can't recall cutting myself while either field-dressing, skinning or cutting up an animal, (other than small nicks which seem to be caused by contact with shattered bone more often than knife steel.)

But part of that may be due to how I've always chosen my hunting knives.
The handle must be large enough to grip without cramping, and of oval (or even slightly square), in cross-section to prevent twisting in the hand.

Drop point in line with the centerline of the grip, and a small hilt or at least a projection on the grip to keep the hand from sliding onto the blade.

I know it's considered kind of the sign of a greenhorn, but I've always liked the somewhat longer/larger blades.
I have used the little "bird and trout" knives on big game; you can keep them.
^Yeah, I've used all kinds on different knives inc the Havalons....I like a knife as you described too.

My buddy nicked himself when his Havalon blade broke 2 years ago. Those are good for intricate caping work...but you can have those too for processing.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
I have cut, sliced, diced myself so many times it’s laughable...my worst, nearly fatal accident occurred when I paddled to an remote campsite in a high country lake in the sierras for a week of camping. I placed a skinning knife blade up in the camping chair cup holder and forgot about it. When I dropped my full weight into the chair, the blade sliced through my right butt cheek all the way to the sacrum. I am a knife collector (300 and counting) and they are all razor sharp. Blood was pumping out of my arce and I knew I would bleed out. I am a physician and had a complete medical kit but it was layers of duct tape that closed the deep laceration. It took two hours to paddle out and another 2 hrs to reach medical care. I have never used that knife since.

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
Blade sliced through my right butt cheek all the way to the sacrum.
Blood was pumping out of my arce.
I have never used that knife since.
Well, you could... but, you might want to wash it good... ;)

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Sliced my pinky to the bone once. Bled worse than my buddies deer. That hind quarter sure was a bloody mess for a lung shot deer ;)

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
I always seem to nick a finger nearly every time. Worst I had was guiding a mulie hunter. He killed a buck and I went to work gutting it. It was the second or third deer I'd gutted and skinned that week and I neglected to sharpen my knife. As I was cutting around the poop chute I had to pull pretty hard to get it to cut. When it did it headed right over to my left leg just above the knee about in line with the inseam of my pants. Luckily my leg bone stopped it from going on through. Bled like hell, hunter was retired Hi Po, he went back into cop mode real quick. He took my radio and called and got an ATV headed to us. I let them haul out the deer on the ATV. I tied it off with my handkerchief and walked out, it wasn't but a quarter mile. That hillside is now named wounded knee, thanks to the rest of the crew. I keep my knives sharp now.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
My dad found a knife and gave it to me to use when I was just starting out hunting.
On the back of the sheath you could barely read "to Donald from dad 1927".
I'd like to know the story behind it or what it's seen.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
When I grew up 12 was the age you could first hunt in PA. Dad gave me a really nice Gerber folder for my birthday in May. Two nights later we were out groundhog hunting, never saw that knife again. My son is now 16 and will be getting his first 'decent' knife this year. After knowing how fast I lost that one I just couldn't bring myself to buy him a nice knife until now, especially knowing how many pairs of gloves I buy him each year :cry:

(He's got guns and bows, harder to lose those :darkbeer:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts