Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had a chance to try these tonight at the pro shop as well.
I am normally a size 12 or 13 depending on the footwear.

As a note, I was wearing a light/medium sock not a cotton sock. I specifically wore a "test" sock for boots tonight.

A size 12 was very snug, way too snug.
A size 13 felt better but was still a bit snug

Now here's where the complication started because I wanted to try a size 14. They didn't have the 1500 in a 14, but they had a 1000 in it, same make and year (this year) but 1000 instead of 1500.

So a size 14 felt better but if I wanted to layer socks if it got real cold, it would be tough. I put another sock over my mid weight one and it was back to the snugness of a 12ish to 13ish.

So I stepped it up to a size 15 in the 1000 gram model and these fit well with a single or double layered sock. I still had some wiggle room there. I also figure earlier in the "cold" months, I can put a foot liner inside to fill in some space and lift my foot up a bit.

Anyway, very comfortable boot...neoprene lined is mega comfortable and no rubber grabbing your foot anywhere. To me they felt like slippers! :)

But, I feel like an alien ordering size 15...but that seems to be what fit best. Guess that's why we try them on? :)

Someone did mention here that you should size UP because the Alpha Sports fit a bit tighter than normal. Now I'm hunting for a source for size 15 LaCrosse Alpha Burly Sport Insulated 1500s and only coming up with a direct order from LaCrosse...for $30 more than other size 14 sources.

Meh! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I did wind up ordering the 1500s directly from LaCrosse. They came in yesterday, fit awesome and feel like slippers! Can't wait to try them out this late season, and definitely can't wait for the temps to drop! Tired of these 100+ heat indexes!

The boots have a nice textured camo on them, i.e. non reflective, non shiny, non-smooth, dull matte camo finish. They are super light considering they are 1500 grams of insulation, and will be a welcomed addition for my long walks into stand locations. Slip on easy, come off easy and with that 3.5mm neoprene inside, they are nice and soft/spongy when walking. No rubber contact to shread your socks or heels.

Just thought I'd give it a bump if anyone was looking at them as well. I'm definitely a big time LaCrosse fan after years or raw ankles and heels with other boots!

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
I'll second that...

I treid on some Alpha Burly Sports a few weeks back at Bass Pro. MAN, were those things tight! :eek: I have a wide foot and they killed me. I even went up a size, slightly better, but would have had to go up 2 more sizes (I'd have been at a 15 at that point.... in 800 gram insulated ones). No dice... that's way too much room in the toe box and I'd feel like Ronald McDonald. :D

Went with another brand.... the Burly Sports were nice though.... just wish they'd have come in wide sizes.

-ZA206

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
za206:

Yes, the Alpha Burly Sport 1500s do run mega small. My foot is comfortable in a medium width, although I could go a little bigger. I am normally a size 12/13 and I had to get the 1500s in a size 15.

I'll have to do a comparison but I have size 13 Brownings which seem equally large as the size 15 ABS 1500s. I think their sizing just runs extremely small. Fits good for me, love the feel, and have room for layering two socks. Rather be roomy than tight though! :wink:

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
How does it compare...

I have tried both the alpha burly sport 800, and the MUCK Woody Max. I am like my wife picking out a swimsuit, I can't decide. Both are more comfortable than my current rubber boots. Both are roughly $110. What to do, what to do............ I think another trip to Cabelas is in order, so that I make an informed decision! :p

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked at the Mucks and they look super comfy. My only peeve with them is durability in rough or thick terrain. Alot of briars down here, and from what I've heard...the Mucks will get torn to shreds.

But I've never heard a bad thing about Mucks when it comes to comfort or warmth. I think they are a fine choice for a hunting boot, but not a scouting boot (at least not in the areas I go through).

Plus how much scent does the Muck neoprene hold vs a rubber exterior boot like the ABS? That's an even bigger concern of mine.

Good luck dude! ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts