Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fairly new to archery, one of the first books I reade was Core Archery by Larry Wise. I sent Larry and e-mail with a few questions. I got a phone call from Larry today, we talked for 20 minutes or so. What an awsome man Larry must be. To take the time to call and talk about archery with an absolute stranger and provide the kind of insight that he did was amazing. I just wanted to ask everyone on AT. Are all the proes this accomadating. I am fast becoming a very big fan of the principles that Larry talks about in his book. I would appreciate anyones input.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I am fairly new to archery, one of the first books I reade was Core Archery by Larry Wise. I sent Larry and e-mail with a few questions. I got a phone call from Larry today, we talked for 20 minutes or so. What an awsome man Larry must be. To take the time to call and talk about archery with an absolute stranger and provide the kind of insight that he did was amazing. I just wanted to ask everyone on AT. Are all the proes this accomadating. I am fast becoming a very big fan of the principles that Larry talks about in his book. I would appreciate anyones input.
That's cool he gave you a call to shoot the shiz. I tend to like a lot of his articles.

The owner of some smaller archery equipment companies have been good enough to call and contact me at times...recently the owner of Zenith (forget his name) was really great to talk to.

...but some pros I've spoken to just want to talk about themselves.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
That's cool he gave you a call to shoot the shiz. I tend to like a lot of his articles.

The owner of some smaller archery equipment companies have been good enough to call and contact me at times...recently the owner of Zenith (forget his name) was really great to talk to.

...but some pros I've spoken to just want to talk about themselves.
I think it is Joe Zenith, but not positive.

For the most part, people in the sport of archery are very supportine and want to help, but taking the time to call you as opposed to just sending a quick email certainly sounds like a step above.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yes, Larry knows what he's talking about and is a good coach. Even though he isn't now shooting the big tournament circuit, he still knows more about archery than most. He is a teacher by trade. Learn to actually set up and release a shot like he says to and your groups (in time) will shrink almost unbelievably.

Also, don't be afraid to take the advice of other coaches and top shooters as archery techniques aren't always one size fits all.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
He's a great guy for sure. Most manufacturers and shooters are more than willing to talk to anyone that will listen. They all started out like you at one point.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I went to Larry once and I plan on going back! Helped my shooting alot and with the book you can kinda give yourself a refresher.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Larry is definitely one of the great ones.

However, every pro that I've approached with a question was very helpful. I've no bad experiences with any archery pro and I've contacted quite a few.

As a group they are good people. They are mostly just like you and me, they just shoot better.

·
Registered
60 Posts
archers careing for archers

i used to shoot for xi , which is a bow line that larry wise helped design. he also helps merlin design theirs . any way in 1994 i got larry to sign the "larry wise premier " bow i had just won the florida state indoor with . we became friends mainly through dr.mark goldiner - who is on the israel team. he lives in tel'aviv. ANYWAY MARK BROUGHT HIS WHOLE FAMILY OVER TO VISIT US IN N.C. HIS WIFE IS ALSO A DR. HIS 2 KIDS ARE GREAT AND HIS MOTHER IN LAW CAN'T SPEEK A WORD OF ENGLISH WAS PRETTY COOL HERSELF. MY WIFE AND I ARE ALSO NFAA MASTER COACHES AND LARRY HAS BEEN TEACHING HIS CORE ARCHERY ACADEMY HERE FOR YEARS. WE JUST TAUGHT HIS 2 DAY SCHOOL FOR THE 15TH TIME THIS DEC.5&6 . HE ONLY TAKES 12 STUDENTS AT A TIME. THE MONDAY AFTER THE SCHOOL WE TOOK OUR WIFES TO SEE THEW BILTMORE HOUSE IN ASHEVILLE NC. WE HAVE BEEN HUNTING WITH LARRY SINCE 2003 AT HIS PLACE IN MIFFLINTOWN ,PA. LARRY AND DIANA (HIS WIFE) HAVE BECOME QUITE CLOSE FRIENDS OD OURS. FOR THE PAST 5YRS. WE HAVE BUNKED TOGETHER AT THE ATA SHOWS. YES - HE IS A VERY PERSONABLE GUY. CAN BE FUNNY AS CACA TOO. HE IS A GREAT GUY. GOOD EDUCATOR TOO.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I've learned LOTS of things from Larry's books (I even have two diff editions from his tuning book).

I guess I have to buy the Core Archery book and take a look. I've always heard great things about it

(other books, James Park [I have 3 of his books) and Ruth Lowe (2 books, one for recurve the other for compaound] are other ones I have and recommend)

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
The TRUE pros in this sport are,of course you will find that ONE in every crowd.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts