Archery Talk Forum banner

knife ?

632 Views 13 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  MTNHunt
Im thinking about getting the buck omni folding knife anyone have one? Should I get the gut hook on it or does it matter? Also should I get the fixed blade or folding? If you have one let me know what you think.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
7,898 Posts
Just my 2 cents. I've used BUCK, case, gerber, schrade, kershaw all from years past. So far, none of them match up to my Cold steel. I have the one on the right. I've never used the omni.

Knife Hunting knife Blade Cutting tool Utility knife

· Registered
908 Posts
The best skinning knife you can get is a wyoming knife! They are inexpensive and will far surpass any knife for skinning and caping.

However if you are just looking for a quality knife more for general purpose and to skin with I would look into Bark River Knives.

· Registered
763 Posts
Bark River knifes are awesome...but expensive (for most people.)

For a little more than the omni I'd get a Kershaw Featherweight Moran or a Benchmane Rant.

Nothing wrong with Buck knives...I own a like several of them. Their 420HC just doesn't compare to VG10 (Featherweight) or 440C of the Rant.

I love my featherweight, it's not a heavy-duty survival knife, but it's perfect to carry as an all-around butchering knife!!!

· Registered
169 Posts
i have an omni-folder knife. well i did i lost it somewhere between colorado and missouri. but it is an awesome knife for the money. super sharp out of the box and holds a nice edge for a long time...

· Registered
633 Posts
Im thinking about getting the buck omni folding knife anyone have one? Should I get the gut hook on it or does it matter? Also should I get the fixed blade or folding? If you have one let me know what you think.
Great Knife! Get the gut hook.... you will love it! Also the Cold Steels a Great brand! :wink:

· Registered
975 Posts
The omni is o.k. if your don't want to spend alot of $$$. The Buck 110 is alot better.

Look at the Outdoor edge knife line, they use AUS8, which IMO is far superior to 420ss. They are not expensive either.

Second medium price range, try Knives of Alaska, the alpha wolf which is by far the most comfortable knife you can hold. They use D2 or CPM S30V both are excellant steel.

Last, a high end knife but worth every penny, Bob Dozier knives, he makes one of the best hunting knives in the custom market. And they are not outrages like some of the custom makers. And it could be something for you to pass down for generations to come.

Oh, I perfer a fixed with a blade no shorter than 3 3/4 and no longer than 5". However, I do like a folders. It is really up to you and what size game you are cleaning.

Just my 2 cent, besides bow hunting and guns, I collect knives and current own over 150 knives, production models to customs. Been doing it since I was 6.

· Registered
975 Posts
I personally like KA BAR knives. Have you looked into them?

https://www.kabar.com/index.jsp

This is a nice hunting knife.
Nice looking knife, and not to change the subject, but I hated it when Ka-Bar sold out to making knives in Tiawan. Especially with all the American flags so boldly printed on their web-site. And the history of making Miltary knives.

Alot of knives are made over seas, and Japan and Tiawan are the better made, however stay away from any that are made in China. It is pure junk.

I try to buy and have only a couple (made in Tiawan or Japan) but mainly all of mine are made in Germany or the USA. If you look at all the manufacters they will have some that are made in the USA.

JMO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.