Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday I shot my largest archery buck to date but he jumped the string pretty bad. He dropped about 12-15 inches resulting in a straight liver shot with my Muzzy Trocar. As I was trying to sneak out of the stand and get back to the truck without bumping the deer he suddenly sprung up out of his bed not 10 yards off of my trail I was using to exit. I was sick to see him get up but he headed directly into a large field of CRP. I knew he should feel safe in there and bed down and eventually die there. I left him over night and came back 24 hours after the original shot. I searched that field with three friends before church and could not find him. I ended up coming back with my wife later that night and looking for him again still finding nothing. I would really like to recover this buck and I know he is dead with a 99% chance in the CRP he went into. It is thick and tall and you cannot see more than 10 feet to either side of you. I think if I had a drone to hover over the top of the field I could locate him from the air. I looked up how much it would cost to rent one and the cheapest and earliest I could get one out to me in southwest Iowa was $240 by Wednesday. I am hoping someone on this forum may have one that is closer and not break the bank for me to rent other wise I am not sure I will ever find this buck. Thanks for your help and consideration. I will have a video to upload of the shot soon as well.

·
El Jefe De Equipo Mongrel
14,995 Posts
Saturday I shot my largest archery buck to date but he jumped the string pretty bad. He dropped about 12-15 inches resulting in a straight liver shot with my Muzzy Trocar. As I was trying to sneak out of the stand and get back to the truck without bumping the deer he suddenly sprung up out of his bed not 10 yards off of my trail I was using to exit. I was sick to see him get up but he headed directly into a large field of CRP. I knew he should feel safe in there and bed down and eventually die there. I left him over night and came back 24 hours after the original shot. I searched that field with three friends before church and could not find him. I ended up coming back with my wife later that night and looking for him again still finding nothing. I would really like to recover this buck and I know he is dead with a 99% chance in the CRP he went into. It is thick and tall and you cannot see more than 10 feet to either side of you. I think if I had a drone to hover over the top of the field I could locate him from the air. I looked up how much it would cost to rent one and the cheapest and earliest I could get one out to me in southwest Iowa was $240 by Wednesday. I am hoping someone on this forum may have one that is closer and not break the bank for me to rent other wise I am not sure I will ever find this buck. Thanks for your help and consideration. I will have a video to upload of the shot soon as well.
can you use dogs ?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trying to contact a guy today to go in with some.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Take a dog, and heck you may find a pheasants or two

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And get those three pheasants we flushed up yesterday searching around.

·
Registered
278 Posts
dogs big guy... that's your best option... took my dog out Saturday after my father-in-law shot a buck with his bow. (i have a weim that i use for tracking deer and for bird hunting). waited and hour to go looking... lost all blood... so instead of walking around aimlessly... went and got my dog. found the deer in 5 minutes and 40 yards from where he shot. dog started barking... so i called him back so we could follow and he took us right to him.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Bummer , several things come to mind that aren't mentioned . Liver hits will bleed . Did you recover the arrow and verify dark liver blood ? Some times hits aren't where you think as much as you are sure . Tall crp grass is great for blood trailing in my experience because it brushes on the grass , similar to a corn field . You mention nothing of a blood trail . Good luck -

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found him tonight just grid searching the place again. There was zero blood after his first bed. He ended up dead within 250 of where I shot him and 50-100 from his first bed. uploadfromtaptalk1447124382247.jpg

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Persistence pays off good job and great deer...and a sweet looking bow to boot

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Great Buck! Congrats. Great bow too.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts