Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on compound target bows for someone that requires more than 31" draw length? So far, I have been directed to the Martin Sceptor, the Hoyt Protec and a non-specific Mathews. I'm looking for target colors ... something jazzy and cool looking. Also, if a person gets a Sceptor III what is the best combination of cam and Limb Style? Apparently I need to have the 43" axle to axle which is the Elite ... I admit I'm somewhat lost as to what all the measurements mean.

thanks for any info.

·
Registered
719 Posts
SIII whit the ELITE FURY X and not sure what cam size give you the 31 in DR but Martin does here is mine

Attachments

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Ditto, but if you are just getting a new bow now, wait for the '04 lines to look over. And I believe #2 cams, right?

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Check out the Pearson Freedom! It is a sweet shooting target bow with generous A to A! The B Tech Pro 40 Wheely is sweet also!

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Martin Scepter III would be a good choice. You may also be able to shoot a Hoyt protec or ultratec with LX pro limbs. That has a nice long axle to axle length. But if it is cool colors you wanted, GRIV mentioned once that the 2004 Martin line will have some cool colors. But first make sure your draw length is definately supposed to be over 31".

·
Occam's Razor
9,096 Posts
How do you know what your draw length is? Have you ever shot a compound bow? What previous experience with archery have you had? Are you shooting fingers or release?. What is your wing span?

Before I would go out and buy a bow with the money you are getting ready to spend, these questions needs answering.................ck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reply answers

Hi, Thank you all ... for the comments and direction. Nice bow! ... always cool to look at pictures. I will more likely than not wait for the 04s to come out especially if they plan on some new colors.

How do you know what your draw length is? Had it measured at a pro shop ... it's 32.5".

Have you ever shot a compound bow? A couple times

What previous experience with archery have you had? I used to shoot years ago ... not with a compound though.

Are you shooting fingers or release?. Currently fingers but will probably switch. Does the use of a trigger release change things as far as draw length specs vs suitable equipment?? Hmmmm ... thats interesting

What is your wing span? approximately 76 3/4"

thanks for any info on what would work for me!

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Scepter 3

Martin's Scepter 3 is a bow fit for a king and designed for use by archers with long draw lengths like yours. The new 2004 catalogs will available very soon. Try it-you'll love it!:)

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Try the S3 elite, you will love it, as you can see I love mine. Shoots like a dream.

Scott

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ever try a Parker?

I've never shot the Parker Ultra-Light Pro or a Parker Feather-Mag II, but I have shot several Parkers and they're great bows. See the models below at their Website:

The Ultra-Light Pro comes in a 32" draw model in either 50, 60, or 70lb peak weights and it's 38" axle to axle with a 7&1/2" brace height - IBO Speed listed as 306fps.

http://www.parkerbows.com/ultralitepro.html

The Feather-Mag II comes in a 33" draw model in either 50, 60, or 70lb peak weights and it's 37" axle to axle with a 7&7/8" brace height - IBO Speed listed at 298fps.

http://www.parkerbows.com/feathermagII.html

Take a look - and you can also get the Ultra-Light Pro Competition Model in a hand-polished TQ Violet Mist ("Competition Color") - looks cool - see below!!

http://www.parkerbows.com/ultralitecompetition.html

Good luck to you!

·
Occam's Razor
9,096 Posts
Shooting with a release rather than fingers may lessen draw length by 1 to 2 inches.....

Your wingspan should have you in the 30.375 inch range give or take a 1/2 inch either way....just a decent estimation to get you close.

90% will shoot a draw length too long intially, 89% after that.............ck

·
CottonHeadedNinnyMuggins
1,246 Posts
With that draw length I'd say:
Martin Scepter III
Merlin Super Nova
Hoyt Protec
Barnsdale Ultimate X

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
Guitarzan,

I own several fine bows that are available in my 31" draw length and beyond.
See my bow list below. ;)

Sag.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
guitarzan, I would highly recommend a Darton Cyclone. Most of the Darton bows have very easy to change draw modules. The reason that this is a good choice is simple...if you ever decide to sell your bow and get another one you will have a VERY limited market trying to sell a 32.5" bow. With the Darton you can change the draw from 27 to 33 with a simple module change.

I hope that this helps. Try thier website for the bow models and drawlengths.

http://www.dartonarchery.com

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Darton Cyclone LD

www.dartonarchery.com

Terrific bow. Does everything well. Mine at 31.5 will bust 316fps. Or shoot 2613 logs for a 300 round

And serve as my #1 hunting bow because it is so forgiving and quiet.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Scepter III, fury-X with Elite limbs.

love mine, shame i'm shooting just recurve now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts