Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How late will carp stay shallow and anybody know where they winter, esp on a flood control lake/river system?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Where I live you start to see them on or close to the surface in mid spring when they start to breed,then as summer goes on and the oxygen levels in the water gets lower they actualy start to breath/gulp air from the surface.
On really hot days In parts of my local river they hang just below the surface amoungst the willow trees,out of the heat and in the shade.
According to a fisherys officer I spoke to a few years ago,their still there during winter but they just stay deep.
I drive a truck for a living and I cross the local river half a dozen times a week.Makes for some irratic driving as I look for fish while I drive over the bridges.
Good thing the main bridge is one way.:wink:

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
You can find them shallow at night all winter long if the water is open. Up north, they shoot the heck out of them during the day in the winter in pockets of open water surrounded by ice cover.

·
Not perfect! but forgiven
1,224 Posts
Robin,

You can find them shallow at night all winter long if the water is open. Up north, they shoot the heck out of them during the day in the winter in pockets of open water surrounded by ice cover.
I'm still seeing them in the shallow pretty frequently right now (even though I don't have any pictures because I keep missing :embara: ).

Just wondering if in your opinion, the night thing is the best even in the winter or is that just when you get more of a chance to go out???

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
Under normal circumstances (no ice cover), I think night is the only time you will find them in the winter.

We are seeing lots of grass carp right now in the daytime as the river cools back down. Water temps in the 70's and they are active.

·
Not perfect! but forgiven
1,224 Posts
Robin

Thanks for the expertise..........I'm still trying to figure these things out.

With the recent rise in activity of fish around here, it has made it harder to concentrate on deer season prep. Man this sport is addicting:teeth:

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
It is deer season here, but we are still concentrating on fish! I am taking a half day off work to go chase those grass carp.

I don't know about expertise, but you are welcome for the opinions anyway...

·
Registered
509 Posts
Here in Ohio we are still finding lots of big carp to shoot in the shallows.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts