Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a tool to show the youth archers how steady some of the better shots in the club are I created this tool. It is a laser pointer that I mounted into a piece of PVC pipe and then the pipe is bolted to a piece of dove tail bar stock. The dove tail slides into a sure loc mounting bracket so it can be easily inserted and secured into most target bows. We don't actually use it to shoot arrows because it wouldn't line up with the sites but the younger archers can see how steady the more experienced kids are after several years of practice. I can also use it to demonstrate the difference between stabilizers and no stabilizers.

After reading and thinking about the shooting machines I think it would be a perfect tool to use to align the bow\machine between each shot. You would simply mark where the dot was on the first shot and then move the laser back to the mark for every shot there after.

Here is how I made it.
First I bought the laser from ebay.com I found and cut a short piece of PVC that the laser fit into. I drilled it and the dove tail bar stock so that the holes lined up. I enlarged the holes on the non-bolted side of the pipe so I could counter sync the inside and also so I could easily insert the bolts. I then threaded the holes in the dove tail and bolted it down securely. I cut back the end of the pipe so I could get my finger up in there to turn the laser on and off more easily (the switch is on the back of the Laser pointer). The laser didn't fit tight enough initially but a couple of wraps of masking tape around it and I was able to wedge it in there quite securely.

Option B) would be to mount the laser and pipe with the 5/16-24 bolt so it could be screwed in the stabilizer hole. It doesn't need to be on the target to work it just needs to be consistent point of reference.

You can find out all sorts of fun things by mounting a laser like how much the riser twists when you draw it and how your grip affects the bow and on and on...

Enjoy

Attachments

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Cool thanks bowbender.

·
jakeeib
1,406 Posts
Awesome design. I am using a laser in much the same way for the younger archers. I am struggling to find a way to mount a laser to the bow, without the archer being able to see the laser on the wall. I want to be able to evaluate archers hold and patterns when they can't articulate it or for them folks that you just can't figure out what's going on.

·
---------------------->
3,517 Posts
I did something like this with my son a few years ago. He was doing "fly by" while shooting NASP and was arguing with me that he wasn't. I took a cheap laser and some Velcro and mounted it to his genesis and it showed him how he wasn't aiming and then we started working on his steady ness.

·
jakeeib
1,406 Posts
I did something like this with my son a few years ago. He was doing "fly by" while shooting NASP and was arguing with me that he wasn't. I took a cheap laser and some Velcro and mounted it to his genesis and it showed him how he wasn't aiming and then we started working on his steady ness.
Yeah I started with something similiar but find that the archer starts to just watch the laser.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I started with something similiar but find that the archer starts to just watch the laser.
I would think with a stabilizer mount that perhaps "sags" a little it would be far enough bellow the target that the archer would see it on the target.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm bumping this back up because I learned something new using this device. I have always shot with a stabilizer but always wondered just how much of a difference it made. I've also had lots of people ask me how much of a difference it makes. Well, a couple of weeks ago I was showing the latest crop of young archers how steady the more experienced archers had become after several years of practice. We were using a genesis bow and several students were showing how steady they were holding. There was no stabilizer on the genesis, so I made the comment that a stabilizer would also help with that movement they were seeing. the light spot was most of it's time on the gold but jumping around a bit and flicking back and forth moving so fast it was hard to track it. It was almost like it was flashing. The flashing affect had more to do with the eyes inability to track the movement than the continuity of the light. One of my older students handed me a 30" stabilizer and said lets see what this does. Even an experienced old goat like my self was amazed at how big a difference the stabilizer made, I mean WOW the light stopped flickering altogether and seemed to hover and slide around the target. Huge huge difference. I plan on doing a video so others can see how much difference it makes.

·
Registered
178 Posts
To hide the dot from the shooter, turn the laser 90 degrees down and the movement will still be evident to the observer but not the shooter. The smaller distance will minimize the motion which is a disadvantage. Turn the laser 90 to the side and the exaggeration will be back but you will also be spraying the laser across the shooting line.

·
One Shot
9,198 Posts
Cool video. You just gave me an idea for the eze center laser sitting in my shop. Wonder if it's strong enough to aim my hooter shooter.

·
Registered
237 Posts
very awesome video bow bender. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
Here is an idea about using a laser from a few days after the beginning of AT:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=61

I am not the caliber of Terry Ragsdale but in the day I have been able to keep a laser inside the 10 ring without much effort. I don't find it to be a relevant experiment as I have been out of the X and hit dead center on more than one occasion. I would chalk that up to my subconscious centering the shot just as I released.

A better method of testing your holding ability is to put a target on the ground in front of you and attach the laser so it is aiming at the closer target. For some reason this gave me a more realistic picture of what I was seeing at 20 yds thru the scope. I video taped me, the laser target and the down range target. With a brief "good shot or bad shot" I could pick up on minor flinches before the shot exploded.
Just another idea for everyone to try. DCM

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I wish I were able to hold the dot in the ten ring with out much effort. Truth is typically I can only do it for 2 to 4 seconds which is why I don't shoot three hundreds. I think I would have a hard time hovering in the x ring for more than a couple of seconds even if I had a board propping up my bow arm.

I think the laser is a great way to explain to students what a stabilizer does and also to be able to get an idea of what their ability to hold on the dot looks like. I've had students who have trouble holding inside the blue rings so that gives you a real good idea what you need to work on.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Any particular type of laser pointer I should be looking for?

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Apparently most of them have a switch that you have to hold down to get them to come on. So you need to look for one that has an on off switch or a toggle switch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts