Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my predicament. I set up my ladder stand in a private landowners woodlot on the 2nd of august. While carrying it in i saw blue tape(looked almost like surveyors tape)hanging from a tree limb a few feet above the ground. I thought nothing of it and proceeded. I went back today to make sure my stand was still there because you never know what kind of wackos roam the woods and there is another ladder set up not 40 yards from mine and now the tape is gone. Now keep in mind it could be that he just didn't see my ladder because i sometimes can hardly see it. Also, i'm a first timer on the property and don't want to get into any confrontations with someone who's been hunting there for years and potentially get the boot. I'm just wondering what proper etiquette is regarding a situation like this. Whether it's usually first stand up stays or what.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,441 Posts
Blue around here means the forrest is going to be cut to that point.

In your situation, try to find out from the landowner who else is hunting there and work something out. Chances are you both found the same good spot and the other hunter did not see your stand.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any more takers. I know that others have been in similar situations before. If i talk to the guy about it, am i out of line to say that my stand was up so it's definetly staying. I don't care if he hunts there i just don't want him having a problem with me cause i'm there.

·
Registered
37,086 Posts
The first thing that needs to be done is make sure that the other person is someone who is allowed to hunt the property. If it is and that person has been hunting there for awhile let him have the spot. Also find out if this other person is a weekend hunter only, mornings only, evenings only etc. Then you can maybe hunt that area at other times.

·
Registered
173 Posts
If he's got permission to hunt the land and has hunted that spot for a while, I think it would be common courtesy to move to a different spot. JMO.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
If the guy saw your stand, he's a knucklehead ... no matter what the situation. Somebody puts up a stand before you do ... tough luck; accept it and move to another good spot. Talk to the landowner, then talk to the guy. If he knew your stand was there you might as well move; because he's a jerk to begin with and you'll have nothing but trouble with him. If he didn't see your stand, he SHOULD offer to move; at that point you COULD offer to move instead; if he's been hunting there for years.

·
Remember.. Archery is fun
3,323 Posts
I think before you do anything, find out who it is and talk to him. I've shared hunting property in the past.

Nick

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
As mentioned above, blue usually = logging.

If I intended to keep hunting that spot, I would make an effort to contact that hunter. Best bet would probably be to just move your stand or hunt that spot on weekdays only.

Keep in mind sometimes this works to your advantage. Most hunters are lazy walking in. You could put your stand in an area where he will be bumping deer right towards you, and get into the woods early. I have had this work out very well for me in the past when I was limited with fewer, more pressured properties to hunt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts