Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to hunt in January in pike county again. I hunted there in October and vowed I'd probably wouldn't be back. But the guide has some openings in January at a decent price, so I'm figuring maybe I'll go back.

I can handle cold in most cases , but not sure how cold it will be . What's the weather like ?
Are the bucks still moving in January like in most parts of the country?
Anything I should know about late season ?

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
Could be 0 or 40 degrees. Bucks will probably move 5 minutes after last light. You will need to be hunting a good food source. Best chance will be if you happen to catch a major weather change like a big warm up after a major cold snap or catch one coming to food ahead of a major cold snap. It all about timing those events. Wait for one of those weather events and be in early in the afternoon.

·
Killin' Nothing but Time
596 Posts
Could be 0 or 40 degrees. Bucks will probably move 5 minutes after last light. You will need to be hunting a good food source. Best chance will be if you happen to catch a major weather change like a big warm up after a major cold snap or catch one coming to food ahead of a major cold snap. It all about timing those events. Wait for one of those weather events and be in early in the afternoon.
What he said. Last January it was around 10-15 degrees and I was hunting a draw that led to a cut bean field. I saw more deer in those sits in January than I did any other time of the year. With that being said, its hit or miss that time of year it seems like. Either you are covered up in them, or you don't see a dang thing. Gotta hunt the whole herd in January as opposed to October-December tactics.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
It's all about food sources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,594 Posts
In my area if you find one it will be a herd as they winter up & then where they feed. This is my yard & a common sight in late Jan after season is closed & especially if there is snow.

Attachments

·
Vendor
10,770 Posts
The price would have to be almost zero. Think how much pressure has been on a herd that has an outfitter hunting daily for three months. And then ask yourself would you move in daylight hours? Even with plenty of food you better hope the weather is brutally cold for a few days before you get there and there is still food available.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Is leaving standing corn and beans legal in Illinois? I was under the impression that you could only leave it if something of natural causes prevented you from combining it, like a tree falling over into the crop field.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Is leaving standing corn and beans legal in Illinois? I was under the impression that you could only leave it if something of natural causes prevented you from combining it, like a tree falling over into the crop field.
From the 2016-2017 digest:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts