Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, not a newbie here but.....
I've hunted a lot but mostly on my land with permanent stands.

So my question is....

If you have 3, 4 or X number of portables.....how do you get into each one?

Do you have one ladder/climbing stick and take it with you to each location?
Seems kinda spendy to have a ladder for each, yet seems noisy and inconvient to have to mount a climbing stick every time you change stands.

·
snıuǝƃ ɹǝʇsɐ&#6
1,983 Posts
1 ladder for each stand is the only way to go....who the heck wants to make all the racket of putting it up/taking it down every time.

although taking the ladder home with ya might save your stand from being abused and/or stolen

·
Remember.. Archery is fun
3,323 Posts
I use Lone Wolf climbing sticks. They work great. I've had stands tampered with even on private land, otherwise I agree with ladders for each one.

Nick

·
Registered
645 Posts
If hunting public ground or a place where you can't use screw in the Lone Wolf sticks are the way to go. If the land is private then either screw in steps or if the land owner is ok with it and you know the spot is good then nail in tree spikes.

·
Remember.. Archery is fun
3,323 Posts
I never used a ladder stand until I helped a schools archery club hunt in the fall. Very nice. We setup about 20 stands in August in private land. That was work but it was worth it.

Nick

·
Registered
119 Posts
Screw in steps. Can find a good deal every so often in Cabelas or Bass pro.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
A set of climbing sticks for every stand for me. I leave them out all season. I remove the bottom couple sections in the off season.

I'd hunt with a climber before I'd lug a set of sticks in and out with me each time. I love climbing sticks, but they are a pain to hang each time.

·
Registered
15,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DEC said:
A set of climbing sticks for every stand for me. I leave them out all season. I remove the bottom couple sections in the off season.

I'd hunt with a climber before I'd lug a set of sticks in and out with me each time. I love climbing sticks, but they are a pain to hang each time.
Climbing stands are out of the question here in MN, About 1 in 100 trees would work.

Sounds like sticks for each!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm planning on trying something new this year - what do you think about using the screw in steps for everything from 5 feet high and up, and just carry in the bottom section of climbing sticks to get to the first screw in when hunting? This way someone would have to come prepared if they were gonna use and/or steal my chain on.

How do you guys safely screw in the steps when you get up over 10'?

·
Registered
182 Posts
That sounds like that would work out very well.Thank you for that idea.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I am up to 4 different climbing stick and one more on the way. Two sets of screw in steps. I find the craford step to be the best.
If I find an area that will allow a climber I use my treewalker.
If the property is new and I am not sure of my neighbors I will use steps then lock the stand. On the way down I remove the steps and replace them with twigs in the holes. Next time I go up I remove the twig and put my steps in the hole that was made last time.
When I need to go real light I bring a homemade auger drill. Drill the holes and install grade 8 socket head bolts.
As for setting screws I alway use a lineman style setup harness and lean back to allow both hands to be free. Then I install a step the next step is set just above the knee because I do not like to streach to much. It takes more time but I feel it is safer for me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
screw in steps is the way to go i leave them in all year long...after seson is over unscrew them bout 2 turns so when the tree grows is dosent grow around your steps...

·
Registered
15,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So who makes the quitest, easiest to setup---for the least amount of money---
climbing device?

·
Registered
603 Posts
redruff said:
So my question is....

If you have 3, 4 or X number of portables.....how do you get into each one?
I am very fortunate to have toenails just like a squirrel. I just take my boots off and climb on up! :darkbeer:

3L

·
Registered
15,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
3L_Archer said:
I am very fortunate to have toenails just like a squirrel. I just take my boots off and climb on up! :darkbeer:

3L
That's an ugly picture!:mg:

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
I have a bunch of climbing stick sections I use with most of my hang-ons and then I use screw-in steps for the rest.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Lone Wolf makes the best when it comes to quiet, easy, and light. The only downfall is the price, but you really only need one set of climbing sticks which run about $120. It would be the best $ you spent, as well as their stands.

redruff said:
So who makes the quitest, easiest to setup---for the least amount of money---
climbing device?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts