Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well made some adjustments was told to shorten my draw 1 inch then was told by Larry Wise to lengthen 1/2 and to straighten my arm so here we are.. Just like to see what you guys think.. I love for you guys to give me a look over.. Thanks guys..

·
Registered
594 Posts
I think your right in the ball park. Just curious as to what length you have it set at, and your height.

·
Registered
594 Posts
To me, it looks pretty good. Nose to string, head straight, arms AOK, no arm guard, so I'm assuming that you're not getting any string slap on your bow arm, that a good sign. If it's comfortable for you, then stay put and enjoy. Sometimes we let our minds get the best of us and get so wrapped up in the technical side of archery that we soon forget that having fun is really what it's all about. ( Just my $.02 worth.)

·
Banned
9,743 Posts
To me, it looks pretty good. Nose to string, head straight, arms AOK, no arm guard, so I'm assuming that you're not getting any string slap on your bow arm, that a good sign. If it's comfortable for you, then stay put and enjoy. Sometimes we let our minds get the best of us and get so wrapped up in the technical side of archery that we soon forget that having fun is really what it's all about. ( Just my $.02 worth.)
Same here...
looks good to me:)

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
Joe, I would say you are still a little long. I would also say your anchor is a bit high as well (meaning, raise your peep a bit). The draw length being a little long is still causing you to lean away from the target. I will say that shooters like Reo Wilde have that same lean but their DL is perfect. Reo is also one of the BEST shooters in the world!! I think the two issues listed above are also causing your head position to lean into the peep (or towards the peep) instead of being in an up-right position. This usually, and say usually, means your stance (your feet) and your upper body (shoulders) are twisted causing undo stress in your form. This will make it harder to produce quality shots later in the round and a breakdown in that form. I don't know if you are aiming at a target that is sitting down on the ground or if you are just standing at full draw and not really aiming at anything. Either way, we need a picture of you at full draw with your bow arm level to the ground. I believe this what is causing your bow shoulder to be in the UP and Back position it is in. If you FEEL like you are level to the ground, then that is another indication of the issues listed previously.

Again, this is my opinion, just viewing the pictures provided. God bless:)

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
My first question is how are you shooting? Is the pin able to float and are you able to execute a sold BT shot while letting the pin float? From the looks of the pics,it looks like your pin is not able to float and wants to jump around a little.

If the pin is able to float,you are probably fine.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Get a good coach local to you before these guys have you shooting a 26" draw.

·
Registered
6,113 Posts
My first question is how are you shooting? Is the pin able to float and are you able to execute a sold BT shot while letting the pin float? From the looks of the pics,it looks like your pin is not able to float and wants to jump around a little.
How can you see that on the pic´s??
No bashing just an honest question!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Can't tell your aiming down hill. You not bending at the waist, but lowering your arm. If you had your bow at 90 degree I could tell better. The yellow line shows were your waist should be compared to your bow. Other than that it looks good

Attachments

·
ArcheryLessonsOnline.com
2,013 Posts
It looks about 1/2" long to me, but keep this in mind... The position of your head gives away some details in thsoe pictures.. I see your head leaning back along with the string position on your face as being a little too far back.... The ONLY way to adjust the location of the string on your face & you head lean is going to be to use a longer D-loop. Now, once you make this change, the bowstring will be further forward on your face, causing you to be required todrop your head slightly to touch your nose to the string. The other effect is that the overall length of "the system" will be longer, which may require you to shorten the DL of the bow slightly, but I would like to see pictures with a longer D-loop before making that change.

Measure your current D-loop inside to inside & then install a new one that is 1/4" - 3/8" longer.

-Adam
www.ArcheryLessonsOnline.com

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Hehehehehe

Hehehehehe Holy jeepers!!! thats funny, and yet a good decision. He ain't long enough.scrunching that bow shoulder up like that looks strenuous man . I did that for years and it ruined me Im just now getting used to my correct D/L 3 years later. I feel for you bro. did you get my PM?

·
Independent Joe
5,224 Posts
I agree with NEVADAPRO. Raise your peep and stand up straight you may need to shorten it a little. It looks like you are going to the string not bringing it to you. But the important thing is how are you shooting. You need to find what works best for you.

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
I think 26" is a little short!! No one said 2-3", but he is long by about an inch. And you would be surprised how many "guys" on here are certified instructors/coaches!!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I think 26" is a little short!! No one said 2-3", but he is long by about an inch. And you would be surprised how many "guys" on here are certified instructors/coaches!!
You would also be surprised at how many of us have actually had certified instruction from some very qualified instructors.Some that have even coached students to set world records.

He is at 28" now and that would put him at 27".He is 5'11" tall.Might be time to start considering other issues besides draw length too long.

How can you see that on the pic´s??
No bashing just an honest question!
Not saying it does but certain form problems and draw length issues will cause it.That is why I stated in the form of a question.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Good point made Tfox1. Just take a picture of yourself when your holding your bow at 90 degrees draw a line up your bow axles to axles than from your belly button up to just under you eye. The bow line and the line from your belly button to just under you eye should be parallel with the line from axle to axle on your bow and your draw or arrow nock should be on the line. Use your waist to aim lift, right, up and down not your arm. Try it just aim at the target and move your sight around by moving your waist. If you move the sights with your arm you will be per loading the shot. Lets say your sights are just to the right and move your arm to the lift to get it on the spot your per loading it then you will shoot off to the lift or to the right of the spot because your pushing the bow that way to get your sight on. Thats what we call per-loading the shot. When shooting a five spot indoors square up to the center bull eye and then put your sight on then move to one of the other spots just move at the waist you will see how much you can move your sights by just moving at the waist. I lot of bowhunters make this mistake out of a tree stands and end up shooting high or low when shooting down on some thing. If you look right at the spot hold your bow out draw you should be close to being on the spot Lets say If your way low you need to lower you anchor or peep. Move your anchor or your peep a little so you can look at the spot draw the bow and your sights should be close to being be on the target.. This is called eye and hand coordination. When I shoot no madder if it's 20, 30 or 40 yards I just look at the target draw as I'm looking at the spot and my sights will be close to right on. I just keep looking at the spot and my sight will settle right in on the X with out even thinking about it.

Good luck

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
Nothing personal, but does that make YOU a coach?? I'm 6' 2" and have a 28.25" DL. The answers to the original posters questions are based on the pictures we were supplied with! But he did ASK the question! Maybe he doesn't have access to a certified coach or any kind!?!? And I don't believe ANYONE on here has mentioned that he shorten his DL by 2"! 1/2"-1" is the most he would need. But he is long! The shoulder is coming up due to the fact he is leaning back (away from the target). And when he stands upright, with the bow arm level to the ground, his DL will "FEEL" a little longer! So your assumption that because he's 5'11" he has to have a certain DL is totally incorrect!! Again, just my opinion!! And remember, we are all looking at pictures! Not standing next to the person we are trying to help!:)

You would also be surprised at how many of us have actually had certified instruction from some very qualified instructors.Some that have even coached students to set world records.

He is at 28" now and that would put him at 27".He is 5'11" tall.Might be time to start considering other issues besides draw length too long.

Not saying it does but certain form problems and draw length issues will cause it.That is why I stated in the form of a question.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts