Archery Talk Forum banner

Laminated Limbs Why Not?

1211 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Baggedgp
Why dont all bow makers use laminated limbs? Is there a benefit to not having them laminated? I'm honestly interested in knowing as it seems like laminated limbs are the way to go.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
10,560 Posts
I think laminated limbs are the way to go. I feel they are much stronger. Look at Barnsdale and the Hoyt limbs wheather solid or split limbs. There are at least 6 bow companys that have Barnsdale limbs on there bows. Martin also as laminated limbs.

· Registered
1,730 Posts
I agree 100% that they are the way to go too!!! I sure wish BT would use them also.... isnt one of thier new bows equipted with laminated limbs.... air raid or one I think!! Maybe they will make the switch too!!!

· Premium Member
8,896 Posts
Why dont all bow makers use laminated limbs? Is there a benefit to not having them laminated? I'm honestly interested in knowing as it seems like laminated limbs are the way to go.
Without a doubt, laminated limbs have a faster recovery for any amount of deflection as far as the limb goes. And they cost more to make. And they have a higher failure rate.

But not all bow designs/cam designs need that to be fast.

· Banned
3,222 Posts
Without a doubt, laminated limbs have a faster recovery for any amount of deflection as far as the limb goes. And they cost more to make. And they have a higher failure rate.

But not all bow designs/cam designs need that to be fast.

higher failure rate? Hoyt laminated limbs are the most reliable in the industry. Mathews and blowtech use planks and have the highest failure rate in the industry.

· Registered
2,477 Posts
one of the guys i know in the archery section at the local sporstman warehouse said that he was shooting in an outdoor 3d tournament, it was 112 degrees outiside. one of the guys had laminated limbs that he was shooting with and when the guy came to full draw, his limbs started to come apart and the strings looked like a mess around his face and neck.

· Banned
3,222 Posts
one of the guys i know in the archery section at the local sporstman warehouse said that he was shooting in an outdoor 3d tournament, it was 112 degrees outiside. one of the guys had laminated limbs that he was shooting with and when the guy came to full draw, his limbs started to come apart and the strings looked like a mess around his face and neck.
is that the same guy who said he was abducted and probed by aliens and liked it?

· wolfey
4,239 Posts

I call BS on the higher failure rate. The failure rate for Hoyt, Barnsdale and Martin laminated limbs is MUCH lower than solid gordon glass limbs.
I agree. Hoyt has the toughest limbs on the market followed by barnsdale.

· Registered
359 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.