Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Land of the Giants
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If a fellow had to field-dress five or six deer a day...which or what kind of knife should he get? Something that keeps its edge a long time or just a cheap knife and a good sharpening system?

Are the expensive knives worth the money or not?

I need to know....working as a deer guide this fall. Thanks

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
i recieved a 2 knife set when i subscribed to buckmasters magazine a caping knife and a skinning knife with a gut hook they are the best knives i have owned still razor sharp after 3 seasons without sharpening thats about 12 deer i have dressed and proccessed. i think you can order these off their website

·
Registered
296 Posts
It most definitely is worth it if you are going to be doing that many. I guide as well and good knives just make it easier. I like the kodi pack from cabellas you get it all, the knives hold a great edge and it doesn't break the bank. Hope that helps.

·
Land of the Giants
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Big D...I'll be working in NE MO this fall....I see your from NW MO. I'll go to the Cabelas site and check them out thanks.

FL-HNT-N-FSH...thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Kenny,
There's a knife that's hit the market over the last couple of years called the Do-All OUtdoors Buck Buster. It has a forked design with a gut hook and 2 cutting edges. It's makes busting the rib-cage and pelvic bones a breeze.

I deleted the picture of it from my files, but you can look up the thread in this forum called "Can anyone suggest a fairly high quality field dressing knife?" and take a look at the pics I posted of my knives. The buck buster is pictured there. It's a knife well worth having in your pack!! :cool:

Greg

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I can honestly say that I still use an old "Sharp" brand that I bought at K-Mart when I was about 14yrs. old, almost 17yrs. ago. It has been through a herd of deer, and I re-sharpen it after each one. I did use it on 4 deer one night a few years ago when I got the opportunity to do some farm destruction for a local farmer though, and it busts pelvic bones as good today as it ever has. This year though, I will take it a little easier on the knife as I bought a little saw for those pelvic bones. The edge is very important, even the most expensive knife is worthless if it's edge is bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts