Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been a few threads on this but I just havnt found a whole lot of good stuff on a good backtension for a somewhat beginner and large hands....I think i want a 4 finger but just wanted to hear what everyone likes....the cheaper the better since im not sure if I will fully pursue it!

Thanks guys,
Drew

·
Registered
73 Posts
check in the classifieds lots of deals in there. i've got larger hands myself and think that the 4 finger stans are really comfortable, although i shoot a two finger tru ball the stans are super nice and fit large hands very well

·
Registered
221 Posts
Since nobody is replying to you I will. Honestly I haven't got into this whole handle style release and backtension methods yet but I am also trying to learn about it. I was trying a Stan MagMicro release and I found that too be comfortable. I am pretty sure that the release comes in different sizes because the one I was using had an L stamped in it for Large I would assume. You can get them from Lancaster Archery for $140. Other than Stan I have heard Carter and TRUBall are suppose to make some nice releases. I found a shop that said I could bring my bow in and try out a few different releases and I plan to do so but I haven't been able to yet. Maybe you could find a shop like this. I guess if you are looking to learn the backtension shooting method you might want to find a coach to help you. You can find some videos and articles on the internet about it. I have watched videos on Performance Archery TV and I feel that they may be helpful. Hopefully more people respond.

·
Registered
507 Posts
You might try a Scott longhorn Advantage pro. It is the biggest releae I have shot.

Mason

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have been looking at the Scott Longhorn 4 fingers....they look pretty big and comfortable

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I recently purchased a Whalen hooker release and love it.. Very simple to adjust and use.. check them out you will get all the help you need from Mr. Mike he is the one who designed it.. look him up on here
Whalen hooker release...

·
BnBSlings
3,215 Posts
if you are just getting in to back tension i would reccomend the carter evolution. There is no better way to learn to use back tension...

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
if you are just getting in to back tension i would reccomend the carter evolution. There is no better way to learn to use back tension...
My response to that is a hinge.

Actually I can relate to You somewhat. I might not have "large" hands as You do. I DO have FAT fingers. Is that what You mean or do You mean large in all dimensions? My favorite feeling release WOULD be a Sweetspot2 but it is a 3finger(I prefer 2finger) and it has a safety which I really don't like except for hunting. So my favorite right now is a real "cheapy" as far as releases go. it is a TruBall BTgold. Sometimes if I am swelled up(damn salt) though it is too small for my index finger. So I guess what I am saying is stay away from one of those if Your hands are quite that large.

I also have a Bernies "Knuckle Under". I PERSONALLY do not like it as it is a 4finger witha "swept back" handle. But it seems as though it would fit a larger hand quite well. I actually think You can order Bernie's releases by size. Check out www.robinhoodvideos.com. I bought a STAN 4finger here in the classifides here that is DEFINITELY too small for me. But yet again, I think You can order some STANs by sby size too.

As for the indrease pull releases like the one mentioned above. Well different strokes for different folks. I prefer a hinge and in regards to Your "interests" that You stated, they are NOT cheap! I have an HHA one that I really do not like because You need to hold in a lever with Your thumb to be able to activate the release and it causess tension in my hand. But it would fit larger hands for sure. Maybe if I was able to try an EVOLUTION which doesn't require squeezing anything while working back tension, I would take a liking to that type of release. But they are too expensive for me to buy one blindly just to see if I like it.

Good Luck. And let me/us know what You get. If You don't want to dig up this thread, let me know via PM. I am always interested in other people's ventures into back tension. I am a "back tension new-born" and I can really relate. Remember, You can't "try" back tension and like it. You have to commit to it before hand and refuse to ever fire a release by command again until(sometimes ya need to punch) You have back tension mastered. To be honest, it really feels "strange" to me to even think about drawing a bow and using my finger to shoot. I may NEVER use a trigger again. Nope, not even for hunting! :thumbs_up

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
The Scott "Black Hole" 4 Finger is pretty big.....At least to Me........Harperman

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I know there have been a few threads on this but I just havnt found a whole lot of good stuff on a good backtension for a somewhat beginner and large hands....I think i want a 4 finger but just wanted to hear what everyone likes....the cheaper the better since im not sure if I will fully pursue it!

Thanks guys,
Drew
Zenith Big Guy 4 finger was designed for very large hands. Good, simple BT release. www.zenitharchery.com

·
Registered
720 Posts
I've shot just about everything over the last 6 years of learning BT.

The longhorns are nice for big hands, a large stan is my favorite. Bernie has a nice head design but his set screw is on you middle finger if you've got big mits you'll be feelin that inside of ten shots.

I have this hinged carter 4 finger with some kind of weird head design I really dont understand. It's an ultra smooth release and it is freagin HUGE. This handle is so big it's silly looking. This model's not on their website anymore and I cant remember the name. If someone could out their knows what I'm talking maybe you could help this guy out.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Simple Consistant Hooker

The Hooker Release is a Simple Consistant release everytime. It's design eliminates that inconsistant first finger pressure you will have with many releases out there. I sold a 7/8" model to a 304lb man. He holds it on the flat of his fingers. If you want to hold the Hooker deep the 1" model would be better. Using it for hunting the 1" gives you more room with a light jersey glove on. I sell about 3:1 ratio of the 1" to 7/8" model. The overall size is the same. The price is very reasonable considering it is the only release out there with a stainless steel hook and screws. No moving parts. Adjustability is as easy as setting a clock. One release for all shooting.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Myself

I recently purchased a Whalen hooker release and love it.. Very simple to adjust and use.. check them out you will get all the help you need from Mr. Mike he is the one who designed it.. look him up on here
Whalen hooker release...
I have a Hooker Release myself and absolutely love the concept of it(no moving parts) and it is the quietest release i have ever NOT heard. My only problem is slowing it down. It takes so little pressure on the outer finger for it to fire. Is it supposed to be this way? Do i need to adjust my hand(the way I distribute the pressure among my fingers) to it before squeezing my back? Or am I doing it totally wrong?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
i have been looking at the Scott Longhorn 4 fingers....they look pretty big and comfortable
I have smaller hands and shoot a 4 finger Longhorn. I absolutely love it but if you have large hands it might too small for you.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Scott introduced an even larger version of the Longhorn at this years ATA show. Eric Griggs described it as a release for the guys with the really big paws. I can't put my hands on a 2010 catalog this morning but you might call Scott and ask about the BIG release.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
shortarrow mentioned a Bernie's Knuckle Under and I agree. I have large hands and find the Knuckle Under fits my hands.

·
Registered
622 Posts
shortarrow

I went up to Lancaster Archery and they allow you to try the backtension releases before purchase. I did this several years ago. They have a release testing bow that allows you to go through the motions without shooting an arrow.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Zenith Big Guy 4 finger was designed for very large hands. Good, simple BT release. www.zenitharchery.com
+1 for the zenith. Very good release for a big guy. Smoooooooooooooth. I have average size hands but in the past I liked to hold the release really deep. I have since changed the way I hold the release so I have switched, but it was a great release. Joe makes a really comfortable and smooth release. :darkbeer:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts