Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On an previous hunt I'd spotted four does in this clearing not far from my truck and I was looking for a new spot to hunt. Today I decided to put 10 steps in my bag and went to the corner where I thought they were coming out. I found a nice apple tree about 20 yards in and a lot of thick choke cherry bushes all around it. It had heavy deer sign in and around the apple tree with a heavy runway that cut through a small clearing

A lone Black Cherry tree stood 15 yards downwind/South of this and there was a small opening through the thick about 15’ up. I didn’t make too much noise but wasn’t dead quiet getting setup. It was very tight quarters with lots of wild grape vines all over this black cherry tree. I had leaves/green all around my stand and thick all around except my one small shooting hole.

I’d just gotten settled in and wanted to lower my stand about 6 inches. I’d have to duck down to get a shot to the runway and I didn’t want to cut the limb to my front. I was getting my soft grunt call ready and made a few soft grunts and slid it into my pocket and was just getting ready to move my stand down when I heard a twig snap. I spotted a deer slipping through the choke cherry bushes headed away from the apple tree. Not sure if my grunting had anything to do with it but deer were in the area and I wouldn’t be messing with my stand now.

About 4 minutes later I heard something coming in from my right rear. I spot a deer slipping in towards the apple tree and it looked like she would be going through my shooting lane. I grab my bow and squat down in from on my treestand seat and came to full draw. Moments later she appears in my shooting lane, I put my 15 yard pin on vitals and shoot. Shot looked to be a touch higher than I like but good. I look and listen but hear nothing. I sit tight for a few and nock another arrow just in case I get lucky.

A few minutes later I spot movement under the apple tree. It’s a mature doe feeding on the leaves. I stand up looking for a shooting hole but she’s not in the right spot. Then she starts walking out directly towards my opening and I come to full draw. She appears in my lane and my shot is gone. I had a little to no blood on the one deer and opted to pull out and wait a few hours. I come back to find her only 15 yards from where I shot her but she’d made a quick turn in an unexpected direction. My shot was good but I was surprised to find the exit hole well back. It was a broadside shot but my arrow hit the back side of a rib and deflected back almost a foot. Because of this I hit one lung, liver and gut.

It still amazes me what can happen even on a well placed shot.

Attachments

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Sweet!:darkbeer:

· Premium Member
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congrats on the does! Any luck finding the buck?
Thanks. The buck is still out there. I'm going to give him an entire month to come back and get settle back in this area. I did find most of my arrow, the broadhead end minus 12 inches. Only meat and fat on the shaft and not even the smell of blood. There was a second small branch just past the one I shot over and I didn't see this second small branch when I shot. Even after I found my arrow I still couldn't find a singe drop of blood.

I spoke with the local biologist about it and based on what I found on my arrow and what I found he thinks my arrow must have been deflected down through the bottom of his near shoulder/leg and that he snapped it off when he jumped through the brush. I searched every square foot of this area just to make sure he wasn't down.

I did find two of his beds in the swamp brush (strong buck smell) and they are 6 feet across. This is a sweet spot and I think he's going to want to return here in a couple of weeks.

· Registered
600 Posts
Awesome Job Bowchief... Wife brought up tonight what if we both harvest a deer the same day.. I said well my butchering and skinning knives can't count..So We will just hang um' and I'll put the 4 inch fillet knife to work..

She laughed and said I mean do you think we have room in the shed for two deer, I said sure as long as she takes a yearling to hang with the adult one i shoot.. she didn't laugh, just said Okay Lets beat She hits the bigger doe, I said no beat as I hunt for Fun not compatition....Then said see you know i'll Win, I said any deer you hit is your first and you'll win....

I Look forword to hearing from her after our days afield as to what she seen, or how far away and how her day goes..as I will be in a stand 75-100 yards away.... So I don't shoot at her buck....

Congrates and Thanks for sharing your double...

· Premium Member
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome Job Bowchief... Wife brought up tonight what if we both harvest a deer the same day.. I said well my butchering and skinning knives can't count..So We will just hang um' and I'll put the 4 inch fillet knife to work..

She laughed and said I mean do you think we have room in the shed for two deer, I said sure as long as she takes a yearling to hang with the adult one i shoot.. she didn't laugh, just said Okay Lets beat She hits the bigger doe, I said no beat as I hunt for Fun not compatition....Then said see you know i'll Win, I said any deer you hit is your first and you'll win....

I Look forword to hearing from her after our days afield as to what she seen, or how far away and how her day goes..as I will be in a stand 75-100 yards away.... So I don't shoot at her buck....

Congrates and Thanks for sharing your double...
Thanks Scottie. Good luck to you and your wife out there. I'm glad my wife doesn't hunt because she's better than me at everything else.:D

· Registered
1,391 Posts
Those look like some big does. The deer around here are so small compared to everyone elses! Congrats

· Premium Member
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those look like some big does. The deer around here are so small compared to everyone elses! Congrats
Thanks. The one on the left is average for here. She was aged at 4 1/2 while the smaller one was 1 1/2.

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Nice!

Doe on the left looks like a horse! Nice doe. The one on the right is nice, too...but the one on the left? Jeeesshh!
Congrats. Hopefully you'll hook up with that buck!:thumbs_up

· Registered
36,987 Posts
Congrats on the double

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.