Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hunting NE Ohio cut bean fields. What do you guys think of using a buck tending a doe decoys at this point in the season? Has anybody had success using both this late?.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am of no help right now, but let's compare notes in about a month. We have an extended season here in WI and I plan on giving it a try on and off until the end of January. Almost every night the deer are coming out in the neighbors alfalfa about 500 yards away. Tried the buck decoy last weekend with some light rattling. There were does out at about 600 yards and they hardly looked up. Like you probably are, I am hoping a buck might just be pissy enough to come over to check on the decoy.

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
I've had mine out a few times, but no dice. HOwever, I was only getting about 20% success of bucks coming in during early/prime season. Prime season during the rut I was about 50%.

I will be going out tomorrow, and I was ironically looking at my Primos Scarface sitting in the backyard, as I keep it there during the season to keep it from stinking to much. NOT sure if I'll use it on one of the last sits or not.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After my original post I did online research. it seems the general thought process is use a doe since bucks no longer are looking to mix it up. I might try to use both of my decoys as does.

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
After my original post I did online research. it seems the general thought process is use a doe since bucks no longer are looking to mix it up. I might try to use both of my decoys as does.
I've done this, as my Primos hard body obviously can go without the antlers & then my Montana next to it. That has been my set up the last couple times out. THE doe that saw it stayed clear, and I haven't had a buck arrive, YET!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts