Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at burning up a gift card and need some new late season gear.

What are some quality moderately priced jacket/bib combo's. preferably ones listed at cabelas. I need them to be quiet and warm.

Also what's everyone's experience on Rubber boots with 1000+ grams of insulation. I know the alpha burly's are sweet, but what about other brands???

thanks!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nobody?

I am curios how warm and quite the cabelas and redhead silent suede, fleece, etc is.

Also how well do cabelas and redhead insulated rubber boots keep your feet warm?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Cabelas was running a sale on MTO-50. I have the insulated bibs which are really nice. My next purchase will be the parka.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
i hunt late season in northern WI just off of Lake Superior, so I have hunted conditions similar to yours. Granted, the last decade of winters have not been too bad.

For late season temps near zero and below i do not fool around with rubber boots or thinsulate-- that stuff is fine for 30 degrees and above. Late season for me means pac boots with heavy felt liners, X-scent socks and two pair of moisture wicking, thick socks. Good wool will do as well, but i've grown very happy with some of the newer fabrics.

For clothing I find tightly knitted wool to keep me warmer than fleece. Polypropelene (sp?) long under, and then layer, layer,layer . . . depnding on how long you will sit and how far to walk to stand. If keeping warm on the stand means sweating walking in, I will not get dressed until I get near the stand. Sweat will make you freeze every time.

Depending where you are sitting, the trees will be open and no leaves --use the lightest camo patternyou can -Scent Lok vertigo seems a good late season pattern.

In the cold everything will creak and snap, the stand has to really be tight. I've also had plastic fletching shatter in the sub-zero.

Evey 15 minutes or so move your muscles, draw your bow, keep from tightening up.

Oh yeah . . . do not put your tongue on anything metal.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I might suggest looking into a Heater Body suit. The nice thing is you don't sweat on your way into your stand. This has killed me in the past. With the HBS you can stay warmer longer and don't have to worry about changing clothes, socks, etc.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
two words....

warm bag!!!!

see your private message!!!

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I haven't used it yet, but i just purchased the Cabelas Berber fleece with wind shear and it's some heavy stuff. Price was great, got the Jacket,Bib,Vest and hat for $250.00

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, guys, I was looking at the berber fleece actually. I like the lighter camo pattern and it seems like it would be quiet.

anything on the boots tho?? How to the cabelas and redhead 1000+ grams rubber boots compare to LaCrosse alpha burly

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Depending on how cold your area is, namely if you`re out in less than 30F, 1000 grams will not be enough.

David
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
we specifically I was looking at the cabelas 2000 gram rubber boot. I was wondering how the quality and warmth of them are.

·
Registered
670 Posts
If you're talking about the cabelas inferno I've heard great things about them. For late season I'm using cabelas whitetail extreme mt050 and rocky deer stalker extreme boots. I can handle a couple of hours in a tree at 10 degrees. I'm thinking of getting a heater body suit for those colder days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts