Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's good to see everyone seriously contemplating whether it actually works. i feel my work here is done. no seriously, by all means if you feel more confident wearing it then you should. if your not at least a 100% confident in your equipment and yourself then you''ll probably become frustated and angry and give up . i hunt because i love the outdoors and nature. i don't have to make a kill to enjoy my season, some of the things i see are enjoyment enough,( two bucks fighting),( a turkey struttin) to name a few. everyone has their own ideas about what works for them, and to them i say; good life, good luck, and good hunting.:cool:

·
74,535 Posts
Just do onion test

I take a onion and place it in the hood and try to smell it. You cant. Carbon does absorb scent. That tells me it works. Mine is atleast two years old. I can say that they cant be worn it warm weather, dont breath at all. I do beleive they help. No such thing as totally eliamnating smell but I have had deer come from downwind that normally would have smelled me.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Scent suits were all the rage when they first were developed. However, I have yet to see any real scientific and conclusive data that shows that thay ACTUALLY work. Yes, there are testimonials. That's all. I have used the suits and I will not bad mouth them at all. Most of today's hunter's are going into the woods cleaner than ever, which helps with the overall effectiveness of the suit. I am sure they have their purpose, and hunter's want everything in their favor when hunting. I am still a firm believer in destroying the bacteria on the skin, which is what leads to odor in the first place. The suit contains the scent, does not elliminate the scent at it's source. Staying clean at skin level is the key to success, and keeping the clothes scent free is also an added bonus, regardless of the type of suit. Good hunting!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I looked into this subject myself. I deal with carbon media everyday as a water plant operator. I have not yet to find what type of media they use and the % of carbon in the clothing. I only use a Contain t-shirt and pants when I hunt. I do not use any of the other clothing products on the market for scent control outside of scent control sprays. I do have this problem though....the price of the Scent-Loc and other carbon clothing is expensive. I will also agree to leave it hang on the rack unsealed is not good. Any carbon clothing that is not sealed is doing it's job of adsorbing it's surrounding odors and depleting it's usefulness. I am not knocking the product. But without a better understanding of it's effectiveness over a long period of time, I find it hard to spend that kind of money.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I beleive in them 100%. I went hunting this evening, and when I got out of my truck it was 90 degrees and I do not have a clue what the humidity was. As I walked to my stand and climbed into I was sweeting like a stuck hog. About 30-45 minutes after I got into my stand some hogs came out, ALL down wind from me. Here I was sweeting from wearing my scent blocker, and the hogs were down wind from me. In fact they never knew I was there until my arrow met it's target:D. So, if you ask me, YES they work!!!!!!

·
74,535 Posts
all I know

Is the guys that used them on my lease see more deer. Thats what got me to pay that kinda money for one. Yes they work.
Being big guy and walking long way I sweat also. I usally keep my in bag and put on in stand. Like I said place a onion in one and try to smell it, surprizing.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I DO believe in them 100%, but I also agree with the following 100%, as well :

"I am still a firm believer in destroying the bacteria on the skin, which is what leads to odor in the first place. The suit contains the scent, does not elliminate the scent at it's source. Staying clean at skin level is the key to success, and keeping the clothes scent free is also an added bonus, regardless of the type of suit."

I think that meticulous hygiene, combined with keeping your hunting clothes from picking up any scent, are ATLEAST as important as scent lok... Lastly, I ALSO agree that thename brand scent lok suits ARE astronomically priced for their usable life, and what they actually are - that's why I use the chem suits - at one point, they were on sale at the Sportsman's Guide, and I bought a bunch of the OD ones for $6 apiece, and some of the camo ones for $12 apiece - I wear a camo one ONLY when it's too hot to wear more than one layer, and carry it into the stand, dressing just before I go up in the air - then, as the season gets cooler, I use the OD ones under my normal camo.... I use a chem suit for a season or two, then give it away to someone who hasn't ever used one, and break out a new one for myself - every person who's ended up with one of my used ones has reported a positive impact on their hunting after wearing the suit...

As for myself, I've been adopting the above rituals for about 5 years now, and during that time, have taken nearly as many deer as I did in the previous 20 before that - I'm convinced!!!!

- georgestrings

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Re: Just do onion test

Daniel Boone said:
I take a onion and place it in the hood and try to smell it. You cant. Carbon does absorb scent. That tells me it works. Mine is atleast two years old. I can say that they cant be worn it warm weather, dont breath at all. I do beleive they help. No such thing as totally eliamnating smell but I have had deer come from downwind that normally would have smelled me.

I can say that they can't be worn in warm weather,they don't breath at all.
THis is why I never got one,I feel that sweat is the biggest giveaway to anyone in the early part of season.
Later season scent would'nt be as bad,so I never felt that they were worth it if their to hot to wear them in the first few weeks.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts