Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does your strategy for late season hunting change when the temps are quite a bit warmer than average?
Where I hunt in Wisconsin they are predicting low to mid 40's this weekend and then staying in the 40's all next week.

· Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I guess I should have said "warmer than average". This weekend's forecast is 10 degrees warmer than average.

· Banned
5,018 Posts
Late season here is the rut... Last week of season (first week of January) is about peak chasing. Season used to end before peak chasing until this year. First year ever that we'll actually get to hunt the rut here.

· Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Late season here is the rut... Last week of season (first week of January) is about peak chasing. Season used to end before peak chasing until this year. First year ever that we'll actually get to hunt the rut here.
Here in Wisconsin we are passed the peak rut. We saw the most rut activity during the second week in November, but archery season goes through the first weekend in January.

· The Impartial Archer
24,831 Posts
Does your strategy for late season hunting change when the temps are quite a bit warmer than average?
Where I hunt in Wisconsin they are predicting low to mid 40's this weekend and then staying in the 40's all next week.
I don't think temps in the 40's will impact movement........If the temps get to high I won't hunt. I wait for the fronts to move through because I have limited days I can hunt. Nothing better than some 60 deg days and then a front blows in and the temp drops 30 deg.

· Registered
2,094 Posts
I'm loving the forecasted late-season highs around 40 degrees. That allows silent entry through the softened snow that's been crusted by refreezing each night. With normal highs around 30, it's dang near impossible to get into your stand w/ out alerting the deer as they're usually bedded close to the feed this time of year. They typically won't move until right before dark this time of year anyways unless it's really cold.

· Registered
470 Posts
I wouldn't exactly call that "warm", but it is definitely warmer than usual for y'alls neck of the woods. Hunt the food plots if you have any, if not, then hunt near the local watering hole.
Hahaha, hunt the water hole? Most water holes are frozen by now. Day temps may tickle the 40 mark but at night is 20s and most water has an inch or 2 of ice.

Im taking this weekend off of hunting. Let the deer rest and don't pressure them after all the pressure they have seen from bow rut and gun season. Let them get relaxed again. I plan on starting my late season hunts dec 12th. Monitor cameras if you got em and wait for daylight movement. Most all of the deer on camera on 3 separate properties have gone nocturnal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
6,001 Posts
Hahaha, hunt the water hole? Most water holes are frozen by now. Day temps may tickle the 40 mark but at night is 20s and most water has an inch or 2 of ice.

Im taking this weekend off of hunting. Let the deer rest and don't pressure them after all the pressure they have seen from bow rut and gun season. Let them get relaxed again. I plan on starting my late season hunts dec 12th. Monitor cameras if you got em and wait for daylight movement. Most all of the deer on camera on 3 separate properties have gone nocturnal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yuck...I'll stay down here where it's relatively warm lol.

· Registered
2,826 Posts
ive been picking up late rutting activity around the yearlings this week, lots of mid-day movement around scrapes and doe bedding areas, them big rutted up bucks are just getting started on round two with the younger ladies or ones that got missed. good luck

· Vendor
28,364 Posts
Warm temps aren't going to make the buck stop looking for love. Winter months and being less the 50 degree keeps a lot of moisture in the deer's food. They do go to water but not nearly as much as late summer. For that reason I don't base a stand location over a water hole unless it happens to be next to a food source. Doe's that didn't get pregnant the first rut are now coming in and this year's fawns will start coming in heat. Hunt the does and watch for the bucks.:wink:

· Registered
178 Posts
I'm trying to stab a doe on public as I have an antlerless tag left... Must get out!!! I think the 40 degree temps are nice. They'll move a little late, but if you've got food, get on em.

· Registered
408 Posts
The only change in my strategy for the Upper Midwest and 40 degrees in December is: I'm actually going to get out and hunt! Are you kidding me?? That's a gift from old Mother Nature!

But like others said, barring epic weather, deer habits post November in these parts are the same: rest, eat, repeat. 40 degrees is not warm enough to stifle deer movements. Heck, we had 60s and even 70s for most of the Fall, and that didn't seem to keep us from knocking down deer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.