Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what can be done to generate more interest in the traditional classes at NFAA field events. I love shooting the NFAA Trad class, and I love shooting field. However, the numbers attending has gotten to the point where it’s not worth attending. This year we had no archers in male adult trad, 2 in Senior, 2 in Silver Senior and 4 in Master Senior. It wasn’t long ago we had more in one class. The non sighted classes across the board are the same. Longbow had 1 male and 1 female. Barebow compound had few also. The resurgent BBR in the field had 6 or so in its two male age groups each.
Yet at local or state level we can have 10-15 in each. At the NFAA Target rounds it was just as disappointing.
Ok, how do we encourage more shooters to attend? Not the thread for NFAA bashing but what can we do to save the Trad class? It will go away if we do not support it. Just like the Competitive Bowhunter and BHFSL classes did a couple years ago.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I have wondered the same thing. Can we at least combine the age groups into one adult class so we have enough shooters to make a class?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I think the decline in the trad classes can be explained by decline in trad archers... I have experienced similar decline in the trad classes in our archery club.

I think the only way to save the trad class is to increase the numbers of trad archers. Which involves promoting, teaching, and mentoring more trad archers.

The issue I see with my archer circle is that, there's simply not enough trad shooters willing to pass the knowledge on. They tend to be older folks who prefer to keep things to themselves. while the younger trad shooters struggle with hitting the target, get frustrated, and eventually give up.

Unless we bridge that gap, the trad archery will continue to decline.

·
Registered
969 Posts
The biggest problem I run into is scheduling conflicts between different organizations. There are so many options for shooting 3d, that few want to make the effort to set the bow up to shoot past 25 yards. I wanted to go to the Texas state this year, but didn't have enough arrows (stupid shipping delays). I am planning on shooting Longbow class at the 900 round at Cinnamon creek this year. I was just setting up some lighter arrows last weekend for my Omega to reach that far.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I have wondered the same thing. Can we at least combine the age groups into one adult class so we have enough shooters to make a class?
As a interim solution, that's exactly what our club did for our field round... However, we are pitting the older, more experienced archer against younger, less experienced archer. Of course the less experienced archer will typically lose, and they eventually stop coming to the match.

Also, it does not address the issue of declining number of trad archers.

The biggest problem I run into is scheduling conflicts between different organizations. There are so many options for shooting 3d, that few want to make the effort to set the bow up to shoot past 25 yards. I wanted to go to the Texas state this year, but didn't have enough arrows (stupid shipping delays). I am planning on shooting Longbow class at the 900 round at Cinnamon creek this year. I was just setting up some lighter arrows last weekend for my Omega to reach that far.
Good point! I wonder if our club can come up with a series of match that are more geared toward Trad shooters....

·
Registered
572 Posts
Our club has a fun shoot for trad only. About 20-25 3D targets with a 4 or 5 "hole" archery golf shot with Flu flu in the middle of the course, finish it off with a running deer shot.

Honestly it is the funnest thing we do!
It draws young and old. Make it more fun and they will come.

They used to shoot field, but not anymore. I believe 3D killed feild....

·
Registered
969 Posts
The Irving and Fort Worth clubs have been offering "fun" and "hunter" rounds from the black (30 yard max) stakes to try and drum up interest. It hasn't seemed to from what I have seen.

·
Registered
46 Posts
this is my experience and I’m willing to bet this is part of the problem
long story short. Started archery 18 months ago . Love it . been practicing every chance I get
wanted to try field . Asked in forum , looked on internet , nothing. now I’ll start making phone calls soon , I can b persistent . But does it have to b this hard? local /national field archery websites , useless for beginners ( not bashing them since I know nothing about them, just showing my experience). I have a coach now but WA website for instructors for beginners?nts/non nts ,level 1-4? Sure I know now but pretty useless then.
I know this sounds a cry baby rant but how hard is it for the Nfaa or who ever is the ruling group to make a list of where you can shoot field?Isn‘t this sort of bottom line stuff if u want to grow? Public, clubs that have open shoots on certain days(actually just found one this week😁).
Tried to make this short, hope I did’nt come off looking like an a**.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,782 Posts
I'm not seeing a decline in Trad shooters.....I'm seeing the opposite. It is more of a grip and rip shooter that is just flinging arrows and hunting with their bows.....not the formal shooting style. These short range guys would lose every arrow in their quiver on a NFAA field round.

I love tourneys like unmarked 3D.....and though I used to shoot a field round once a month with my compound, I can't even tell you the last time I did a whole field course with my stick bows.

_

·
Registered
21,073 Posts
r -

We have the same issue at our clubs. Problem is I doubt it will change, and yes, the following are just my observations. I think the time of "Field Archery" has passed. It was originally designed as a hunter's course, but lets be real, the distances are beyond what most "hunters" (both single string and compound) want to deal with. It's not really a target course either, as there's a fair amount of traipsing around the woods involved. So, it's neither fish nor foul. Hunters want 3D and the target guys want fixed positions.

I did a lot of Field, Hunter and Animal rounds in my younger days, but it was a different time. My club as a full 28 target Field course and I may have walked it once. If our monthly Field shoots get 1/2 dozen people, they had a good day. Maybe it's time has passed. Again, just an opinion.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Locally in Indiana we have pretty good turn outs for recurve and longbow classes at most all the 3d shoots I attend, which is every weekend. I can’t tell you when the next field shoot is. I have looked into field shoots in the past but just really don’t know what it’s about or what I need. 3d and spots is all I know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
If more trad hunters would try shooting stuff like indoor, and other competitions, they'd have more fun and probably do a lot better. It's frustrating when the compound guys say if I could shoot my trad bow that well, I'd be hunting with it. Fact is they could shoot a trad bow well, but the key to that is actually doing it. Mark

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
When I see announcements for archery shoots it is either indoors or 3D. If that holds elsewhere maybe it is that 3D has sort of displaced many of the NFAA shoots. Very few of the trad guys at our local range seem interested in targets except for snap shooting practice for hunting season.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I could be wrong, but it seems like World Archery is just taking all the air out of NFAA. The biggest and most prestigious tournaments are all WA.

It might be that trad isn't getting smaller as a class but rather more and more are saving themselves for WA because you can go to bigger shoots and represent your country at the world games, for example.

I don't know though. At my local indoor USA Archery state shoot there were not many barebow people.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I'm the only "active" member at our local club who shoot traditional to compete. The rest of them shoot compound. There are non-members who show up once a year during senior events who shoot recurves with simple sights and a simple stabilizer. That's the closest to trad I could find here, and they are very old.

When I joined the club in 2019, I saw a visitor (probably in his 70's) who brought a Wing recurve by Bob Lee. Never saw him shoot with it and haven't seen him come back yet (I'm hopeful).

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
There is another issue too. Some organisations have just division for Barebow and Longbow when Field is the game to play. The usual 3D shooter using old or new recurves, hybrids etc even if he is part of the majority in a club, doesn't compete because it doesn't make sense to compete against stringwalkers and he doesn't want to shoot longbows.

·
Registered
7,965 Posts
I’m coming up on two years into traditional archery and the one thing that surprised me most was the lack of forum traffic when searching traditional archery forums. The next thing that really surprised me on here and TradTalk were members sending me free stuff, I never had so much sent to me. One guy even sent me a brand new free copy of Shooting the Stickbow (which I highly recommend), another sent me a button and a bolt on flipper rest.
Now I’m getting close to settling on what gear I will be using I will do the same with the gear I’m not using.
So many were very kind answering my stupid newbe questions and giving me good advice also.
One day when I feel good enough I will be looking to see what traditional archery clubs are in my area.

·
Registered
12,104 Posts
I can find a number of coaches who are schooled in compound, but coaches who are schooled in single string are scares as hens teeth. I'm not talking about on-line coaches...plenty of those. I learn best by hands on. It's not just coaching for shooting, but someone who knows and understands what goes into setting up and tuning a long bow or recurve.

So, I read what I can, watch the videos, and follow on the internet. I don't know what can be done to address my problem because I don't think it can be fixed.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,782 Posts
If you are a guy that loves those competitions.....I doubt you will want to hear this but here goes; Its not much fun...and if you get into a big shoot like Redding- its long and boring.

The 3D shoots are very popular....with whole families participating.

Have you seen the trend towards these run and gun mountain shoots? [I'm not sure what they are called]

The popular shoots are the ones that bring the fun back into archery....much like exercise programs.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I hear you, carlosii. No trad help to speak of around my farm in eastern wa either. Nobody was shooting single string at the Moscow Idaho club other than me for indoor, hunter, animal coarse either. I haven't been shooting for 2 years myself, but will probably go back this fall for indoor. Everything I've learned was on here through you folks, and some youtube video. Gotta be careful which youtube guys you listen to though. I'm sure thankful for this forum and the folks that took the time to help me out on here.... Mark

1 - 20 of 75 Posts