Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else pass up Does in the late season knowing that they are probably carrying next years fawn crop? Where I live here in Minnesota the population is as low as it has been in many years so while I was sitting in my stand last evening I starting think if a doe came by would I shoot it considering I haven't shot a deer yet this year. I will probably pass on any Doe I see now since more than likely they are pregnant now and I don't care to take out next years crop of fawns also. Anyone else feel the same way

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
re

In late season if I have a tag left, does are in trouble, cuz my family needs the meat. If there is a yearling, Ill take that one ofer the momma just because there is less of a chance that they are carrying(I think)

·
Registered
604 Posts
If I have tags and my freezer is empty I will not think twice about taking a doe. In MD we are very over populated so the does need to be thinned out.

·
NAASP
14,399 Posts
I would if...

Anyone else pass up Does in the late season knowing that they are probably carrying next years fawn crop? Where I live here in Minnesota the population is as low as it has been in many years so while I was sitting in my stand last evening I starting think if a doe came by would I shoot it considering I haven't shot a deer yet this year. I will probably pass on any Doe I see now since more than likely they are pregnant now and I don't care to take out next years crop of fawns also. Anyone else feel the same way
I was hunting at my land up north.

We had a bad winter last year and the numbers are down. Some does may not have been breed in November, and now would be when they would be in cycle again. Last spring I know we had some late births up north as I found on the trail camera newborns in June.

I'm hunting local in Hennepin county for the rest of the season and we aren't havin g any poplation problems around here.

·
Premium Member
5,259 Posts
Nope, we kill as many does as possible(tags allowing). Killed one yesterday with my M/L. We have now killed 7 does and one buck off my property. Still have until the 3rd. We could kill 10 does in the season and still have that many left, probably more.
Solohunter

·
save the decoys!!!!!!!!!!
7,033 Posts
id still shoot. if shes pregnant now, she was gonna get that way in october when u passed her. same difference to me.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
If I have a tag she is going in the freezer. However, in my part of the state does are plentiful. If I were in your situation I would probably do the same thing as you.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
id still shoot. if shes pregnant now, she was gonna get that way in october when u passed her. same difference to me.
I tryed to explain this to a guy at work yesterday that said he's gonna pass on does from now till end of season because they might be carrying.:confused:

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I tryed to explain this to a guy at work yesterday that said he's gonna pass on does from now till end of season because they might be carrying.:confused:
Have to agree, any doe, of sexual maturity, is capable of carrying next years fawns....so why make that decision now?

Here we have counties where you can hunt until March, those harvests actually have a fetus (or two) in them. The goal, by the DNR, is to get the heard size down.

Also, getting that buck/doe ratio down to 2:1 or 1:1 will do wonders for your heard, and your larger buck sightings in the future.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hey Buckhunter,

The question would be why is the population so low and how did it get there. You may be in the only place in the nation where the doe population is low. Most of us have the opposite problem. Way too many does.

From what I have read in order to keep your deer population at zero growth you would have to shoot 60% of the heard's population every year. That is probably impossible. So have you guys had some sort of disease occur??

In Oklahoma we shoot approx 1/6 or less of the estimated population annually.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Always

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Buckhunter,

The question would be why is the population so low and how did it get there. You may be in the only place in the nation where the doe population is low. Most of us have the opposite problem. Way too many does.

From what I have read in order to keep your deer population at zero growth you would have to shoot 60% of the heard's population every year. That is probably impossible. So have you guys had some sort of disease occur??

In Oklahoma we shoot approx 1/6 or less of the estimated population annually.
The DNR went over board for a number of years in giving out bonus doe tags and then last winter we had a hard winter with cold and lots of snow. So you add those two things together and you get a low doe population. Remember now I'm just talking about my area in east central Minnesota. Southern part of the state and of course down around the metro area they maybe over run with does but, not here.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
Guess I'm in the minority here. I hate to kill a doe that is more than likely preggers. Dispite what some think, we do not have an over load of deer here and the numbers are down. I also will not kill a doe with little ones either. No girl deer, no boy deer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts