Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody getting into any elk yet? Rifle guys really got em scattered this year. Leaves and brush so froze its like walking thru cornflakes! Maybe some snow soon?

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
We saw some signs but nothing else the weekend before last. Last weekend with the cold and the wind, we didn't have any luck. Maybe the warm up this weekend will help?

·
Registered
827 Posts
went out last weekend and didn't seen much sign but hopefully that will change this weekend. I talked to some muzzle loader guys and they seen a couple of herds hope to get on them. I think this cold weather has them hold up.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I guess my dad and uncle both killed spikes in the walla walla unit a while back, good year for elk in the ole' looking glass area...other side of the JL road of course.

·
Registered
85 Posts
cut some fresh tracks but never could catch up. Lots of sign, few animals.
Verry frustrating. I was out the other day about an hour before sunup I could see this pickup go up one road come back out, go up another, come back out. then they made a corner and you could see a bright light coming from the passanger window. Damm poachers.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
If the weather would do anything other than what it is doing it would help. Small broken herds arent helping either.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
cut some fresh tracks but never could catch up. Lots of sign, few animals.
Verry frustrating. I was out the other day about an hour before sunup I could see this pickup go up one road come back out, go up another, come back out. then they made a corner and you could see a bright light coming from the passanger window. Damm poachers.
Did you report this? I'm so tired of poachers. I work my butt off to try an get a deer or elk and these loser are poaching.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Yes I did report it, but who know if they will do anything. I thought about trying to shoot there tires but figured that might be a bad idea.
Yeah, probably not that can be done, but at least you tried. No, shooting the tires out probably could have caused you more grief.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Poachers?

Sat 4:30pm, I'm sitting on the edge of a clearcut in the wind and rain in a closed road area. Probably 1/2 mile above me on the mtn, sounds like a war zone for a good 5 min. Sounded like 2 guys with semi-autos unloading on somthing...50 to 60 rounds in those few min. Target practice...right at dusk...closed roads...I don't think so! I'm going to call Miami Corp and game warden in the morn.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well the last weekend sucked. Finally after frezzing my @$$ off all weekend I got into a heard on Sunday. Tracked em and followed for just over 2 miles acording to the GPS got caught up worked my way in, needed about 20 more yards to to put the first cow in range, thought I was stealthy, ooopppps didn't see that branch, CRACK, GONE, END OF SEASON. Long walk back. Frustrating season. Time to practice and get ready for next season. Hope some had better luck.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Well the last weekend sucked. Finally after frezzing my @$$ off all weekend I got into a heard on Sunday. Tracked em and followed for just over 2 miles acording to the GPS got caught up worked my way in, needed about 20 more yards to to put the first cow in range, thought I was stealthy, ooopppps didn't see that branch, CRACK, GONE, END OF SEASON. Long walk back. Frustrating season. Time to practice and get ready for next season. Hope some had better luck.
Man that sucks! That elk hunting though Lol. A buddy of mine had a herd at about 20 or so,on the opener. He said they went through his only only shooting lane very quickly. No shot. Time to start getting stocked up for next year.

·
Registered
827 Posts
At least we only have to wait till august

almost the same thing happened to my brother and I only 20 yards away just to thick to take a shot. tried to get a little closer and the wind changed, I knew what was going to happen as so as I felt the wind hit my back 30 seconds later there goes the elk. end of season

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
The storey of my season, so close but could not connect. At least my son got to see some great action for his first real season.
The same story for me. Had some close encounters but nothing that would pan out. Still exciting though for my first year bowhunting. Before this year, I never got to experience talking to the elk and hearing them call back, plus the couple times that a cow busted us and barked for minutes on end. I can not wait until August.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts