Archery Talk Forum banner

Landowners rights

• Landowners have ever right to shoot animals destroying property

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Landowner must get permits from state officials.

Votes: 34 48.6%
  • Your state wildlife offials should have all say in wildlife regardless

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Its his property and has the right to do anything he wants.

Votes: 8 11.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets vote which you think is right.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
DB

I guess i would want the landowner to get the proper "nuisence permits". My fatherinlaw is a farmer and there have been times when the deer are destroying large portions of his corn crop and he says he can apply for the permits and then begin shooting them off.

·
Registered
238 Posts
DB

What are you really getting at ? Every one has already said on your other post that yes they all agree the land owner has every right to protect his crop as long as it is legal .

So whats the real story behind your question ?

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Permits

Most agree with permits. On are ranch we get all the permits we need for does. Some orchards here cannot kill enough with a few permits alone. Tough call.

To place enough hunters to kill enough deer is tough thing. Im not talking just deer. Other animals are nuisance also and we have trapper which is legal but very exspensive also.

Jeff, sometimes folks will not post but most usally will place a vote.

Permits alone will not solve the growing population of some animals.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
DB, my vote went to the first one listed.The reason being is you said it yourself,not enough permits to take care of the problem.
If the landowner is at a loss due to over population, then I feel he has the right (within the law) to cull the deer necessary.

The problem my neighbor has,is the landowners that border him will not kill enough does and he has them in his feilds at night.
They refuse to let any one hunt their land (although they only hunt 3 days of a 14 day season) and they expect him to except the loss and go on. As I said before, him killing deer off his feilds has really hurt my hunting,but I understand what he has to do completely. His livelihood is more important than me getting my tags filled.
What bothers me is he gave these drs. 5 years to do something and they set on their @$$e$.Now they are getting an eye opener...

As I mentioned in the other thread, my neighbor has permission from the G.C. and they take all the deer to H.F.T.H..

I have had success even with him thinning the herd,just gotta be more creative....;)

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Aren't 1+4 the same thing? 2+3 also appear to be the same thing?

I think that this kind of thing has got to require some permit and consultation with the state DNR. Otherwise it would be open season on deer and turkey 365 days a year.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
If the deer and turkey are destroying crops 365 days a year then they should die 365 days a year....by the time you wait on the game and fish ...your crop is usually gone.....When I was a kid if a deer got into the garden my dad required it be killed....we didn't have no money and our 5 acre garden was a lot of our winter food! Now we would butcher the deer but he didn't get a chance to eat out of that garden again! Yeah the farmer should have the right....a lot of you will disagree with this but imagine the worst thing possible cutting into your profits and stealing food from you and then .....what would you do.....are farmers crops any less important....I think not!

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
For a good definition of "POACHING" please refer to the above post by Kildog.

The minute you start killing game illegally you are a poacher and an outlaw. The last thing we need is this "kill'em all" attitude to be associated with our sport.
I do what every hunter who respects the sport does when they find a poacher . . . turn them in.

If you have a problem with crop damage, do what every other law abiding citizen does. . . get a nuisance permit. Its not that big a deal and most DNR's hand them out liberally.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Meleagris1

Just so you will know, 30 or 40 years ago the law in Arkansas was different than in your state....

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
What the law used to be is no justification for breaking laws now. I understand and appreciate you putting things into perspective historically, but I would hope that no hunter ever uses that as justification for poaching.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
What is two words that best descibe "crop damage"

"Lost Income"...

If you read my post I said that my neighbor (the farmer) had permission to thin the herd because people who did'nt know any better were to "high and mighty to shoot does".....

If deer were eating my crops and profit up, guess what I'm gonna be eating.......Rather anyone approves or not.........;)

Hunters need to realize that farmers feed the deer out of their "pockets". How much money do you spend a year on feeding the deer "herds"?????

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Hunters need to realize that farmers feed the deer out of their "pockets". How much money do you spend a year on feeding the deer "herds"?????
Treejumper, you are saying:

1) It is OK for farmers to poach to maximize their income.
2) You are a poacher

right?

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Meleagris1 said:
Treejumper, you are saying:

1) It is OK for farmers to poach to maximize their income.
2) You are a poacher

right?
And your practicing to be a "lawyer right"???

To answer your question,I don't call having permission by game comm."poaching"

And NO I am not a poacher...

I'm just saying that "people like you" think the deer herd should be left "alone" to eat up the farmers out of house and home so you can "fill your tag". And all it cost you is a liscense....

I'm sorry Meleagris,deer don't mean that much to me, that I would put them ahead of an honest man and his familys welfare....

Crop damage is two-fold,they buy it,plant it and then only get a fraction of it back.....

And yea 2+3=5, so you were right about that.....

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Treejumper wrote:
If deer were eating my crops and profit up, guess what I'm gonna be eating.......whether anyone approves or not.........
Then treejumper wrote:
To answer your question,I don't call having permission by game comm."poaching"
1st you say you shoot the deer whether you have permission or not, and then you backtrack and say you only shoot them when you have permission. Well, were you lying in the first statement or the second?

I'm just saying that "people like you" think the deer herd should be left "alone" to eat up the farmers out of house and home so you can "fill your tag". And all it cost you is a liscense....
I never said that. Where did you get this from? I said nobody has a right to poach deer. If you have permission via nuisance permits, then its not poaching now is it. You said you kill deer "whether you have permission or not" . . . .that IS poaching.

BTW, farmers get tax breaks and subsidies for crop damage. Therefore the taxpayers are also paying out of the "public's pocket" for crop damage. I never asked you to feed the deer. You would farm whether I bought a license or not, so don't act like your doing the world a big favor feeding the deer. I spend most of my time hunting areas without farms. (Incidentally, I grew up on a farm)

And your practicing to be a "lawyer right"???
I am waiting for my results from the BAR exam. I received my Juris Doctor in May.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Ok Johnnie Cochran,If you read any of my threads on this you would see that I am "not" a farmer.( My neighbor is)

As far as poaching, no I don't poach. As I said if I have a problem I will get permission just as the farmer did. But I don't plant fields so i see no problem....I said rather anyone "meaning YOU approves of it or not..

You really need to start comprehending what you read.....

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
So you are saying that this statement by you:

If deer were eating my crops and profit up, guess what I'm gonna be eating.......whether anyone approves or not.........
means :
As I said if I have a problem I will get permission
Yes, I guess I heed help in comprehending your posts becasue it seems to me that you say you would kill deer with or without a permit.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
The important thing is that anyone, farmers, homeowners, gardners etc, who has problem with deer damage should go through the DNR to get nuisance permits. If the DNR gives you 1000 of them and says shoot everyone deer you see, that is fine, (although I hate to see wasted meat).

What all people, especially hunters have to realize, is that killing game without some type of tag or permit IS poaching. If you care about the sport, please don't do it.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Meleagris1 said:
The important thing is that anyone, farmers, homeowners, gardners etc, who has problem with deer damage should go through the DNR to get nuisance permits. If the DNR gives you 1000 of them and says shoot everyone deer you see, that is fine, (although I hate to see wasted meat).

What all people, especially hunters have to realize, is that killing game without some type of tag or permit IS poaching. If you care about the sport, please don't do it.
I agree,although in my neighbors case, he was allowed to shoot three at a time (meaning 1 pickup by the G.C.) and all the deer went to H.F.T.H. He was not permitted to keep any himself or give them away.
All the deer were accounted for and went to a good cause....

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Meleagris1 said:
So you are saying that this statement by you:

means :

Yes, I guess I heed help in comprehending your posts becasue it seems to me that you say you would kill deer with or without a permit.
It says rather "anyone approves or not"...Not with or without permission......

For Example:
My neighbor has permission,and the landowners above him are quite upset that he is doing it........That is what I meant........

I am not a "liar"either so I'd appreciate in the future if you read my post ,read them more thourough,and please don't misinterept what I say and start running me down....

By the way....Good luck with your exam and have a good hunting season...:)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Before you get holier than thou melangris....let me tell you another true story....8 years ago a local farmer was having problems with deer on his fruit farm...(my uncle as a matter of fact)...it seems as if every deer in the county was in his strawberry patch and apple and peach orchard....he is not a hunter and therefore didn't care how the deer were eradicated but wanted to do it right so he contacted the state game and fish commission and asked for permits...to at least allow the family to kill the deer and use the meat...by the time it went through all the red tape...the crop was totally destroyed at his expense...(try to make a living on the subsidary you speak of....actually about ten cents on every dollar......) and this gets better pal...mr law abiding attorney!! the game and fish dept showed up and night hunted these deer and killed 32 of them and let them lay....they would not let him or any member of his family pick them up and butcher them....says it was against the law...so he was left with the liability of moving the deer into a big pile 3 days later and burning!!he had to put up a 10' fence around 20 acres to keep the deer out after that...even he as a non hunter knew that was wrong...poaching you use so loosely there....which would have been better...kill and eat or do it by the law???? The law SUCKS when it comes to a man's livelihood....I'm glad you have the luxury of sitting in your high office and judging the actions of others....I AM NOT A POACHER!!!NOT EVEN IN THE BROAD SENSE OF THE WORD! I resent your insinuation that I am...Get the facts next time before you start calling names!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts