Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

· Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Premise...
Waddell, Tbone and Nick go to Vatoville in Texas to help cull approximately 160 deer from the herd.

Upon the first day of the hunt, they're being dropped like rocks and it's literally a killing frenzy.

Now I'm not critiquing the number killed or the selection process, but, after watching that episode, I had a bad taste in my mouth...

Yes, I believe QDM is important and necessary and this alone justifies the need for a cull.
Yes, I watched all shots taken and they were on the mark, quick/clean kills.

I think what bothered me was the 'frenzy' aspect and the lack of knowing where all that meat went. Did it go into Vato's freezer? Did the boys take it (or some) home? Did they donate to a local food bank?

That episode, to me, just seemed like ammo for the anti-hunting crowd because the emphasis was on the rapid killing and the contest they had between each other; total # of deer, biggest doe, and total weight. One of them, I think it was Tbone, even alluded to the hunt as being similar to a fishing derby.

I think if they had taken time to:
1. educate the audience about the needs and reasons for a cull/QDM
2. discuss what was going to happen with all that meat
2a. and if donated, perhaps highlight that county's share the harvest or department of conservation program
it would've come off as a class act instead of looking like it did - a bunch of good ol' boys killing deer for grins and giggles.

· Registered
10,619 Posts
Everyone has their opinion, and I respect that, but I disagree. This episode was my favorite episode so far. It was all about the actual fun of the killing. Which honestlly is what keeps alot of us going. 90% of people don't hunt for food, 90% don't hunt for management, 90% of us hunt because we like to hunt, and like to kill. The meat, management, herd balance, and all that other stuff is good bonuses, but the kill is what keeps most of us coming back.

I do completelly understand you piont of letting the public know what was going to happen to all the meat, but it was not a breaking piont for me.

· preparation>opportunity
3,110 Posts
i haven't seen the episode your talking about but it sounds like a good one. I myself don't see anything wrong with the "frenzy", knowing that they have cameras and can watch each and every shot back on tape to make sure they find all the deer they shot. I do agree it could have probably done more tastefully to appease the non-hunter types and to make it more PR friendly but honestly what isn't ammunition for the PETArds anymore?

· Registered
561 Posts
I think it is fine to show it as long as it was legal and all the shots taken were ethical and a quick clean kill. As far as ammo for PETA, they can twist and turn any kill into a terrible and unethical thing:angry:

· Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everyone has their opinion, and I respect that, but I disagree. This episode was my favorite episode so far. It was all about the actual fun of the killing. Which honestlly is what keeps alot of us going. 90% of people don't hunt for food, 90% don't hunt for management, 90% of us hunt because we like to hunt, and like to kill. The meat, management, herd balance, and all that other stuff is good bonuses, but the kill is what keeps most of us coming back.

I do completelly understand you piont of letting the public know what was going to happen to all the meat, but it was not a breaking piont for me.
No Problem. I too enjoyed the kills, as they were all GREAT shots. I don't think Nick could've dropped anymore does that first morning unless they were chained to the ground...it was THWACK, THWACK, THWACK! I mean, let's face it...if I have the choice of watching that episode on my DVR or watching QDM on the outdoor channel, which one am I going to watch? That's right, the bone collector's...because that is why we watch these shows...for the kill shot. It was the whole package, I suppose, or what was missing from this package, was what I disagreed with.

· Registered
1,194 Posts
I tend to agree that a little education goes a long way. I cull hunt for farmers in the off season and have some fun doing it as I get to do little gun hunting the rest of the year. But educating folks that none of the meat goes to waste (whether donated or processed for our needs) helps ease the minds of the timid. As far as the killing aspect - yes, I do enjoy it or I wouldn't hunt. I've been a part of a small "frenzy" before and it's one of the most fun mornings I've ever had - 4 shots, 4 kills, all good before 7:30am. Quit at that point because it was getting warm and we had a lot of work to do.

Being an ethical ambassador, especially as a TV host, should be part of the gig.

My $.02.

· Registered
5,150 Posts
Premise...
Waddell, Tbone and Nick go to Vatoville in Texas to help cull approximately 160 deer from the herd.

Upon the first day of the hunt, they're being dropped like rocks and it's literally a killing frenzy.

Now I'm not critiquing the number killed or the selection process, but, after watching that episode, I had a bad taste in my mouth...

Yes, I believe QDM is important and necessary and this alone justifies the need for a cull.

I think what bothered me was the 'frenzy' aspect and the lack of knowing where all that meat went. Did it go into Vato's freezer? Did the boys take it (or some) home? Did they donate to a local food bank?

That episode, to me, just seemed like ammo for the anti-hunting crowd because the emphasis was on the rapid killing and the contest they had between each other; total # of deer, biggest doe, and total weight. One of them, I think it was Tbone, even alluded to the hunt as being similar to a fishing derby.

2a. and if donated, perhaps highlight that county's share the harvest or department of conservation program
it would've come off as a class act instead of looking like it did - a bunch of good ol' boys killing deer for grins and giggles.
I agree with you as far as let everyone know where the meat went, where ever that might have been but other than that I loved the episode. I just wish that T-Bone or Waddell had done some more killing with their Hoyt's but Nick made it up for them.

· Registered
2,454 Posts
It's just amazes me that you can go to a place like that and kill good bucks one after another. Bucks that most people would put on their wall. It was a good show and reminded me that my place sucks compared to a place like that:uzi:

· Shoot straight!
3,658 Posts
FRENZY??? :confused: It's only a half hour show. Then add in the 10 mins of info mercials, you are only left with 20mins. I'm pretty sure it took them more then 20 mins to shoot all those deer.:rolleyes:
Then you want them to show you what they did with the deer, and where the meat went. :confused:
It's a hunting show, they show hunts.:wink:

· Registered
812 Posts
I'm not condoning anything, I might offer a suggestion to answer your question. Why don't you go to Micheals camospace page or his web page and ask your question. I asked the camospace page a question about something I saw on one episode and they eventually got back to me with a response that I was satisfied with. Like I said, I'm not condoning what they did but before you make a post like this maybe you should ask them first.

· Registered
10,619 Posts
I mean no malice when I say that you do not speak for me.
No sweat, that is why I said 90% not 100%. So let me ask you, if it was not for the kill shot why do you watch hunting shows? Commercials? I like a good hunting show all the same. Fred Eichler is one of my favorites, but he shows alot of shows with no kills. That is fine, but if he never killed an animal, would you watch it?

· Registered
11,771 Posts
I really enjoyed it, after Nick's segment I was hoping to see them all smack 5 or 6 of em personally.....and as said in several other posts that was some serious shooting, on the money!!! '94

· Registered
2,751 Posts
No sweat, that is why I said 90% not 100%. So let me ask you, if it was not for the kill shot why do you watch hunting shows? Commercials? I like a good hunting show all the same. Fred Eichler is one of my favorites, but he shows alot of shows with no kills. That is fine, but if he never killed an animal, would you watch it?
You could build a city between always and never.

Why do I watch hunting shows? Entertainment.

I believe the end to an ultimately successful hunt ends in an animal paying the ultimate price. It's the times we go afield and don't kill that make the ones in which we do special.

I don't enjoy killing. I embrace it as "A" part of some hunts. There IS a difference.

Read this quote. It sums it up quite nicely......

The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the descendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter. - Finn Aagard
I could ask you ...."If the kill is your most enjoyable part of the hunt, why not just kill everything that walks by.....and why use a bow"?

But....That's admittedly an absurd. The manner of taking, to most (not all) is more important than the end result (simply killing). If I killed, every time I hunted, I'd grow VERY bored with hunting.

Would I glean any real pleasure from a hunt like they aired? Nope. Do I denounce it? Certainly not. Hunting's personal. We all do it for our own reasons. If that makes them happy, I say go for it.

· Registered
10,965 Posts
Awesome show:thumbs_upAnd Vato's place and his family are first class people.

I can assure you no meat went to waste. It was also good to see them helping thin Vatos herd.Looks like they had a blast and harvested every animal nice and clean:wink:

· Registered
954 Posts
x2

You could build a city between always and never.

Why do I watch hunting shows? Entertainment.

I believe the end to an ultimately successful hunt ends in an animal paying the ultimate price. It's the times we go afield and don't kill that make the ones in which we do special.

I don't enjoy killing. I embrace it as "A" part of some hunts. There IS a difference.

Read this quote. It sums it up quite nicely......

I could ask you ...."If the kill is your most enjoyable part of the hunt, why not just kill everything that walks by.....and why use a bow"?

But....That's admittedly an absurd. The manner of taking, to most (not all) is more important than the end result (simply killing). If I killed, every time I hunted, I'd grow VERY bored with hunting.

Would I glean any real pleasure from a hunt like they aired? Nope. Do I denounce it? Certainly not. Hunting's personal. We all do it for our own reasons. If that makes them happy, I say go for it.
:thumbs_up

· Registered
537 Posts
Premise...

Is this episode available online anywhere?

I've done a few culls, and it still feels like a bloodbath to me, even now, and I know why I'm doing it and 100% where the carcasses are going.

Beleive it or not, I hate killing anything, it always leaves me with a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. I do it cos I love stalking the animal, and eating it even more, and I know those 2 bits can't happen without the middle bit.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.