Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But the MN DNR still can't figure out what killed off all the moose in northern Minnesota. Had to be global warming, wood ticks, deer and liver flukes. No way something as obvious as wolves could be responsible. Everywhere else when wolf numbers rise, prey animal numbers fall but not in Northern Minnesota, nope. It's a big mystery here, even with the GPS collared study showing it's clearly wolves. It hurts my head to think about the money and time they waste with useless studies.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/news/4388456-lake-superior-caribou-helicoptered-island-no-wolves

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
that is what happens when politicians and the DNR favor the save the wolf twits.... hell, the Animal Rights/environut idiots are happy, now humans cant hunt the Moose, or what is left of the herd .... stupidity at it's finest ..

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
i heard that when they collared the calves they got human scent on them and the cows abandoned them. that's according to some friends who live up there. i don't remember the numbers, but compile that with the wolf kills and the bear kills the outlook for the moose population isn't good.

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
Well since wolves are not a problem for caribou maybe someone will reintroduce the wolf to the islands. Only kidding.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MN has too many whitetail deer for the Caribou ...lol need more wolves to lower the deer population to save the Caribou
That's the DNR's current plan for bringing the moose back. Lower the already pathetic deer population. Even though the evidence clearly points to wolves as the reason for the demise of the moose. They've already blamed everything you can think of other than wolves, literally. Politics not common sense is responsible for these crazy decisions.

·
Team #9
8,768 Posts
Politics ruined the deer herd in Illinois too....I feel for you man ..I hate all side of politics ..wish the DNR was free to do the job
they are trained to do ...but in Illinois the head of the DNR is a political job and is appointed by the governor

·
Registered
963 Posts
controlling the harvesting of meat/food has always been used to drive a people out and into the market you control...read some US history.

millions and millions of pounds of meat no longer in freezers due to the deliberate gross mismanagement of natural resources for personal gain...

round here the fence rows are all being removed...no habitat and no game forces people to buy what you sell... 2 industries that benefit are ag/farm and commercial hunting, both in bed with those who have control over game management and heavily dependent on money for power. What could be wrong?

·
Registered
10,594 Posts
MN DNR isn't responsible for stopping the wolf hunt. Blame your liberal federal judges. I do think DNR doesn't assign enough of the blame for the moose decline on wolves though.

·
Disco89
981 Posts
The moose population in NW MN was the very first to crash. There are/were virtually no wolves in that part of the state at that time. The population went from being about 5,000 to fewer than 500 in just a matter of a few years. Wolves ain't the issue with the moose population crash.

Interesting that blaming the wolves is always the answer. Did anyone read how their once was a thriving population of caribou in that area...until we killed them and destroyed their habitat? Yep, wolves are the culprit. Amazing how the European fears still run thick in our blood, while other human populations co-existed with wolves (here and other places of the world) for millennia. Conquer and fight nature is the only type of thinking we have?

I am curious why the Caribou on these islands have lost the ability to swim to the mainland or in other ways avoid the wolves unlike their ancestors?

·
Registered
963 Posts
The moose population in NW MN was the very first to crash. There are/were virtually no wolves in that part of the state at that time. The population went from being about 5,000 to fewer than 500 in just a matter of a few years. Wolves ain't the issue with the moose population crash.

Interesting that blaming the wolves is always the answer. Did anyone read how their once was a thriving population of caribou in that area...until we killed them and destroyed their habitat? Yep, wolves are the culprit. Amazing how the European fears still run thick in our blood, while other human populations co-existed with wolves (here and other places of the world) for millennia. Conquer and fight nature is the only type of thinking we have?

I am curious why the Caribou on these islands have lost the ability to swim to the mainland or in other ways avoid the wolves unlike their ancestors?
I've read many history books with no interest in wolves...they were there. My Opinions are based on those histories and the wolf is just a killing machine, an opportunist that thrives in a pack mentality. A single wolf isn't a problem, a pack is, let that pack grow to hundreds and nothing but a mighty force can slow it.

As for man killing off the caribou...it was done for reasons no one today cares to discuss...BUT they are the reasons I alluded to in my first post.

what cause the moose die off IYO?

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
It is too bad for sure. Here in Idaho, I used to do my elk hunting in an area that had an outstanding population of moose, and big moose for Shiras.

Then the wolves moved in. When the snow came and the deer and elk moved/migrated downstream for better winter ground, the moose would be the last to leave. The wolves absolutely decimated the moose population in this area. I drew my once in a lifetime resident moose tag in 2004 if I remember right. I had numerous opportunities and killed a nice bull.

Presently, the state does not allow any tags at all for moose in that entire area because they got wiped out by the wolves. Used to see 2-5 bull moose almost every day during September elk hunting. I feel bad for you folks in Minnesota. We finally have the wolf delisted and can at least try to bring their numbers back down. Sad to see that it really is such a money maker for the anti-hunting groups and wolf lovers.

·
Registered
10,594 Posts

Actually the wolf population is probably higher now in NE MN than it was way back then. Seriously.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
If liberals can shut down pipelines, ruin the environment/ destroy propert protesting, and peta break in/free animals; sounds like it’s time to do a little wolf hunting and when you get caught say “ I’m a liberal fighting for a cause ( poor, defenseless and tasty caribou) I’m sure like the other liberals you'll get a free pass and get praised in the media !!! ��

·
Banned
18,640 Posts

your a born and bred liberal, youve proved that time and again down in the A&E ... now you want some to believe wolves are not to blame .... the crap you spread dont work up here ....

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
https://www.mprnews.org/story/2013/03/18/environment/moose-wolf

Researchers using GPS trackers and transmitters to find out what's causing the decline of northeastern Minnesota's moose population are getting some early results that show wolves are to blame for some of the deaths.

State wildlife experts recently tranquilized 111 moose to fit them with high-tech collars that send satellite messages if the animal stops moving for six hours. The goal is to get crews to the dead moose quickly to harvest organs and tissue to find out what killed them.

Six of those moose already have died and at least two appear to be wolf victims, Department of Natural Resources officials told the Duluth News Tribune for a story published Monday. The four others are listed as having died of complications from the stress of being tranquilized and collared.

In a similar study of 19 moose collared by the Grand Portage Band of Chippewa, at least one animal died from a wolf attack.

"This is the time of the year, that we'd expect wolves to have an easier time at taking down their prey, because of the snow on the ground, so it's nothing too surprising for us," Butler said.

Northeastern Minnesota's moose population has plummeted from 8,800 in 2006 to 2,760 this January, prompting the DNR to cancel moose hunting for the foreseeable future. Scientists are trying to determine why they're dying off. They suspect a combination of higher summertime temperatures; parasites such as brain worms and ticks; increased numbers of deer, which carry brain worms; diseases; aging forests that contain less food for moose; and possibly more wolves in the moose range.

The rate of "capture-related mortality" of about 3.6 percent is average for capture-and-collaring projects and is lower than in recent Minnesota moose studies, said Erika Butler, the DNR veterinarian in charge of the project.

"Any moose that dies within two weeks of capture is automatically counted as a capture-related mortality. It may have been something else, but we count it as that," Butler said. "Some animals are weak going into it and just can't get back up. We don't like it, but it happens."

Of the two moose that appeared to be wolf victims in the DNR test, one had been mostly eaten while the other had injuries from a wolf attack but had not been eaten. It appears wolves got the big cow's calf and then left before the cow died, Butler said.

"She died from secondary issues after being wounded by wolves. It was pretty cool how (the crews) went in there and figured out what happened," Butler said.

Both of those adult moose, and even some moose that died from capture-related stress, had low body fat in what has been a fairly normal winter.

"This winter should not have had an impact on moose or even deer," said Seth Moore, a researcher for the Grand Portage Band. "They should be in good shape."

"It was clear that wolves killed it. The site was just decimated from the struggle ... blood everywhere, trees knocked down.

___

·
Elitist
5,896 Posts
Science means nothing to politicians. The DNR in Wisconsin used to be directed by people who understood the science of natural resources. That’s no longer the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,043 Posts

Disco you obviously know little about wolves and moose.
Where do people and wolves coexist as you put it? In Europe and Asia they have historically looked at man as a food item. Not hard for them to have gotten there, Wars, men hacking each other with edged weapons , dead left on the field , wolves being opportunistic ate the dead and it wasn't much of a step from there to killing unarmed peasants . Which is why those of European, Asian etc etc decent have a historical fear of Wolves. In North America until recently there was not a recorded incident of other than a rabid wolf attacking a human. Seems we have even finally driven the wolves crazy.

Are wolves responsible for this crash in the Moose population ? time and research will tell, seems they are killing more with the collaring effort than the wolves are though.
My experience with Wolves and moose is mostly from from my time in Alaska . Leaned within the first month I was there that Moose hate anything wolf like IE dogs . Barely saved one of my dogs from a cow who was trying to dance on her. Had to save our Wolf from 2 bulls trying to dance on her one winter . They don't like dogs and have waded through a number of sled dog teams killing dogs.
If the wolves are doing this to the moose in that area the deer population should be in worse trouble as moose are much better at fending off wolves than deer and are just easier to take than any moose . Hopefully they will figure it out. I really enjoy wolves but also see the conflict and how stupid liberals are. They would rather Wolves run unchecked until they kill someone and bring down public opinion on them wanting them eradicated then all the law suits in the world wont save them

1 - 20 of 154 Posts