Archery Talk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just an olde pharte's (75) opinion here. I believe at least part of the problem is major changes in the "traditional" world these days. Us older single string shooters often feel we don't fit in any more.

I have been participating in on line archery forums since the mid 90's and earlier. The subject of discussions has changed drastically. A lot of the talk used to center around bows and bowyers mostly one piece but a lot of takedowns thrown in. A lot of field shooting of one kind or another, like stump shooting. A lot of people made and shot wood arrows and discussions about various wood types were frequent. I could go on and on.

Many clubs had regular traditional only shoots. A lot of the time the rules for these shoots generated derogatory comments about the "trad police". I never understood why people had a hard time accepting that clubs felt the need to establish rules to define their interpretation of "trad" to ensure a level playing field. All competitions have rules. Accept them and live with them. It isn't that big a deal.

Today the trad world is mainly about metal ILF risers, multiple sets of limbs, carbon arrows, all manufactured in factories. The old simplicity of "trad" is gone. People don't like shooting off the shelf. They have to be able to adjust and tweak things by micro inches with various buttons, screws and measuring devices. There's a lot more discussion of various aiming systems like string walking, etc. Not that people haven't been doing that for ages but it just seems way more prevalent.

If you are seen shooting with even the slightest cant or upper body lean you are ridiculed and questioned about how you ever expect to shoot well that way. Yes a nice formal, upright, picture perfect stance and form work great with a longbow. But plenty of people shot real well with other variations.

There is nothing wrong with anything about the new world order. It is what it is and if that is todays preference so be it. But modern trad (kind of an oxymoron to me) people focus more on barebow setups if they are competition oriented.

Just look at the thread called "One piece addition". Very few participants there. In my opinion "traditional" as it used to be known is going away with the baby boomers. And I've never really been particularly fond of the word traditional anyway. But what we have today is just modern single string modular bows for the most part.

Sorry for the long winded soap box preaching. This is just my feelings on the current. "trad" thing. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I can find a number of coaches who are schooled in compound, but coaches who are schooled in single string are scares as hens teeth. I'm not talking about on-line coaches...plenty of those. I learn best by hands on. It's not just coaching for shooting, but someone who knows and understands what goes into setting up and tuning a long bow or recurve.

So, I read what I can, watch the videos, and follow on the internet. I don't know what can be done to address my problem because I don't think it can be fixed.
My sentiment exactly... There are too few people that are able - or willing - to pass on the knowledge of traditional archery. Unless people are willing to step up and pass on the knowledge and mentor new archers, I would have to agree with you that it really can't be fixed...

If you are a guy that loves those competitions.....I doubt you will want to hear this but here goes; Its not much fun...and if you get into a big shoot like Redding- its long and boring.

The 3D shoots are very popular....with whole families participating.

Have you seen the trend towards these run and gun mountain shoots? [I'm not sure what they are called]

The popular shoots are the ones that bring the fun back into archery....much like exercise programs.
I can't disagree with that, considering most trad shooters are more into hunting than into competitions. Standing at one spot shooting at bulleyes all day doesn't appeal to them...

I think 3D is where Trad Archery can grow...because it does simulate hunting situations and it is very family friendly.

those run-and-gun matches are indeed fun, haven't seen too many trad archers shooting it, but who knows, maybe it would draw the younger trad shooters.

·
Vendor
25,771 Posts
JMO. Today's world is filled with instant gratification. There is nothing instant about the traditional shooting. The older traditional shooters are dwindling away and not too many new traditional shooters. Compound shooting is way easier to learn to be proficient enough to shoot a deer, which is the goal of most of them. Train for a couple of days with a compound and most will be able to pass the bow hunter test. If they don't have a couple of days to practice, they can hunt with a crossbow once they sight it in.
Not many younger people are willing to put in the time and energy necessary to shoot a traditional bow IMHO.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Why would anyone be upset about an elevated rest? I've noticed many older bows aren't even designed to be shot from the shelf, like my red wing hunter. Pretty sure it was made in the 50s or 60s, so when was trad trad? Just bought my first bow that is designed for shooting off the shelf so I can go to a trad 3d shoot when I want without folks giving me a dirty look. Went to a couple of them 2 years ago with a hoyt excel. It had a hoyt super rest, and a 10 inch stab. A lot of folks just kinda glared at it, and weren't quick to say hello. When did people first start shooting off an elevated arrow rest? I know they were in the 50s, so trad must mean pre 50s sometime. The aggravating thing for me is knowing a bow can be tuned off a shelf and you can get great arrow flight, and performance. You can add a "trad style quiver" and add weight to the bow much like a 10 inch stab would. I'm gonna go out on a limb, and bet lots of folks do all that, and tune the best they can, and probably have years before my time. Mark

·
Registered
165 Posts
Why would anyone be upset about an elevated rest? I've noticed many older bows aren't even designed to be shot from the shelf, like my red wing hunter. Pretty sure it was made in the 50s or 60s, so when was trad trad? Just bought my first bow that is designed for shooting off the shelf so I can go to a trad 3d shoot when I want without folks giving me a dirty look. Went to a couple of them 2 years ago with a hoyt excel. It had a hoyt super rest, and a 10 inch stab. A lot of folks just kinda glared at it, and weren't quick to say hello. When did people first start shooting off an elevated arrow rest?
Simply because it is there. When a club or organization establishes rules for a particular class the primary reason is to create a level playing field. Whether it is an elevated rest or some other accessory if it didn't provide some sort of advantage then why use it? It isn't necessarily about when it was first used. I am sure you can find all sorts of examples of how long ago something was used. If rules say you can't use this or that then know the rules and abide by them or expect dirty looks from people who believe you are ignoring the rules.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Simply because it is there. When a club or organization establishes rules for a particular class the primary reason is to create a level playing field. Whether it is an elevated rest or some other accessory if it didn't provide some sort of advantage then why use it? It isn't necessarily about when it was first used. I am sure you can find all sorts of examples of how long ago something was used. If rules say you can't use this or that then know the rules and abide by them or expect dirty looks from people who believe you are ignoring the rules.
This is a big part of the problem. The few shooters we do have get subdivided because their prefered setup is only allowed at one particular organization. Shoot a single string bow with your fingers on the string and no sight? We should all play together.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Totally agree Creedmoor, long as everyone is following the rules. I just threw some questions out there. I don't believe for a second that the old timers did everything they could do to tune their equipment and shoot as good as they could. They were competing as hard as they could. The proof is a scoring system in any of the disciplines that they shot, and the hard fast rules in place.
This same discussion is a hot one in cowboy action shooting throughout the years. Mark

·
Registered
685 Posts
Count your blessing guys. There is not a Field or Outdoor Target range within 150 miles of our little horse farm. The solitude of living in the middle of the Shawnee National Forest comes with a price. I thoroughly enjoyed my days on a Field course and would shoot it again if it were available. For now it's 50-100 arrows in the evening on the home range.

·
Registered
165 Posts
This is a big part of the problem. The few shooters we do have get subdivided because their prefered setup is only allowed at one particular organization. Shoot a single string bow with your fingers on the string and no sight? We should all play together.
I understand people wanting to shoot a preferred setup. But for competetive purposes some lines need to be drawn. If you're only shooting purely for fun and no score then nobody should care. But your setup i most likely "preferred" because something about it helps you shoot better or gives you an advantage. If you want competition within a class to be completely equal then someone has to decide what preferences are allowed and which aren't. That's the problem with competition. Someone is always looking for an edge. But all you want to do is shoot a bow with other archers why would anyone care about what someone else shoots?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Bill, they do care about what you shoot. Even when there's a class for you. I always thought people grow up with age and maturity while growing up. At age 53, I have a different opinion. Talked to my 73 year old dad about this, and he laughed and said hell no, there's a lot of 70 to 80 year olds that behave like gradeschool kids. Lol!!!! He also said don't worry about that much because there's quite a few that are adults, and those are the one's to spend your time with..... dad's usually right, and I'm glad I started listening to him about the tail end of school days. Mark

·
Registered
165 Posts
Bill, they do care about what you shoot. Even when there's a class for you. I always thought people grow up with age and maturity while growing up. At age 53, I have a different opinion. Talked to my 73 year old dad about this, and he laughed and said hell no, there's a lot of 70 to 80 year olds that behave like gradeschool kids. Lol!!!! He also said don't worry about that much because there's quite a few that are adults, and those are the one's to spend your time with..... dad's usually right, and I'm glad I started listening to him about the tail end of school days. Mark
I certainly agree about that growing up thing. My wife says I never made it there.

I've never gotten into competetive archery so I don't pay much attention to all the minor do's and don't's. I go to shoots for the shooting and the socialization with archers. Whatever class they tell me to shoot is fine with me.

But when competition and prizes come into play they are forced to draw lines. If a class definition says no elevated rests and you have one then that is not your class.

I don't think we'll ever see traditional (whatever that is) participation at field archery ever come back. People just don't want to put in the work to shoot well at those ranges without using various accessories to make it easier.

Reactions: Boomer2094

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I don't think we'll ever see traditional (whatever that is) participation at field archery ever come back. People just don't want to put in the work to shoot well at those ranges without using various accessories to make it easier.
I think you nailed the reason why there's lack of Participation in field archery...It's sad, but it is also the truth.

Also, I think Barebow (WA in particular) will replace the Trad archers in Field round. consider the explosive growth in barebow popularity and how barebow archers like shooting various distance.

I sincerely hope that is the case.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think you nailed the reason why there's lack of Participation in field archery...It's sad, but it is also the truth.

Also, I think Barebow (WA in particular) will replace the Trad archers in Field round. consider the explosive growth in barebow popularity and how barebow archers like shooting various distance.

I sincerely hope that is the case.
I tend to agree with you about the rise of barebow. Although for me personally I have no enthusiasm for it. I mainly prefer my one piece shoot off the shelf longbows. If I want to shoot a metal risered ILF bow with nuts and bolts and screws I will pull out my Olympic recurve and shoot with all the bells and whistles.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Bill,

I understand that WA barebow is not everyone's cup of tea... And that is fine.

I'm just seeing recent boom in barebow popularity and wonder if it has anything to do with the decline in numbers of traditional shooters.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Boomer,

I think your assessment of the shift in popularity is pretty accurate. Like I said earlier that is why myself and many of us baby boomers don't feel we fit in the traditional archery world any more. It's not necessarily a good thing or a bad thing, just a different thing.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Field archery as we knew it started to die back in the 90’s when 3D caught everyon’s attention. Here in Phx area our public range, Ben Avery, has field and Hunter rounds plus animal rounds setup. But hardly anyone uses the field or hunter rounds. There is a NFAA affiliated group in Az but last time I looked except for indoor rounds I didn’t see any field rounds scheduled. I have been a member since the early 80’s, the club I belonged to in San Diego used to require membership for insurance reasons. I have just kept it up all these years. Trad shooters on this side of valley are pretty much hunters and any target over 25 yards causes hate and discontent.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Do away with so many divisions based on age (Youth, Teen and Adult is fine). Instead, break them down by skill level. Novice shooters should shoot and compete against other novice shooters. They do this in so many other sports, why not archery? Once you win so many events at your level, you are moved up into the next level. The final level is Pro, where they can shoot for money.

Now, I know the downside is that someone with experience could enter a lower level. I would have to say that is the exception and not the rule. If clubs and organizations started sharing information, it would make doing that even harder.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Oh yeah, and not so many equipment classes. It is just crazy. Make one, maybe two for compound and the same BB/Trad. Pick the top two attendance wise and go with that. Trying to figure out what class when you are new is confusing to say the least.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Oh yeah, and not so many equipment classes. It is just crazy. Make one, maybe two for compound and the same BB/Trad. Pick the top two attendance wise and go with that. Trying to figure out what class when you are new is confusing to say the least.
Then TAS, IBO and local shoots all have different classes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 75 Posts