Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of shooting a winter league at our club, and everyone has these super large diameter arrows for it. Figured I'd like to get equal with those guys! They mentioned something that is 27+ that is new on the market??

·
Registered
885 Posts
Make sure you check the max size telephone pole you are allowed to use in the competition format.

If NFAA, then 27/64 shaft with a tip that is only slightly larger.

If World Archery, the 23/64 with the same guidance on the tip size

·
The Impartial Archer
18,304 Posts
Easton 2712 have been around for a while

·
Back Yard Champion
28,989 Posts
Normal competition maximum diameter arrow is 0.422 inches, with point diameter not to exceed 0.425 inches.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No rule for that in this league, I asked today!

Make sure you check the max size telephone pole you are allowed to use in the competition format.

If NFAA, then 27/64 shaft with a tip that is only slightly larger.

If World Archery, the 23/64 with the same guidance on the tip size

·
Cummins Power
2,405 Posts
a 27 size shaft is the largest that I know of... hard to go wrong with a 2712 from easton with a ton of point weight... Carbon Express just released a new 27 size shaft called the Tank 27... Gold Tip has the XXX... Black Eagle has the Magnum..... Victory makes a 27 size shaft...

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking at that new Tank shaft. Like to hear more about them from anyone that has them.

a 27 size shaft is the largest that I know of... hard to go wrong with a 2712 from easton with a ton of point weight... Carbon Express just released a new 27 size shaft called the Tank 27... Gold Tip has the XXX... Black Eagle has the Magnum..... Victory makes a 27 size shaft...

·
Registered
440 Posts
That league will destroy those expensive shafts if you put them in the 11. Just a heads up. Have a good day Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hard to go wrong with Easton eclipse or x27 for spots.for 3d stuff I would go with a carbon arrow Easton fatboys gold tip pro 22 are both good arrows.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,304 Posts
Wierd, my hunting shafts are all about 400 grains, be a better shot and not shave pubic hairs imo.
What does the weight of your hunting arrows have to do with anything?

·
Back Yard Champion
28,989 Posts
Perhaps we didn't explain properly. .422" diameter is biggest diameter arrow legal. Any arrow larger in diameter has been banned by the NFAA, ASA and IBO. As such manufacturers don't make arrows larger.....

The biggest used was some time ago and caused the ban and ruling for arrow size. It was Tim Gillingham and the 60X arrow. This monster diameter arrow was that. I believe 5/8" diameter.

Here, a Gold Tip 30X and the 60X

Attachments

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nope, they said I could go over the .422 if I desired. With that said, I'm going to go with the Carbon Express Tank 27. Although, it would be fun to shoot those logs he has there! LOL

Perhaps we didn't explain properly. .422" diameter is biggest diameter arrow legal. Any arrow larger in diameter has been banned by the NFAA, ASA and IBO. As such manufacturers don't make arrows larger.....

The biggest used was some time ago and caused the ban and ruling for arrow size. It was Tim Gillingham and the 60X arrow. This monster diameter arrow was that. I believe 5/8" diameter.

·
I am nobody.........
8,659 Posts
nope, they said I could go over the .422 if I desired. With that said, I'm going to go with the Carbon Express Tank 27. Although, it would be fun to shoot those logs he has there! LOL
I don't know of anyone making anything over .422 though.....

·
Back Yard Champion
28,989 Posts

I suppose you could build larger diameter arrows as carbon tubing is available.

Carbon Express Tank 27 - Now show us where the Tank 27 is larger than what we've said.....

• Revolutionizing the 27 series arrow shaft with the easy to tune TANK 27
• The most accurate and forgiving 27 series arrow on the market
• Combines a heavy build with industry leading consistent 360 degree spine
• 27/64" diameter, maximum diameter allowed in most sanctioned tournaments
• Patented diamond weave - unparalleled spine consistency
• Straightness: ± .0025" max
• Weight tolerance: ± 1.0 grain
• Spine selected for a consistent matched set
• Bulldog nock collars for added strength and protection - included
• Weighs 9.9 gpi

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
not sure what you are talking about, I never said the Tank 27 was larger. I'm getting it because it is legal, just incase I ever need it to be, and because it seems to be a good choice.

I suppose you could build larger diameter arrows as carbon tubing is available.

Carbon Express Tank 27 - Now show us where the Tank 27 is larger than what we've said.....

• Revolutionizing the 27 series arrow shaft with the easy to tune TANK 27
• The most accurate and forgiving 27 series arrow on the market
• Combines a heavy build with industry leading consistent 360 degree spine
• 27/64" diameter, maximum diameter allowed in most sanctioned tournaments
• Patented diamond weave - unparalleled spine consistency
• Straightness: ± .0025" max
• Weight tolerance: ± 1.0 grain
• Spine selected for a consistent matched set
• Bulldog nock collars for added strength and protection - included
• Weighs 9.9 gpi

·
Back Yard Champion
28,989 Posts

What you said.....

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I certainly wouldn't be using the largest diameter arrows out there if it was and indoor 3d league.The other shooters will mash them to bits. Tanks/X23 in 27XX and the sorts would be more suited for indoor spots.
At the end of the day its your choice, but would definitely hurt the wallet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts