Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which sharpener system would be best for broadheads? Looking at the lansky system.The deluxe 5 stone or the professional system.. Just wondering what everyone thinks or uses to resharpen their fixed blade heads. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
With the Lanskey. You can get the 25 degree bevel that is required on most broadheads. Just look at the different grit stones and see which will work better for you.

·
Registered
49,868 Posts
Always found it faster and easier to just replace the blades. But if your talking about something fixed like a Montec G5 makes a diamond stone for those.

·
Socket Man
23,547 Posts
Well, I hammer my blades flat once they get buggered and put them back in. I find that they cutting they do once they are jagged is way better than fresh or sharpened blades. In rage or nap killzones.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I use staysharp jigs and lanskys. I honestly prefer the staysharp for Broadheads. It's easier to hold the blade, especially small bleeders. But the lansky is great for knives.
Regardless of what some people may say, you want your Broadheads mirror sharp!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I suck at sharpening. Bought a Lansky years ago for knives, I was somewhat successful at it but in reality I still sucked.
With jumping on the fixed blade bandwagon this season I purchased the Stay Sharp clamp, some diamond plates, and rubbing compound. Very impressed with the edge I achieved on the VPA 2 blade, haven't used it yet on my Cutthroat single bevels that just arrived recently, but I'm confident I'll be able to get the same results. IMO the most important step is aligning the blade in the clamp to match the bevel. Will be so nice not to have to pay the inflated price for replaceable blades every season moving forward, I'll just touch up an hunt👍

Reactions: Jaberry

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I hammer my blades flat once they get buggered and put them back in. I find that they cutting they do once they are jagged is way better than fresh or sharpened blades. In rage or nap killzones.
Use to know a guy that would nick his broadheads all up before hunting. Said it ripped the deer instead of cutting them. Never did see him shoot anything. Lol

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
I really need to give the stay sharp another chance. I bought one and tried it a few times and literally threw it in the garbage. I have been using the same Lansky for many years and never had a problem. The Staysharp looked quicker and easier so I gave it a try. Maybe I was doing something wrong.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I really need to give the stay sharp another chance. I bought one and tried it a few times and literally threw it in the garbage. I have been using the same Lansky for many years and never had a problem. The Staysharp looked quicker and easier so I gave it a try. Maybe I was doing something wrong.
Be sure to order the correct clamp for your head. I had a few questions so called and talked the owner, super nice and knowledgeable, he informed me I will have some work to do on the Cutthroats as there is a 1 degree difference between factory grind and his clamp (25 degree bevel vs 24 clamp) so I will essentially be refacing them. Some great videos and a commonly asked questions page on website as well.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Be sure to order the correct clamp for your head. I had a few questions so called and talked the owner, super nice and knowledgeable, he informed me I will have some work to do on the Cutthroats as there is a 1 degree difference between factory grind and his clamp (25 degree bevel vs 24 clamp) so I will essentially be refacing them. Some great videos and a commonly asked questions page on website as well.
Thanks I will definitely check them out. I will mainly be doing Exodus full blades so I'm sure I can get something to work.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Never had great results with the stay sharp always sharpened unevenly for me.

I just got a work sharp ken onion. going to see how it sharpens the stingers, exodus, IW and mechanical head blades I have.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What about the kme broadhead sharpener? Looks like the stay sharp but made out of aluminum. Wonder how that works

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Interesting how some sharpeners work for some people and not others. I bought a Lansky back in the early 1980s, for knife sharpening. But soon found that it works great on BHs. I’ve used it almost 40 years, and wore out a number of Lansky stones. One of the criteria I use when selecting BHs is “ can it be sharpened on a Lansky”, if not, I don’t buy it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts