Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My New Years Resolution is to train my 64 year old shoulder to shoot my recurve again,,,
it has a 2 inch X 1/4 inch splinter on the limb ventral edge of the lower limb about 4 inches below the riser..
it involves only the top most thin layer of glass...there is a thicker of layer of glass below covering the wood...
am I safe to shoot if I sand down?

it is a 54 inch 58# recurve,,,
Thanks, Norm

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I say no. Get another bow, and while your at it, maybe a lighter one as a favor to your shoulders.
Thanks for the reply
I have 2 more but the splintered one has more sentimental value...
I have a 30# 60 inch recurve and a 50# 48 inch recurve,,,,
the #30 I imagine is too light for hunting and the shorter recurve stacks a bit...'
I was thinking of maybe a 58 inch 50# Bodnick slick stick ...never shot one but seems reasonably priced and probably easier on the shoulder
but enough KE for whitetail...
thanks, norm

·
Registered
602 Posts
The limb on my 30# PSE splintered in a similar way, perhaps 4" long. I'm afraid of catastrophic failure if I draw it back. Never stored it strung, or dry fired, never in a hot environment. The glass just failed. Only 4 years old. As for your shoulder, stick with the #30 pound for re-learning how to shoot a recurve.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ah, a kind of medicine bow. There are people around this fire that have the knowledge and skill to restore it, we call them now.

·
Lowered expectations
17,102 Posts
Hard to say if it's salvageable able based only on your description. But...

It's possible to make a repair in some cases. One way to do it is to pack the area under the splinter with epoxy glue and clamp the splinter down, and after the glue sets, sand off the excess glue that's squeezed out. If necessary, for extra support you can wrap strong thread (spectra type fishing line, for example) around the limb for an inch or so over the end of the splintered area, and spread CA (crazy glue) over the thread to lock it all in place.

After everything is dried up, when you draw the bow, listed for any cracking sounds.

But from one old wise man to another - you're 64 (around my age) and it's a 58# bow - hang it up and get yourself something a lot lighter to draw. Leave the heavies for the younger people who are too macho to shoot reasonable poundages, so they will have damaged shoulders to complain about when they get to be our age.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have nothing to contribute as far as the shootability of that bow is concerned. But if I were in you position, especially at your age, I would go way down in weight. Low to mid 40s bows are more than capable of taking deer sized animals. It's all about shot placement with a well sharpened broadhead.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,250 Posts
I had a bow that splintered like yours during a tournament. I glued it down with super glue and was able to finish the two day shoot. I practiced with it for a few weeks after the tournament and shot a 3D. Then I noticed that the tiller of the limbs were way off. That was not a good sign and I stopped before they failed. I have had two bows explode on me missing my eyes in three places by just an inch. Exploding bows can cause serious injury.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will follow your suggestions and I will get new strings for my 45 year old #30 recurve and if I get proficient enough get a 40 to 45 recurve or hybrid. I am one of those wierdos who hunts with a crossbow now but always resisted getting a compound bow. I always loved my recurves but when the compounds came out I was turned off....still can not force myself to shoot one ;)
Norm

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Apologies, I have nothing to add regarding the question but am wondering this: which bows you are shooting? Thanks.
surely nothing of any value because I bough two in the early 1970's when I had no money, and the third another 40 yr old plus recurve...
the one with a splinter is an American Archery Super Nitro 58# 54inch I bought from Dicks Sporting good store when there was just one in Binghamton, new york...thats a long time ago!
norm

·
Registered
608 Posts
Thanks. I ask only out of curiosity because I have one new takedown (Sage) but the rest of my recurves are 45 to 50 plus years old. I I prefer my equipment to be about the same age as me. I greatly enjoy shooting these old stickbows.
Best wishes for your re-entry into the trad archery world.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts