Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi lady archers!

I shoot olympic-style recurve and I am a fairly busty individual. It's been a constant battle for me trying to combat the string clearance issues due to having a large chest. I've changed my stance, my draw, my anchor point. I've tried using different chest guards, but they never work right. The ones I've tried don't stay in place, aren't shaped right, are uncomfortable, etc. However, I've recently discovered a company based in Germany, run by a woman, called Artebo. They make chest guards for men, women and youths. But the best part is, the chest guards for women are actually formed for a woman's anatomy. In addition, you can even send in your measurements for a completely custom fit, which is what I did. The construction is really high quality and it's so light and comfortable to wear that I sometimes forget I'm wearing it while I'm shooting. It has a thick patch of leather (I got a double layer for added stiffness) that the string rests on and it really helps give the string a solid, smooth surface to come off of. The clasp is very secure as well. I've had trouble with other guards coming unfastened when I went to draw my bow. But this one stays and the guard itself tends to stay in place as you move. I even did some silly jumping and arm flailing to test it out. This chest guard combined with a compression sports bra and an open stance has made a big difference in the arrow flight path. The string still makes contact with the chest guard, but the string no longer has any loose fabric to cling to. The short sleeve also helps keep down shirt sleeves, which is nice. It also came with a clasp extender so if I need to wear a coat or a thicker garment under it, I can adjust the underbust. They're a little pricey, but the fit and high quality construction made it so worth it!

I hope this is helpful to my fellow female archers! I haven't seen a ton of useful info out in the world for women's archery equipment so I really felt compelled to share my experience.

Here's a photo of me shooting yesterday with the chest guard.
IMG_4400.jpg

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am so glad that you posted this! I've been looking at that guard for a while now and haven't been able to find enough reviews online to justify the price. I've been using an Avalon chest guard and it has just never fit quite right, rides up like crazy, and I hate readjusting it all the time. The easton chest guard wasn't any better. It's like the majority of companies that make these things assume that we're flat-chested or nearly so. Anyway, thanks again for posting, it helped me make the decision to bite the budget bullet and go for it. :-D

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Maybe trad is different but I am ok endowed-36d and never needed and guard? Sure its not form??

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe trad is different but I am ok endowed-36d and never needed and guard? Sure its not form??
If you’re anything larger than an A or AA, you’re still going to have string contact issue on your chest. It may not be drastic, but I find that busty women tend to have string contact issues no matter how they change their form. If you look at a male archers, they are able to pull the string much farther into their chest area without much or any contact. But honestly, chest guards are good for anyone to use regardless of bust size because it helps keep down clothing. Just my two cents, but if you’re not having problems with the lady bits then that’s great!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am so glad that you posted this! I've been looking at that guard for a while now and haven't been able to find enough reviews online to justify the price. I've been using an Avalon chest guard and it has just never fit quite right, rides up like crazy, and I hate readjusting it all the time. The easton chest guard wasn't any better. It's like the majority of companies that make these things assume that we're flat-chested or nearly so. Anyway, thanks again for posting, it helped me make the decision to bite the budget bullet and go for it. :-D
Yay! I’m glad to have helped get the word out. The material Artebo uses is a little stretchy and I haven’t noticed any moving around. It stays in place really well.

I think the problem is that women are still severely underrepresented in the archery community. And thus, manufacturers just don’t see the profit in selling something for a small market. It sucks! And even so, a lot of the professional competitive female recurve archers are fairly small breasted. The only one I’ve seen that has a larger chest is Ksenia Perova. She’s my inspiration because she kills it out there and I struggle sometimes with thinking archery isn’t for me because of my body type.

·
Registered
11 Posts
im 36c, i never came close to the string with chest, however i was having issues at first with the string slapping inside the elbow, after being taught how to use my shoulders, pivot a certain way when drawing ,im doin good so far without any issues. also consider breathing technique, as it could impact on the chest being outward when releasing the string. i exhale on release, it depends on which works best for each person

·
Registered
86 Posts
Most of the women that I've watched shoot world archery events have string contact with their chest guard to some extent, some have more contact than others. Even Mackenzie Brown shooting NTS, which requires a dropped rib cage, has some contact. It's not something that I've ever been concerned with and doesn't appear to affect my shooting. I've tried a number of different stance tweaks to see if I can reduce the amount of contact but they almost made me uncomfortable in some way and, again, didn't seem to affect my accuracy.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I took a look at their site. I do not use a chest guard, but I loved the look of their arm guards.That is to say, they looked well-designed and comfortable. So I ordered one & it came today.

036A6E60-0EE1-4863-BB1C-4A9187460D58.jpg

·
Registered
135 Posts
I had a chance to shoot with the new arm guard. It was great. It fit well, protected my arm without itching and the material was soft & lightweight without feeling flimsy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
im 36c, i never came close to the string with chest, however i was having issues at first with the string slapping inside the elbow, after being taught how to use my shoulders, pivot a certain way when drawing ,im doin good so far without any issues. also consider breathing technique, as it could impact on the chest being outward when releasing the string. i exhale on release, it depends on which works best for each person
It totally does depend on the person. I have 32H size so my breasts stick out about 4-5 inches from my rib cage, even with a compression sports bra. I stand with a very open stance to help reduce string contact. I also exhale as I reach full draw. It does seem to help reduce the contact a bit. Chest guards a great even for men or women with smaller breasts. They not only help keep the boobs out of the way, but they reduce string drag on clothing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My daughter is an Olympic recurve archer and does use a chest guard. Just curious on the one you are using if the sleeve part is part of the guard. If it is, do you find it impeding in any way your shot process?

Also wonder about how breathable it is on a hot sunny day.

As it is, my daughter and I already have interesting tan lines from our summer shooting with our arm guards. She is usually in a sports tank during practice.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Most of the women that I've watched shoot world archery events have string contact with their chest guard to some extent, some have more contact than others. Even Mackenzie Brown shooting NTS, which requires a dropped rib cage, has some contact. It's not something that I've ever been concerned with and doesn't appear to affect my shooting. I've tried a number of different stance tweaks to see if I can reduce the amount of contact but they almost made me uncomfortable in some way and, again, didn't seem to affect my accuracy.
Can you explaine "dropped rib cage"?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts