Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about everyone show a pic of the best they took last season be it buck or doe. And give alittle description about how you took the animal.

This is my 8Point from last season. Took him on Nov 20th off a bean field here in North Alabama. We had been seeing this buck all during October and Early november and had dubbed him Swamp Ghost as thats where we usually seen him in our swamp. It was openign day of rifle season and i choose to sit the beanfield to try to catch him or another of the bucks that were workign the area going to the woods to bed down for the day. I was planning on using my rifle but had a call the night before and a guy we were hunting with needed a rifle and i siad id let him use mine and id take my bow. So i got setup before daylight and waited for light. Seen a few does up till around 7:15 when he came trotting over the hill in the field headed strait toward me. He stopped at 30 yards facing me then continued off to my left into the treeline where i finally got him to stop again. I drew aimed tight behind his shoulder and released. He took off and all was quiet. At 10 my buddies met up with me and went on the trail. We found him after a bit maybe 60 yards piled up. Here is the kicker and haven't figured it out yet how it happened. But the entrance was in his chest and exit was in his neck as you can see in the photo. Anyways he dressed 241 and scores right at 118"

·
Registered
619 Posts

Killed him on Jan. 28, 2005 at 6:40am on public land in Louisiana. Rut was pretty much winding down and the deer were in a semi flooded (less than 3in of water in places) white oak bottom. The does were tearing up the few trees that were still dropping. The day started out bad my flashlight went out while walking in and my father-in law fell in a creek.

We said to hell with it and continued on. I got to my stand at 6am still plenty dark. I glided up the tree in my summit to about 30ft and got ready. I could see that it was a very heavy fog, the kinda fog that you can see the water mist swirling in your face. I could bearly see shapes on the ground when I could hear the squish squish squish of feet sucking in the mud. I began to franticly look around to see where it was coming from. i could make out legs walking in front of me at about 40yds out and they were walking to the oak tree I was watching.

When they reached the oak tree at 20yds he put his head down and began to feed I saw the rack and about flipped out. Woodducks were starting to pour in the woods and were landing within 5yds of him and he didnt pay them no attention. I knew if he turned left or right he would be in either shooting lane. I kept telling myself stay calm pick a spot smooth release over and over. He turned to my left land and showed me his right shoulder.

I raised my Hoyt came to full draw and let it go, the CX300 with Grim Reaper flew and I heard the TWHAPPPP and he crashed out water flying everywhere. Then there was silence, then a load BBRRRRRRRRRR and then nothing else. It was 6:40am at 7:00am I climbed down and went to find my arrow. I found it there and realized that I hit the front shoulder because it was broke off with only 15in of shaft on the ground ( I shoot a 30.5in arrow)
I looked up and there he was only 35yds away. Here is a pic of how I found him. He scored 130 after dedcutions it was 124 1/2 but in my eyes he has 130in of antlers and I aint taking nothing away from him.He weighed 190# post rut he was run down pretty bad I would have loved to see him pre rut weight.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts