Archery Talk Forum banner

Kuiu nuyarn baselayers - any reviews?

1435 Views 6 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  coachjdub
hey guys, wondering if anyone's been using their Kuiu nuyarn basel layers? What're your thoughts? I wore mine under my North Branch bibs and it high twenties/low thirties my legs were cold... should I have doubled up on the base layers or what?

Thanks,
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· can I shoot it?
17,984 Posts
I have worn them on a few hunts and they did fine. I do not prefer the pants as they are too short for me, but the top fit well and did what they should (wick sweat, and keep odor down). For quality baselayers I am a First Lite fan with KUIU and Sitka outter wear, but thought the KUIU's worked well for me in the desert of AZ in the winter.

· Registered
3,687 Posts
The lighter stuff (145 and 125) is very good. It is soft on the skin and holds smell down very well. They wear well and mine have lasted through some tough hunting. The heavier 185 is ok but I prefer First Light in comparison. With that, I have taken the heavier shirts out and added the Peleton 210. Better against the wind. Can't really go wrong with Kuiu or FL shirts.

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
hey guys, wondering if anyone's been using their Kuiu nuyarn basel layers? What're your thoughts? I wore mine under my North Branch bibs and it high twenties/low thirties my legs were cold... should I have doubled up on the base layers or what?
If you're using them to try to keep warm, I'd use heavy weight merino base layers or even polar weight poly base layers if you're sitting all day. But for active all day moving, warm weather, mountain hunting, I haven't found anything better than lightweight merino base layers. But I prefer First Lite to KUIU.

· Registered
284 Posts
I haven't used theirs, but have some experience with the same stuff from a ski company called Trew. Nice stuff. I like the way it feels. Haven't noticed any difference as far as smell goes than my regular merino. I am mostly interested in it for durability reasons.

· Registered
2,157 Posts
I used both the 145 top and bottoms this year on an elk hunt. I will be keeping the bottoms and sold the top. I'm going with a first lite top next year. The KUIU top was a little rough and had a slight odor to it. I did use minus 33 mid weight top and bottom on the same hunt and did not notice a smell at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.