Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have a lot to learn about late season hunting.

My strategy is basically try and find the heaviest used trail and go and sit. I hunt a small plot of land just outside city limits. the land has 3 small foodplots that are coverd by snow.

Any way to improve my success? i have thought about some light gruntingj, but havn't done anything except sit in silence trying to stay warm.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Wear lots of layers and hunt all day. Make sure your top layer is wind and water proof. John Eberhart has two books that have some good info. on late season hunting.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
I still have a lot to learn about late season hunting.

My strategy is basically try and find the heaviest used trail and go and sit. I hunt a small plot of land just outside city limits. the land has 3 small foodplots that are coverd by snow.

Any way to improve my success? i have thought about some light gruntingj, but havn't done anything except sit in silence trying to stay warm.
go to weather.com and check the wind direction for your area on the hour to hour tab. check to see that this trail does not run the same direction that the wind is blowing from or too. that will be a starting point for where your stand is currently at. See if you can figure out where the deer are bedding. Set your stands in between where the deer are bedding and feeding. Start by setting up closer to the feeding areas, then if your not having any luck, move closer to the areas you think they are bedding at. Keep in mind, you don't want your human scent to blow toward where the deer are at or are coming from.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Food gets scarce this time of year.If legal consider using a feeder or bait pile.Done this in the past and it helps keep deer on or property in the late season.That being said most of the deer hit the bait after dark so try to find bedding areas and sat up between the two good luck

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
Deer can get very nocturnal late season, especially on ground that has seen lots of gun hunting. I saw try to get as close to bedding as possible and your odds of seeing them in shooting light will improve. Quiet set up is a must, and scouting is important. When you see fresh sign coming out of thicker cover, its worth setting up on for an evening post. Dont be afraid to set a stand up high in a place where you can see for a good distance, an observation stand can be a great tool to find out where you need to be that evening or the next morning. You may spend a morning or evening in a place where you have no chance for a shot, but if it tells you where the deer are moving its time well spent. You have to be prepared to put in the time scouting and moving or setting stands as deer movement changes alot. When you find the right place hunt it then, not in a few days.
Fresh snow can be used to see whrer you need to be, especially if there is standing corn or an especially thick area (cattails or thick crp or brush). walk the edge and see where the fresh sign is coming out, then set up. Dont go farther than you plan to set up to keep your scent out of the area.
My 2 cents.

marty

·
Registered
400 Posts
ttt. Great topic thanks for all of the advice. I am soon heading out for the late season too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts