Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to do more to help out the deer herd. I plant food plots every year, just curious if there is anything i can do to hold more deer on my property. I have 200 acres of timber/CRP/cropland, most timber and CRP. Any tips on bedding areas or ways to keep em close?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
keep some minerals out and leave some thick areas where you don't even walk through or hunt so that they have a secure place to bed and hide

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
+1 on the thick cover. I have a 30 acre bottom field that I put in CRP some time ago. The NRCS guys came and planted oak trees on it, they all came up, so its super dense. All the trees are 10-20 feet tall and its a tangled up mess. Its turned into one big bedroom for the local herd, so I just stay the heck out of there.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
if you have the land then food plots are great, but if i only have a small plot i would much rather have the bedding. Not only do i feel i have a better chance of catching a buck in day light than around his core bedding area. Also deer will have multiple places to feed and multiple trails to and from those areas, but usually with bedding areas you can find major trails leading in and out.

·
Registered
19,342 Posts
Plant conifers in groves at various locations, I like White & Norway spruce, hardy and fast growth. Provide cover/concealment year round. Thermal cover in winter. Plus they typically stay snow free beneath and offer food there as well.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Do a search on "hinge cutting" for deer bedding. If you have timber this might be a good way to turn some of it into cover. The QDMA forums have some good info on it.

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
There is a guy that lives by me, he has forty acres that butts against public.

He is always talking about managing the property.
How he should take a certain buck out of the herd......etc.

I just smile.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Clearcut four 10-15 acre areas strategically placed for bedding cover and stay out of them. Designate certain areas as sanctuaries. Plant some pear trees, chestnuts, and apples, but not in the same areas. Plan how you are going to get in and out of each stand without spooking deer. Work on not spooking deer period, and you'll get chances at more of them in the long run.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info, keep it coming. We have 2 ponds close by, one ours and the other a neighbors. We have two stands of evergeeen trees that are thick. As far as leaving areas alone, we dont step foot in the timber unless heading to to stand. Typically by the end of late season we have a lot of deer, they just bed up on the neighbors property. The surrounding section and all along the river is under lock and key, so very few people hunt but no one does anything to help the deer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts