Archery Talk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
i'd take Lancaster's Amish over Alabama's Tweakers. Pull up to the spot and find that the meth heads are still chillin from last night. You can't trust 'em enough to park near them, so you are on to plan B before you even start on plan A.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
i'd take Lancaster's Amish over Alabama's Tweakers. Pull up to the spot and find that the meth heads are still chillin from last night. You can't trust 'em enough to park near them, so you are on to plan B before you even start on plan A.
Now there is a challenge hahaha Shoot a deer and provide meat for your family but risk stolen rims and tires and a broken into car? Doesn't seem worth it

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
Try public hunting on Long Island. I deal with it every year.

·
Registered
PSE EVL34, Hoyt Axius Alpha
599 Posts
So a Amish guy that doesn't know anything about bowhunting, Doesn't have a right to bowhunt? Alot of self entitlement in your post.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
You must not have to share state land with them, or if you do, limited numbers. They have ruined several of my hunts. They are noisy, don't use stands, and don't clean up after themselves (horse droppings). Other hunters here I've run into share the same sentiment. Lancaster has TONS of them and I wouldn't want to be in OP's shoes. Don't even get me started on them trespassing on private ...

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
You must not have to share state land with them, or if you do, limited numbers. They have ruined several of my hunts. They are noisy, don't use stands, and don't clean up after themselves (horse droppings). Other hunters here I've run into share the same sentiment. Lancaster has TONS of them and I wouldn't want to be in OP's shoes. Don't even get me started on them trespassing on private ...
HAHA you brought up a good point. Many of the amish dont believe in land markers so they just walk on land without aasking

·
Ad Meliora
19,028 Posts
HAHA you brought up a good point. Many of the amish dont believe in land markers so they just walk on land without aasking
I have more pics of non-Amish trespassers than Amish. Agreed that they can be good at playing dumb….like any “group” of people there are bad apples. I’m fairly certain that the theft issues I’ve had on my lease are NOT Amish.

·
"Keep Hammering"
8,122 Posts
They didn't ruin your hunt if you're hunting on public land, Any legal means goes including them pushing deer.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Come and hunt OTC archery deer in CA. Our season just opened a few weeks back. Triple digit temperatures and single digit success rates!

·
Registered
Mathews HalonX 70 Lbs 28.5 draw 670 grain gold tip single bevel Tuffheads
1,047 Posts
Why do we need to convince you do you need a hug, some one to hold your hand, thread like this are annoying .

·
Registered
18 Posts
As a journeyman I get to meet hunters from all over this country. To the OP, your not the first Lancaster area hunter to mention the Amish decimating the deer population in the area.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
I mean we have one thing they don't... Cars

I live in Lancaster county, yes there are a lot of Amish hunter, yes they can fill what few piece of public is around. If you don't like it don't hunt around them, don't have private fine you can go to public anywhere in the state, any where in the country if you want. The Poconos are like 2hrs away, so it's easy enough to drive back to your old stomping ground.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
I deal with them when I hunt at my cabin in Huntington county on public but they don’t roll in until second day of gun season. They drive the mountain in front and behind our cabin out pretty thoroughly. Kinda sucks but you just got to chalk it up to the challenges of hunting public lands my man. Archery season, fortunately, has little pressure for the most part.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just a friendly discussion on the difficulty of public land hunting. I came from the Poconos in PA where the woods were bigger and the hunters were more spread out. In Lancaster County it is somewhat large parcels of Public land but the issue is...the mennonites and Amish in this area are NUTS! They literally form a line of anywhere from 10-20 people and drive out all the woods in rifle...In archery, you will see 5-10 mennonite or amish in Lancaster Archery supply buying their first bow, knowing nothing about the sport or hunting which absolutely demolishes any chance of mature animals being taken
Shoot their horses

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Come and hunt OTC archery deer in CA. Our season just opened a few weeks back. Triple digit temperatures and single digit success rates!
What do you even wear for those hunts hahaha

·
Registered
212 Posts
They didn't ruin your hunt if you're hunting on public land, Any legal means goes including them pushing deer.

Agree and disagree. There's technically "legal" and there's being an a-hole and unethical. When we drive on one of the LAST days of season, we never have more than 5 and if there's guys stand hunting we back out. The responsibility goes both ways, you BOTH have an ethical obligation to make sure each other has a fair chase chance. If you see dots of orange out in a valley from the road, you don't pile 15 guys out of a van and head right through (yes that happened to me) In my opinion That's called being a pig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
"Keep Hammering"
8,122 Posts
Agree and disagree. There's technically "legal" and there's being an a-hole and unethical. When we drive on one of the LAST days of season, we never have more than 5 and if there's guys stand hunting we back out. The responsibility goes both ways, you BOTH have an ethical obligation to make sure each other has a fair chase chance. If you see dots of orange out in a valley from the road, you don't pile 15 guys out of a van and head right through (yes that happened to me) In my opinion That's called being a pig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I get what you're saying but unless it's illegal for them to be doing it then there's nothing that can be done. I've had guys push through on me and they simply didn't know I was there until it was too late, They apologized which is fine but I didn't get mad, I realize the fact that they have just as much right to be there as me and they're doing it legally. So technically I have no gripe.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Agreed but these dutchies are straight up meat hunting so as soon as the season opens they basically rape and pillage an area until their tags are full. They do the same thing to the trout streams. Fish it dry and kill/keep everything.

·
Banned
88 Posts
Want "hard to hunt" public land?

Try Monroe county, South Florida.

Forget targeting deer. The Keys Deer is "endangered" ... not that you are likely to see one ... in 18 years of living in the Keys I never did. You're more likely to see a Puma or black bear. (or an invasive African Pouch Rat about the size of a Beagle, invasive Raccoons, and/or Possum.) Oh, the Keys Deer is small; a "big one" is roughly the size of a Great Dane.
I believe the Puma and Black Bear tags are by a lottery or drawing, and may be once per lifetime, harvest one or not.

The "best" public land to hunt is actually The Everglades during the monthly invasive snake and Pouch Rat bounty hunt. :)
I don't know if the have a bounty on Raccoon and Possum.

I saw in the paper a few years ago, a guy got a 15 foot Boa during one of those hunts. I suspect the $1,500 bounty he got for that one snake paid for his shotgun, ammo, and hunting license.
(Yes. The bounty on Boa was $100 a foot at the time. It may have gone up since. And no, I never went. Dead or alive, my fear/hatred/loathing of snakes prevents me from knowingly getting with-in 50 or so feet of one. Nor can I touch a snake skin boot/belt/sheath, etc. (which I suppose saves me funds?) or even a photo of them cursed things ... "phobia" is too weak a word.)

21 - 40 of 50 Posts