Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just seems to be getting later and later. Am I the only one that thinks this and that the last week in March and beggining of April is primetime for turkeys? Wish I had a youth to take the first weekend of APril

· In Urban We Trust
2,469 Posts
That is why there isn't a season at that time, because it is prime time. The gobblers would all be shot up. Most states time their hunting seasons so it falls between the to main gobbling peaks. Our season in Ohio doesn't open till April 20 when most gobblers are henned up, but by the third week they start to become a little more responsive. Just my .02.

· Registered
329 Posts
see them everyday

I drive by a bunch of fields between owensboro and henderson and I see them out in the fields. Toms all fluffed out by theirselves in a group and all the hens just groupin up. Sure would be nice to go out and getem now.

· Registered
1,432 Posts
If you want to ambush em,yeah nows the time.Later in the month of April , when the hens start nesting,is the best time to sit down and call em in.If your just waiting on the herd to walk by,IMO thats not the way to hunt.

· Registered
10,204 Posts
yep, I think it usually opens between the 8 - 13 of April. Not sure why they made it the 18th. Doesn't really bother me though, I've always had my best hunts in May, especially the last weekend of season.

· Registered
1,281 Posts
yep, I think it usually opens between the 8 - 13 of April. Not sure why they made it the 18th. Doesn't really bother me though, I've always had my best hunts in May, especially the last weekend of season.
My brother and I were guessing they did it to miss the Easter weekend?? Youth season is the 4th and 5th. All of our youths grew up though......lol

We were at the farm last weekend doing some work. (Owen Co.) Heard a bunch of 'em cutting up Sunday morning. Still seemed to quiet down a lot after fly down time though. Seems to be a whole bunch of hens. Probably wouldn't hurt to weed some of those out in the fall.

· Registered
1,311 Posts
ky season, late

If I'm not mistaken Ky opens the season on the Saturday closest to the 15th of April. This year that Saturday is a very late April 18th.
I wish they would start it the second weekend of April. The 18th is going to be very late. The turkeys have been gobbling good for some time now and I'm afraid we will be on the down swing by the 18th.
Tn begins March 28, this Saturday and I can't wait. Can't be that much difference in Ky and Tn. Tn opens before Ky and closes after with a limit double that of Ky. I wish the KDFWR would take another look and make some season dates and limit revisions.

· Registered
420 Posts
ever try ft campbell???the season starts this saterday you just nrrd to purchase a post permit witch is only 15 dollars they have very good hunting...check it out at ftcampbellmwr.com then go to outdoor rec drag down to the hunting link and you can check out the pics all the regs are there too

· Registered
420 Posts
ever try ft campbell???the season starts this saterday you just nrrd to purchase a post permit witch is only 15 dollars they have very good hunting...check it out at ftcampbellmwr.com then go to outdoor rec drag down to the hunting link and you can check out the pics all the regs are there too
sorry its www.fortcampbellmwr.com...then go to sports and recreation then down to hunting..the limit is 2 birds a day 4 a season we normally get a couple knocked down there before ky season starts!!hope you check it out

· Registered
420 Posts
Dont look at deer pics ,there not very big there.
yeah for public hunting its the best around I have killed 3 bucks the last 3 years that all go over 130" 2 years ago there was 190"killed and a few in the 160'sbut yeah you really cant beat it..it just a hassle for none military to get an area assignment during deer season turkey season isnt so bad but just try it out you wont be dissapointed!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.