Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a friendly discussion on the difficulty of public land hunting. I came from the Poconos in PA where the woods were bigger and the hunters were more spread out. In Lancaster County it is somewhat large parcels of Public land but the issue is...the mennonites and Amish in this area are NUTS! They literally form a line of anywhere from 10-20 people and drive out all the woods in rifle...In archery, you will see 5-10 mennonite or amish in Lancaster Archery supply buying their first bow, knowing nothing about the sport or hunting which absolutely demolishes any chance of mature animals being taken

·
"Keep Hammering"
8,122 Posts
Just a friendly discussion on the difficulty of public land hunting. I came from the Poconos in PA where the woods were bigger and the hunters were more spread out. In Lancaster County it is somewhat large parcels of Public land but the issue is...the mennonites and Amish in this area are NUTS! They literally form a line of anywhere from 10-20 people and drive out all the woods in rifle...In archery, you will see 5-10 mennonite or amish in Lancaster Archery supply buying their first bow, knowing nothing about the sport or hunting which absolutely demolishes any chance of mature animals being taken
So a Amish guy that doesn't know anything about bowhunting, Doesn't have a right to bowhunt? Alot of self entitlement in your post.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So a Amish guy that doesn't know anything about bowhunting, Doesn't have a right to bowhunt? Alot of self entitlement in your post.

I believe you may be looking to find offense in the post. The title of the post states the point of the post....BECAUSE of said Amish and Menonnite and their hunting habits, and BECAUSE of said amount of acreage, it makes for one of the hardest public land areas to hunt in the county...I Literally said nothing about them, and to repeat; literally said not one thing about them not being able to bowhunt....just that their techniques cause public land in this area to be EXTREMELY hard to hunt whitetail as well as near impossible to take anything mature.

·
"Keep Hammering"
8,122 Posts
I believe you may be looking to find offense in the post. The title of the post states the point of the post....BECAUSE of said Amish and Menonnite and their hunting habits, and BECAUSE of said amount of acreage, it makes for one of the hardest public land areas to hunt in the county...I Literally said nothing about them, and to repeat; literally said not one thing about them not being able to bowhunt....just that their techniques cause public land in this area to be EXTREMELY hard to hunt whitetail as well as near impossible to take anything mature.
I've seen normal guys do this all the time in Ohio and Michigan. Yet you singled out Amish a Mennonites in your post. You literally said this.

"...the mennonites and Amish in this area are NUTS! They literally form a line of anywhere from 10-20 people and drive out all the woods in rifle...In archery, you will see 5-10 mennonite or amish in Lancaster Archery supply buying their first bow, knowing nothing about the sport or hunting which absolutely demolishes any chance of mature animals being taken"

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen normal guys do this all the time in Ohio and Michigan. Yet you singled out Amish a Mennonites in your post. You literally said this.

"...the mennonites and Amish in this area are NUTS! They literally form a line of anywhere from 10-20 people and drive out all the woods in rifle...In archery, you will see 5-10 mennonite or amish in Lancaster Archery supply buying their first bow, knowing nothing about the sport or hunting which absolutely demolishes any chance of mature animals being taken"

Thanks for your comment.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Fear the beard! Public is hard period, knock on some doors and get into some private or figure the land out and use the pressure to your advantage.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I feel like this discussion would be open to entirely too much interpretation and bias opinions to even be a real discussion lol. Every person that hunts public land and has a hard time always says their public land is the hardest to hunt. Public is tough for varieties of reasons. Best way to be successful on public is locate deer where no others are willing to go. Go where natural barriers tend to stop people. If areas are blocked by water, get across it and you should find less pressure and more mature deer as they know they are safer in these areas.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I'm in the NW corner of the state.

I am surrounded by Amish, and actually share a property boundary with an Amish farm.

The Amish around here aren't the problem, they are actually respectful and ethical hunters.

I have more problems with a select group of "English" hunters than any of the Amish around here.

·
Ad Meliora
19,028 Posts
Fear the beard! Public is hard period, knock on some doors and get into some private or figure the land out and use the pressure to your advantage.
But most Mennonites don’t have beards?

As to their presence in a pro shop, I’ll bet they support them better than some of the keyboard warriors here.

Public land is just that…PUBLIC. Sounds like OP needs to reprioritize his finances and get a lease or buy his own land.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

As to their presence in a pro shop, I’ll bet they support them better than some of the keyboard warriors here.

Public land is just that…PUBLIC. Sounds like OP needs to reprioritize his finances and get a lease or buy his own land.
I actually only hunt private land in this area because of what was stated so I am with you on that!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
OP, I think you just opened yourself to negative response...

Is deer drive legal hunting method in PA? If it is, they are not doing anything wrong. They just hunt with more effective method. And consider those deer they harvested may be the only protein source for their large families, I don't fault them for doing it.

Like other said, it may be time for you to lease or buy private land... Or learn to deal with it.

·
Registered
25,058 Posts
Last year in west MI, there was a large increase in archery season pressure on public land due to covid. I began to refer to them as the "C&C" crowd....Covid plus stimulus to buy a Crossbow equals instant "bowhunter". There is a place I've hunted on and off for several years on state ground with a parking area that accesses a marsh for waterfowl hunters and a big hill to a plateau for deer hunters. I pulled in there one day at the end of October and there were 7-8 vehicles. Thinking "Oh-oh", my hope was most were down in the marsh....no such luck. As it got dark, I started seeing flashlights turn on around the area and every one was a younger fellow with a crossbow. As I was packing up at the back of my Jeep, one fellow approached me and related that he really respected that I was shooting a "real bow".....his words as a middle aged man. He was probably 25-30 years younger and just got the crossbow that week. That has become the "new normal" in the mitten.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lol, moves to Lancaster but clearly dislikes Amish. You hate apples n peaches too?
Hahahah I like apples and peaches (prefer nectarines hahah) and I like the amish(We moved here because of my wife)....It is not that I am stating their hunting technique is illegal or even wrong...many of you are getting me wrong on this. I am simply stating that BECAUSE of these techniques....anyone who hunts "properly" (may be the wrong word for it) is then effected due to the insane pressure on deer.

The post was made to discuss the difficulties of public land hunting and the different issues you deal with on said public land in different areas of the country....it is not to bash me hahahaha

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OP, I think you just opened yourself to negative response...

Is deer drive legal hunting method in PA? If it is, they are not doing anything wrong. They just hunt with more effective method. And consider those deer they harvested may be the only protein source for their large families, I don't fault them for doing it.

Like other said, it may be time for you to lease or buy private land... Or learn to deal with it.
See my post before this for a little better explanation or clarity on my post.

·
Registered
758 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Lot of people triggered over the Amish comment here though I’m not really sure why, either way I’m agreeing with the hard to hunt public land part. I’m new to Lancaster and spent the end of last winter, this spring, and summer scouting and putting cameras out and the results so far have been pretty abysmal. There are some nice chunks of public land here but so far I haven’t been able to pattern any real movement or see deer with any consistency. I’ll keep at it of course but sometimes just driving a little farther to a better place makes up for the time spent hiking and lack of success.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts