Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like in every post these days when someone shoots a deer that doesn't make "the book", they start their thread with something like "He's not a monster", or "Not the biggest, but"..........

What happened to the days where you posted a pic of your harvest and people just congratulated you cause of the successful hunt, not because of the score of a rack. Step up and be proud, be it a spike, doe, 4 point, whatever. Don't be ashamed if you don't shoot a book buck and don't feel like less of a hunter cause other guys score on them and you don't, that's not what it's all about.

Now, I am not saying there is anything wrong with only shooting big bucks by any means, everyone is entitled to do what they want to do, but when bowhunters have to justify why they killed the animal they did to other bowhunters, I think it's time we all sat back and took a good long look at what this obsession is really all about.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I agree...Shot a doe this weekend and it was one of the most memorable hunts I've had...

·
Primum Non Nocere
6,439 Posts
PABowhunt4life said:
Seems like in every post these days when someone shoots a deer that doesn't make "the book", they start their thread with something like "He's not a monster", or "Not the biggest, but"..........

What happened to the days where you posted a pic of your harvest and people just congratulated you cause of the successful hunt, not because of the score of a rack. Step up and be proud, be it a spike, doe, 4 point, whatever. Don't be ashamed if you don't shoot a book buck and don't feel like less of a hunter cause other guys score on them and you don't, that's not what it's all about.

Now, I am not saying there is anything wrong with only shooting big bucks by any means, everyone is entitled to do what they want to do, but when bowhunters have to justify why they killed the animal they did to other bowhunters, I think it's time we all sat back and took a good long look at what this obsession is really all about.
Well said...:thumbs_up :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

·
Registered
839 Posts
PABowhunt4life said:

amen.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Il be happy with whatever i get..

Couldnt agree with you more. I hunt in PA WMU 1A and there are some good deer but they are few and far between. Mostly likely any buck i shoot wont be a "monster" but with the antler restrictions we have it sure wont be a spike :wink: . This will be my fifth archery season and I have yet to get a deer.I did shoot a doe one year but was unable to find her in time :sad: . Just getting a deer would be so awesome no matter what....buck or doe. And the four year wait will make it all the better :teeth:

·
Registered
108 Posts
congrats

Thank you for pointing that out. The trophy is in the eye of the shooter, not the web audience. One of the best mounts I have ever seen is of a (guessing) 1.5 year old buck. My buddy shot his first buck and was proud of it, so he mounted it. Now the little guy hangs out with his big brothers proudly in my friends place of business. Any harvest with a bow deserves congrats and bragging rights.

But it is pretty sweet to get the one that goes in the books!!:wink:

·
Registered
39 Posts
PABowhunt4life said:

Great message!! Speakin the Truth.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
PABowhunt4life said:

Eh.

·
Registered
355 Posts
trophy

the trophy is in the eyes of the beholer. i hunt for bigger deer but with my 6yr old with me this year if a legel buck walks by ( pa piont restriction legal), he may go down just so i can get one while he's with me!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I agree, my deer I'm most proudest of is a little basket racked 7 point. My 139 net 8 point doesnt hold a candle to that one in my heart.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
PABowhunt4life said:

Because somewhere along the line the head hunters have turned things around where it's suppose to be better to kill a buck for the size of it's rack than the delectably of it's meat...and a lot of people who don't know better have bought into it.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
I think that for the majority of people it's all in their own minds as to what other people think of their trophy's.:embara:

They really want to show off they quarry because they are proud but then when it comes time to post it , they get a bit hesitant thinking about all those racks before them. :rolleyes:

I personally never have never given it a thought when looking at a Doe. Thinking that it is not a trophy.
I just have never even thought it :confused:

When I look at that person smiling beside that deer what I think about is the fact that they were able to have a success and it made them happy enough to share.

That to me is a trophy.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
They all die the same way, from a well placed broadhead. This will be my wife's first year bowhunting. The main thing is for her to have fun. I told her if it's brown it's down;)

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
PABowhunt4life said:

I totally agree with you. I think there are more hunters that feel the same way about this topic but don't want to get ripped apart on this forum. They shoot a deer that they are very proud of and want to share it here but because it isn't a huge buck they title the thread as "no monster but" so they can post a pic and retain some dignity in doing it. We all know what we each consider a trophy, we all know what we each think of QDM, what we need to do more of is respect what others think and do and share their moments with them.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I couldnt agree more. I can understand why people would be a little aprehensive about posting a pic of a "small trophy" just start by looking at your avatars. Nothing but huge racked bucks (except for one albino in velvet)
And with quotes like "Rack Attack" Pretty intimidating. If you guys want to stop having people be afraid to post their "trophies" just look at the image you put out there first. Not a sermon just a thought.:happy:

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
i have never even seen a book buck. anything taken w/ a bow is a trophy. its about the hunt, and the excitement of being that close to your prey, and keeping yourself together long enough to make something happen. good luck everyone NH opens friday

·
Life is short, live it!
1,170 Posts
PABowhunt4life said:

For me, it's not even the harvesting, it's the hunt itself. On my most memorable mule deer stalk with a bow, I didn't even get a shot. But I'll never forget getting to within 11 steps of "the one that got away".

·
Registered
552 Posts
Very well said guys! I too have a friend that will be bowhunting for the first time and shes pretty excited about it and has mentioned getting a big buck.
I told her to take the first animal that presents a good shot and that your first deer with a bow is a real trophy no-matter what it is!:wink:
I dont think that as you "Mature" as a bow hunter that there is anything wrong with setting your standards higher or having goals.
We just need to remmeber that its "FUN" to go hunting and take a deer with your bow!!!!! Its not a competition,although it seems to turn into one....is this just human nature?:rolleyes:

·
im not NOT licking toads.
7,713 Posts
my first deer with a bow was a doe , i dont think i was that excited when ive killed bucks with a gun!!!!

ANY deer with a bow is a rush!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts