Archery Talk Forum banner

Late season elk hunting

1150 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Brock-ID
How many of you guys late season archery hunt for elk? I was talking to the guy at the pro shop and he said he dosent hunt elk until the snow flys! by choice! Well I got dicked over in september by 10,000 sheep and one very upset gaurd dog that got a good dose of pepper spray so no elk in early season ne ross bow:) and no place to goose hunt so why not? What are the tatics? just spot and stalk? Find a migraton trail? also what is it like sharing the land with rifle hunters:( any info would be awesome iam very willing love to hike have a crappy dodge status so Iam used to hiking lol

thanks guys

colton
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
10,362 Posts
I go late season elk hunting and the area (s) I go are Archery only. Usually spot and stalk with some cow calling and lOtS of walking...:)

· Registered
1,002 Posts
I've taken elk with my bow during gun season. Wear orange. I've got a blaze camo vest that seems to work just fine for archery. If you can get them on the migration you can have some good hunting as more animals keep coming through the area. Usual spot and stalk and also spend some time by the big migration trails. It can be hard to get away from the gunners but if you walk that extra bit you usually can. Sliding an elk out on the snow sure beats packing it. Don't forget a plastic sled. And you'll like how clean the meat stays when you are quartering also the lack of heat and flies which are the bane of archery season.

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
I have hunted elk with a rifle for years.......so chasing them with a bow during the rifle or later seasons wouldn't be a whole lot different. They're easy to pattern once you know where they are.

· Registered
2,351 Posts
I saved my tag again this year for the late archery season in Idaho. My vacation time was cancelled in September and I now have 90% of the late season off. I can usually catch them coming down to the winter range depending on the weather. I have been more spot-n-stalk other than ambush them. I just have not found a migration trail that is worth sitting on all day. I have a new weapon for spotting this year.
Tripod Camera accessory Cameras & optics Grass family Spotting scope

· Keeping it Simple... ;)
1,926 Posts
Late season archery?Is this a controlled hunt or a general season? In our neck of the woods we have a A tag or B tag possible, the A tag gives a better opprotunity for archery season or the B tag a better chance for a Firearm. there is no late archery season... Im confused:confused:

· Registered
2,351 Posts
Late season archery?Is this a controlled hunt or a general season? In our neck of the woods we have a A tag or B tag possible, the A tag gives a better opprotunity for archery season or the B tag a better chance for a Firearm. there is no late archery season... Im confused:confused:

Boise River Zone
A-Tag
Archery only -- any elk
Nov10 - Nov 30

This is what I an refering to when I say "late archery season" It's is a general OTC tag.

There was an opportunity if you bought an A tag to hunt in the unit with a muzzleloader in September for anterless only. If you bought a B-Tag in this zone it is open for any weapon November 1st -- November 9th. Does this help clear up late archery season?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.