Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't worry purists. I won't argue for a laser sight class for ASA or IBO shoots. But I do want to mention the success I've had with laser sights helping kids that are having trouble using standard sights. Most of the problems have been with children with glasses. But no matter the reason, some kids have a heck of a time using a standard sight. Going down the list of all the things they should be doing(anchor point, bow grip....) is daunting enough. But when a kid also has to deal with glasses or eyesight problems, it can be overwhelming.

I remember the first time I tried a laser sight on a kid's bow. The kid was having trouble just hitting a 4ft x 4ft backstop at 5 yards!! It didn't take long before she was totally ready to give up on archery. So I decided to try something different. I put a laser on her bow. The difference was remarkable. she immediately started shooting TINY groups!! And more specifically, IN THE BULLS-EYE!!

Years later, I ran into another case where a kid with glasses was having lots of trouble aiming with the sights. And just like the one before, was having trouble even hitting a 4' x 4' backstop at 5 yards. So I ordered a laser and fixed him up a nice adjustable mount. And like the kid before, immediately started shooting TINY groups, IN THE BULLS EYE!! That kid went from tears to jubilation, simply by adding a laser in the place of his pin sights.

I'm working on my third kid's laser sight now for a little girl that wants to shoot, but is having lots of trouble with a pin sight. I realize that at some point, they will need to learn how to use a pin sight, if they ever want to compete or hunt, but right now, it's about having fun. And if they don't have fun, they're not going to stick with it anyway.

The only trouble I've had is the kids that can use a pin sight are jealous and want laser sights too! :p I've actually ran into more problems with adults complaining about it, even when we only show up to a shoot FOR FUN! That's a whole 'nother story. But no matter what you think, these kids are now having much more fun with archery. And I have to admit, it's hard to put down their bow after I get their laser sights set! There is something about a laser that adds more fun to shooting.

It can also be used as a learning tool. When you torque your bow, that dot really takes off! It is one of the best torque indicators there is. If anyone has any questions about how to best set-up a laser on a kids bow, just ask. I've got it down pat! Mounted properly, the laser will actually compensate for arrow drop out to a certain distance. This is accomplished by mounting it high(close to the top limb pocket) and angling it slightly down, and centered with the arrow(windage wise). Because of the trajectory of the arrow and the straight line of the laser, it will be dead on at two different yardages if set up right. And will be pretty close in between.

Does anyone else use lasers for whatever reason?

·
Registered
322 Posts
no...

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll take some pics soon. Are you wanting pics of the kids shooting with the lasers or pictures of the bows with the lasers mounted? I have a couple of pictures of my initial set-up where the laser was just above the arrow, but I found that having it mounted high and angled slightly down worked much better for automatically compensating for arrow drop as the distance is increased. And it also moved the laser completely out of the way of their sight window.

Another huge advantage that I didn't mention before is that you can SEE how the kid is aiming! You can tell whether or not they actually have their sight on the dot when they release or whether they just do a fly-by! I've been really impressed by how much effort the kids actually put into trying to hold the laser on the dot before they release.

I'll post pics soon! I wish I could do a video. It's much more impressive to see them in action.

By the way, I get my lasers from Hong Kong for around $11.00 Shipped! And they work flawlessly!

Here are pics of the laser that I use:

Here is where I buy them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161272412541?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both kinds of pics please. My 6 yr old has a cross dominant eye and my 4 year old has a hard time with the peep.
No problem. You can have both of them shooting like champs! You'll be amazed!

·
proud deplorable
5,562 Posts
yes but not for targeting i use one so i can see my float it helped me keep the bow more steady.....it just clamps onto my stab

·
Registered
10,205 Posts
Very cool.Yes both please.Got two boys 5&3 both been shooting since daipers, I want to try this and for $11 it would be fun either way to try and expermint trying it with them :).Really would like pics of how you mounted them and wear as well as a link to the laser in the pic.

Thank you sir

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Very cool.Yes both please.Got two boys 5&3 both been shooting since daipers, I want to try this and for $11 it would be fun either way to try and expermint trying it with them :).Really would like pics of how you mounted them and wear as well as a link to the laser in the pic.

Thank you sir
The link is below the pics..

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
In for later

·
jakeeib
1,406 Posts
I have been looking for the exact same thing to use as a coaching tool.
Thanks
And it is all about the kids being outside shooting bows and having fun!

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can you post a pic of how you mounted it?
Yes, I have one to mount this week. I'll get pics of it and try to get pics of the last one I mounted. If your kids aren't having fun with archery, they will after you mount one of these on their bow. And if they are having fun, it will take their fun to another level. I could see it working well for a trainer. The coach gets instant visual feedback on what is happening with the bow. And the cool thin is that if you mount it correctly, it will be pretty much completely out of the way of the sight window.

Just in case anyone is wondering how long it will take to get here from HK, I purchased one on April 17th and it arrived April 30th. I know you're thinking this thing has to be JUNK for only $11.00, But you will be shocked!

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can you post a pic of how you mounted it?

Ok, I finished the prototype for the Diamond Nuclear Ice youth bows today. I found that I needed to start out with a slightly wider piece of aluminum flat stock so the end would be a tad longer and I got the Weaver Base a little short, but it turned out pretty good for the first one. I'll just have to adjust the laser forward in the laser clamp in order to gain enough room when the limb pockets sit lower after adding bow weight. Once I extend the bracket and Weaver base, there will be plenty of room to turn the laser on and off. Patent Pending. But if you want to make one for your kids, know yourself out. I'll show and tell you how if you are interested.

This is totally different than my other mounts. I looked for an existing mount to use or modify, but had no luck. So I decided to design one myself. I tried to come up with something simple and effective that used existing holes for mounting. I used the top limb bolt's barrel nut that protrudes from the riser about .0035" to secure it and use as a pivot point. I milled(recessed) a .050" deep 1/2" blind hole to accommodate the barrel nut so the bracket will bottom out against the riser, AND so the bracket will pivot on the barrel nut via the 1/2" milled recess. If I thought it was going to take a lot of abuse, I would have made another barrel nut that protruded about twice as much, to give more support and more threads. I used the threaded hole in the barrel nut where the limb bolt locking set screw goes(8-32 I believe it was). I cut a pan head screw down so that it tightened down on the bracket at the same time tightening down on the limb bolt. It may have been better had I used a long set screw and a thumb nut(like a wing nut). I wanted to do a tool-less design with two thumb nuts to make changing the yardage quick and easy, but I didn't like any of the thumb nuts at Lowes. I have to order them to get the less bulky ones I like.

The bracket is just 3/16" thick aluminum flat plate. NOTE! I didn't mount this laser high just because there were two existing holes there. There are TWO convenient sight mounting hole in the riser. BUT, in order for a laser to be effective on a kids bow, it needs to be mounted HIGH and angle down. A laser mounted close to the arrow and level with the arrow is only good for one distance. With the laser mounted high, it will automatically compensate for arrow drop out to a point before you have to start adjusting anything. And as an added bonus, it gets the laser completely out of the line of sight. Wide open sight window! Man, I need one of these on my pig rig!

The bracket adjustment lock-down was made with a 1/4 x 20 Furniture Connecting nut with 6 flats milled on the head so it would fit in the quiver HEX mount. I just used a 1/4 x 20 x 1/2" machine screw as the lock-down screw until I get my thumb screws or thumb nuts in. The Hole through the riser is 9.5mm and the furniture nut shank is 9mm, but the way the head locks into the hex in the riser, there was no play at all.

I milled a groove for the lock down screw in the bracket to give the sight some yardage adjustment. I ground in a pointer on the back of the bracket so I cam put a piece of sight tape or white label on the riser and mark the yardages. This is one neat little sight and mount! I can't wait to see how the yardage adjustment works. It should have PLENTY of adjustment for as far as kids want to shoot. At the lowest setting, the sight is slightly angled down(but almost level). I had no problem setting a six yard zero in the current location of the pointer. The effective range will depending on the arrows used, bow weight, draw length, etc. Shooting the Carbon Impact Super Club arrows, the effective range should be great.

I may be making some of these soon for those than don't have the equipment to make their own. Not sure I want to make very many by hand. If any of you guys with CNC access want to give me a quote, we can talk. I don't have access to CNC, only manual machines.

Here are some pics.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
More Pics:

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
Nice job

1 - 20 of 33 Posts