Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be heading out next weekend in MN and I was just wondering what works best for late season turkey hunting in terms of decoys? Are the Toms less aggressive or more aggressive to the point they will come to my strutter decoy? Or should I just go with a couple of hens? Or a jake with some hens?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Hmmm... It's hard to say. IMO ,I think a small hen flock and a jake may work. Try it once. If it doesn't, change it up the next day. Even late in the season I think a mature tom will still NOT like a jake horning in on his ladies.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
They're like women, you never know what it'll take to get one interested. :shade:

Watch and listen. Chances are they will be more weary and less vocal if they have been hunted. Patience will go a long way. If you find good sign, hold tight and have confidence.

You may want to consider not using a decoy at all...especially in wide open spaces where the gobbler can see a ways. The weary old birds will want the hens to come to them...especially if they have a visual.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Here in Indiana, I would just use a hen or two. I rely more on the decoy being seen instead of my calling being heard. I haven't heard a turkey gobble for a week or so, but they still come in...and fast. You just have to be prepared because you'll never know when they show up.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Usually later in the season, the hens have been bred, and the toms are looking for more. Kinda like late night in a bar, or late fall in Canada. Usually they'll come to anything. Sometimes they do get decoy shy or call shy, and you have to change up a little, but if you try different calls til you find one that he really responds to, then he'll come. I always schedule my travelling hunts for late season. Only problem I've run into is if it gets hot too early. That will shut it all down.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
If the birds haven't been hunted this season than I'd pull out all the stops and use the Strutter and a Hen or two. Unhunted birds will/should be aggressive. Good luck on your hunt! Lookin' forward to seeing your pix!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts