Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still have my buck tag here in SW Iowa. Is it worth going out and trying to fill out over my xmas break (I am a teacher). I have access to some good leased ground...keys to doing it if it is worth it?? Any help welcomed...

·
Registered
749 Posts
Still worth it? What! :mg: Your in Iowa. I'm in northern Minnesota, and I was out last night in 10 below windchill, and it is still worth it to me, you wanna trade? Is this a trick question?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I'm in MN and still have my buck and 1 bonus tag left. Yes it's worth it. I would look for food plots, like corns fields or other foods that deer would look for in the winter. Last year I saw a couple of the biggest buck during the late season. I still have 3 weekends left and gonna be out there no matter what mother nature throws at me.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hunt any inside corners or cornfields you can find in the evenings.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry

I am not crazy...I have from December 21st - January 10th I believe. So I should hunt the same stands I used in the early season???? Is morning or evenings better? I assume no middle of the day sitting...

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
I am not crazy...I have from December 21st - January 10th I believe. So I should hunt the same stands I used in the early season???? Is morning or evenings better? I assume no middle of the day sitting...
If you have three weeks to hunt and you get out there as much as possible, you ought to be able to figure out where you need to be and when to be there.
Last January in N/W Missouri near Hamberg Iowa I saw deer moving at all times of the day. The closer to bedding I was the more movement I saw midday. The closer to food I got the more I saw early and late movement. This time of year I like to try to get close to the bedding areas.

Good luck,
marty

·
Registered
8 Posts
hunt food, and early to mid afternoon can be great. My nephew just shot a 4 year old, high 130's 8 pointer at 1:00 Saturday, in a food plot with turnips.

·
Let the Arrow Fly
5,487 Posts
Find where their bedding and where their feeding and setup closer to one or the other. Right now i got a little willow patch and a corn crib the deer are traveling back and forth. Sunday im gonna be sitting in my ground blind midway between both and hope a doe walks by....>>>----------->

·
Registered
585 Posts
Key words are in your post "good leased ground" Get out there. Hunt the food source or if you know of bedding areas get close to them and catch um going to the food.
good luck.

·
Registered
799 Posts
if i still had a buck tag it would be a no brainer... Heck i just have an anterless tag and can't wait for the gun season is over. I love hunting!

·
Registered
629 Posts
HUNT FOOD!!! I was watching 30-40 deer a day last year during my winter break. Dress warm, but stay out as long as you can. I saw a ton of them morning, midday and evening. Come to think of it I kicked a nice buck out of the field early morning.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
You have to be in area where the deer are yarded up. If you are not you will see no deer. When it gets cold deer tend to move very late in the day to conserve energy. You only have to hunt the last two hrs. of the day and most activity will be the last half hr.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I put my trailcam out a week ago and pulled it yesterday. The deer around here are moving at all times of the day:) Only thing to do is go out and try it..Funny thing is theres a NICE 8 walking around in the morning,afternoon and just before dark(about 430 here in jersey)

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
I killed the two biggest deer of my life in December in western South Dakota. You hunt the food and if it is really cold they like us will move when it is warmest early to late afternoon. Randy

·
Registered
Pearson PitBull
349 Posts
SOUTHWEST IOWA? OF COURSE I WOULD BE OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I hunt across the river from you in Ne. and I do my best in the second rut.
I took a nice P&Y a couple of years ago on the 27th I think. They usually respond to a doe can call if you see them heading the wrong way. Give it a try.

I hunted hard early this year and only saw a couple of shooters. Hope things change for me in the late season.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Cold weather means higher energy requirements for deer

The forage quality is also not as good as it was earlier in the year. This means that deer have to spend more time foraging to meet their energy requirements. Bucks that ran hard and lost weight during the rut need to eat more now to recover and make it through the winter. Find their feeding areas and set yourself up to intercept deer moving from their beds to food and back. If you have snow this shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Find terrain features, fences etc that funnel deer as they move along these routes. Play the wind and send us a picture. Good luck!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
great advice

I will get out there and show pics when I score!!!!

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
no its not worth it, stay home and let the rest of us hunt in peace...:wink:

better watch it.. the muzzleloader guys will be out as well. a little orange in the tree can help this time of year.

i will be out trying to tag what is left over from the orange army..hunt food and thick cover.

Tony

1 - 20 of 20 Posts