Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in east central Illinois and our Crops are way behind schedule, at least far behind the last ten year average of amount of crop harvested. Does everyone elses area still have the majority of crops standing?

In my past experiences, when there is alot of crop left standing, my deer sightings are usually alot lower than when crops are harvested. Has anyone else experienced this? I am anxious to see the reports and pictures rolling in to see if this is going to be the case this year.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
to me it has everything to do with it. Late harvest=:cry:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Same Here

I have the same problem don't see much if anything and the corn is still pretty green here in Henry county too..:cry:

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
did you have an unusually wet spring so the crops werent put in till later?we had an extremely dry summer which stunted some of our crops but they arent very far behind.we actually started combining corn today.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
I was thinking the same mofarmboy, I have seen alot of corn thats already gone her in central MO, seems really early....I can recall seeing corn standing in gun season before!! '94

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Yes sir. If there is a BUNCH of corn still standing that can really put a damper on things. An entire family can live in a small plot of corn and not come out till after dark if even then.

·
Registered
86 Posts
when ever we have had corn still in for season we dont see even half as much deer activity, but if you can find some of there major trails leading in and out try there.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thats interesting headzilla. I haven't had that experience yet.

If we get good weather for two weeks that is in the 70's with sun, i think a ton of crops will be out. If it turns cold and cool i think this part of Illinois is in for a long harvest. Corn is still testing right around 20 to 25% moisture and the farmers will not get it out until it dries down or starts blowing down. There is alot of talk about stalk rot, so that may help the farmers decide to get it even if they do have to dry it.

I remember about 5 or 6 years ago, the majority of the crop was out on opening day. My boss let me take off work that afternoon, in fact he offered it to me, i didn't even ask. But i have this strange feeling if i can make it to the woods by Nov 1st i will be counting my blessings......

·
Registered
376 Posts
I ussually don't hit it hard till Nov. Even then there will be a lot of standing corn where I hunt. That's not good at all.:mad:

·
Registered
51 Posts
macon county

I have the same thing happening here, late corn and bean harvest will make things alittle more difficult, Plenty of deer to hunt, I dont care if the corn and beans are behind ,,,,, I JUST GOT TO HUNT

·
Registered
51 Posts
macon county

I have the same thing happening here, late corn and bean harvest will make things alittle more difficult, Plenty of deer to hunt, I dont care if the corn and beans are behind ,,,,, I JUST GOT TO HUNT

·
Registered
174 Posts
we'll be fine, I bet it will be out by mid Oct at the latest. Deer do alter their patterns once the crops are gone but they're still huntable before. I'll be either in the woods hunting white oaks on on the edge of a standing corn field. I missed the largest buck of my life two years ago coming out of a corn field in early october, I was on the ground in a fence row and out he came........I just hadn't trimed enough little limbs while going in....:mad:

i watched deer come out of that field several times before dark, they always came out in the same place, a low draw intersecting a corn field.

My preference in early oct tho is hunting white oaks, I took a nice 140 P&Y last year on Oct 4 right before dark. He was coming to feed on the acorns that were all around me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i live in central il and me and the other farmers started cut this past weekend mine will be all out by about a week after season but i got mine in on time most of the other farmers didnt plant on time this year..should all be out by early nov i would say but good luck to all this sunday!!

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
I have 81acres I hunt, half of it is standing corn, I will hunting that opening day in the evening. I love standing corn....:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts