Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I probably had one of my best hunts last night without dragging anything to the car:wink:

Our late archery runs till the 22nd. Shot my bow Monday after shotgun ended, still shooting darn good. Went out last night finally. 10 minutes in the stand 3 littles ones and a doe showed up, within 10 yards of my stand and there they stayed for what seemed forever. They finally walked off, another doe joined them and then 2 bucks showed up 10 yards from my stand...a 1 antlered spike and a 6...not the big buck I was after but I was ready to take him...any buck late archery would be a trophy to me, especially since I've only started hunting the late season last year. Got drawn back on him as he was walking by, just got the pin to his shoulder and he snorted, ran back up the hill, stopped quartering away at 28 yards-ish. I decided "You win buddy" and let him keep going. Could have made the shot, but it was enough for me to just have all those deer within range. We didn't seem to spooked, he walked off down a trail where the doesand little guys went. Got a good wind again tonight so will be in that same stand. It's about 100 yards in some hemlocks, from a corn field that looks to be hit hard by the deer so we'll see what comes out hungry tonight:wink:

It isn't always about the killing. I'd have been thrilled just to see a deer even out of range, but like 7 deer...that doesn't happen much in my area,lol

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
i'v seen more deer after shotgun than i have durning shotgun here in the fingerlakes also i'v hunting late season since i was 16 i love it better than shotgun season

·
Registered
815 Posts
Most of the big bucks I have shot are either September or December. I just waste my time sitting in a stand in October, don't see a whole lot in Novemeber. but the first week in December I don't miss.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
"Late season archery...doesn't get much better!".......

Unless you're hunting my stands:cry:

I haven't seen a deer in the daylight in 2 weeks, but I am getting trail cams of all kinds of deer in the dark. Oh well, keep pluggin' away I guess....

·
In constant pursuit of...
8,435 Posts
I commend you! ^5!,.....Congratulations on recognizing a successful hunt. Anytime you raise the "bar", you will have to hunt harder. Keep watching that corn,...Mr. Big will show up. :thumb:

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
"Late season archery...doesn't get much better!"
you got that right. i have a hunt coming up starting Jan 1 for rutting Mulies. cant wait. i am so pumped right now. of course we spot and stalk out here and there are no corn fields but thats beside the point. the point is it will be awesome regardless of the outcome.

·
How`s it going eh?
4,065 Posts
It isn't always about the killing. I'd have been thrilled just to see a deer even out of range, but like 7 deer...that doesn't happen much in my area,lol
You are so right.The killing is about 10% of it for me or less. It is all about viewing wildlife and just the peace and quiet of being out there.Always nice when a mittfull of deer pass by though and you know you could have taken them!! :)

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
You are so right.The killing is about 10% of it for me or less. It is all about viewing wildlife and just the peace and quiet of being out there.Always nice when a mittfull of deer pass by though and you know you could have taken them!! :)
agree. whats the worst that happens if you don't let the arrow fly? the animal lives for another day. thats not so bad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts